Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Starter wont grab 07 Apr 2015 17:11 #667012

• david-b
  • david-b's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
  • Thank you received: 3
Alright so I ordered all the clutch parts today (sprocket, clutch assembly, needle bearing) and working on ordering all new gaskets and a new clutch cable. HOPEFULLY, get all these in soon and start getting her back together sooner than later. Have to teach the girlfriend how to reride her Vespa she got last year.

Speaking of Vespa's and slightly off topic, does anyone know of any good sites that have info about those scooters? Like with what oil to use, filters... basic maintenance info?
/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter wont grab 12 Apr 2015 09:09 #667637

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Where did you order it Dave ......... and what have you heard. Gear came in from Z power but no go for the clutch assembly from Cheap cycle ....(they still have my 112 bucks since I'm giving them a little more time or I guess I should say giving Kawasaki a little more time).

Didn't check with Z power on the assembly though as I have the rollers, pins and springs and would have approx 160 and 40 in the hardware on that alone if I ordered it there.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Last edit: by KZB2 650.

Starter wont grab 12 Apr 2015 09:16 #667639

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23

KZB2 650 wrote: Where did you order it Dave ......... and what have you heard. Gear came in from Z power but no go for the clutch assembly from Cheap cycle..... or anywhere else.

Kzb2, before I got my new starter clutch, I purchased a used one with low miles from eBay... You could rebuild it, if it even needs it, I've seen the clutch plate face and rebuild kits on fleabay...

I could let it go pretty cheap, just let me know....

Chris
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

Starter wont grab 12 Apr 2015 09:23 #667640

• KZB2 650
  • User
Thanks Chris but I may just rebuild mine or if it looks real bad I have a parts motor I will check out too.
1978 KZ650 b-2
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.

Starter wont grab 12 Apr 2015 09:48 #667644

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...

KZB2 650 wrote: Thanks Chris but I may just rebuild mine or if it looks real bad I have a parts motor I will check out too.

No worries man. I feel kinda bad because somehow I lucked out and received a new clutch assembly when u had been searching for months before me.... Not sure how cheap cycle got mine to me...

Anyhow, I got a whole parts lot before getting the new stuff, so if u encounter needing anything at all, I've got literally boxes full of parts..
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

Starter wont grab 15 Apr 2015 12:19 #668077

• KZB2 650
  • User
Well I'll be go to hell but cheap cycle parts just called and said they got a starter clutch assembly in and is shipping it out today.

Glad I stuck it out and glad you pointed me in that direction Randombeat. Now if I can only get over these constant migraines I've been getting for the last 6 weeks (and most of the winter) I can get out in the shed and get to work. :cheer:
1978 KZ650 b-2

Starter wont grab 15 Apr 2015 18:18 #668120

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...

KZB2 650 wrote: Well I'll be go to hell but cheap cycle parts just called and said they got a starter clutch assembly in and is shipping it out today.

Glad I stuck it out and glad you pointed me in that direction Randombeat. Now if I can only get over these constant migraines I've been getting for the last 6 weeks (and most of the winter) I can get out in the shed and get to work. :cheer:

I'm stoked man! I can stop feeling bad! That kinda stuff keeps me up at night!

What's changed in ur life since winter, since the headaches? New place, new job, something, anything? Maybe ur around some sort of allergy u weren't before? Stress increase?

Starter wont grab 16 Apr 2015 05:49 #668171

• KZB2 650
  • User
Nice of you to have worried but no I always blamed myself for not checking with them..... I even remember passing them by near the end of my search thinking that if Partzilla and Z1 couldn't get them they never could.

Thinking my head aches are a combination of things ..... started having vertigo problems 2 years ago (still do) and went to the doc and found out I had sugar diabetes along with a bad head ache maybe once every 3 weeks or so. Not a whole lotta stress but honestly I let little things bother me too much. Am retired (did at 62) and only work a couple half days in the warmer months for spending money (lately bike money). :laugh:

Was rear ended a few years before that knocked me out by a lady with a full sized chevy suburban so there is another factor according to the doc. I'll be alright just need to get the bike going and get out in the sun to shake things off. Hoping we all have good luck with these starter clutches ..... things could be worse.
1978 KZ650 b-2

Starter wont grab 17 Apr 2015 12:18 #668412

• david-b
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
So mines been on order from Cheap Cycle Parts since I last posted, they said it was on back order and won't be in til late next week. I asked again if that was a for sure date or would it be pushed and they said it'll be shipped then.

Well, it came in yesterday!!! Came in even before the rest of my order which is weird. I'm excited, time to start working!!
/Dave

1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

Starter wont grab 17 Apr 2015 14:09 #668421

• KZB2 650
  • User
Crazy I just got the assembly from them today even though I ordered it on March 28th but I"M NOT Complaining !!!. :)

I got a reading on the new gear at 1.663 inches...... I know there is a thread where a sleeve was made and Also Baldy went with the larger diameter gear that he had to get it to work so I just wanted to get that size out there. No idea what my used gear is yet.

Just pulled the clutch apart today and for the clutch housing nut it is 92019-015 for THE KZ650 not 92015-1555 like Ed and I thought in another thread...no sweat Ed I just wanted to correct it...... and the spring washer that goes under this is 92125-002.

!!! Note this is for the KZ650 and your guys 750 and 550 could be different !!!! Ready to pull the motor outta the frame after I get the motor mounts off but have a few weeks of things to do before I can get back to it. (I realize it can be done in frame but I really can't work laying down and hate the idea of laying it on its side although our mod hanging it from the rafters was pretty cool. :laugh:

Hoping you guys will share any problems or how things went when ever you get going on yours.
1978 KZ650 b-2

Starter wont grab 09 May 2015 06:34 #671235

• david-b
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
Hey all! Just wanted to post an update on everything. Firstly, thanks for everyones help, all of it was used.

After waiting to get all my parts in, it all came together pretty quickly. Assembled the motor on Monday, had it back in the frame on Tuesday and after some fighting with it couple other days, had her started yesterday. It seems like the starter clutch and gear were the problem, as she starts on the 1st crank everytime. None of that screeching sound anymore either when the gear used to slip.

Feels like she even runs smoother, nice throttle response and sounds healthy

Only problem is the oil pan is leaking right above where the oil cooler connects when it gets warm, so I'm hoping I can take the pan off no problem with the motor in the bike and redo that. Used a new gasket, but guess it didn't seal well.

2 questions: How does the spring on the rear brake switch connect? It came off and I cant find any good pictures of where it goes. Then also on that right side of the bike, right under the battery near the electronics, I have a tan wire with a round connector on the end to bolt it to something and I can't find anything about it in the wiring schematics. First I thought it was for the rear brake switch, but that tan wire is already there. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone! Can almost ride her again!!!

Attachment IMG_20150504_144454682.jpg not found

All new and ready for install.

Attachment IMG_20150504_145551979.jpg not found

My 3 vehicles altogether.

Attachment IMG_20150508_155050393_HDR.jpg not found

/Dave

1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc
Attachments:

Last edit: by david-b.