Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:What valve shims do i need if i know my clearences 05 Dec 2014 15:40 #655438

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
So do you own an 11mm socket or do you use 7/16" ?
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What valve shims do i need if i know my clearences 05 Dec 2014 17:57 #655445

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
I have both myself.
I was tempted to switch to the shim under style but after having threads come out with the bolts due to age and metal fatigue, I decided not to until I go for the big block pistons and cams. I do have Heli coils on hand for this reason.
Probably won't, too hard to keep a rear tire on this thing as it is.
One thing that comes with age, you don't have anything to prove. It's already been done.
Another thing and I know some will make something dirty out of it.
Working on your own machine, it's a nice feeling and there's security knowing what's between your legs.
Steve

Re:What valve shims do i need if i know my clearences 05 Dec 2014 18:19 #655450

• 80B4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 105

650ed wrote: So do you own an 11mm socket or do you use 7/16" ?[/quote)

I only have 3 sets of English sockets, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. I do have at least 9 sets of metric sockets, so yes I have several 11mm sockets and even a few 16mm sockets too. Don't ask about ratchets or vises, I have too many of those.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

Re:What valve shims do i need if i know my clearences 05 Dec 2014 18:40 #655451

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Always use the proper tool. :laugh:

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Re:What valve shims do i need if i know my clearences 05 Dec 2014 20:46 #655461

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

650ed wrote: For good or bad, that's where the world is headed. They stopped teaching celestial navigation at the U.S. Naval Academy years ago. Now they depend on satellites to tell them where they are. So when the bad guy knocks out the satellites the ships won't know where they are.

I use metric wrenches, bolts, etc. on the bike. As far as metric feeler gauges go, no they certainly are not a necessity, but considering they are cheap and the manuals show specs in mm rather than inches, why not use them? Ed

Ed..that's not aimed at you...or anyone in particular. It's a statement about our society more than anything. What have we come to? Where are we headed? That's basic math buddy... absolute very early elementary school stuff... :unsure: I've been around motorcycles for the better part of my 58 years. I have NEVER seen a mechanic go to one of those charts to adjust valves. I guess it's handy but certainly shouldn't by any means be a requirement.

Back in 85 the motorcycle school in Florida called me up one spring to ask if I'd consider giving a graduate an interview. I agreed. The kid came to the shop. I had 2 700 LTDs..the pretty maroon ones in for service. i put them up on lifts and had the 500 mile service parts all laid out. The kid showed up. I handed him my check list of things I wanted done to the bike...typical 500 mile stuff..Oil / Filter, check valves, synch carbs...etc.

He was doing one while I was doing the other. In the mean time I'm running around answering the phone, dealing with customers etc. In between I'm wrenching on the other 700. I get the valve cover off...check the valves, get the new gasket on... back and forth to the phone numerous times... So I get back to the bike again and the kid is wailing the living crap out of the valve cover on his 700. i walk over and politely ask...what seems to be the problem? He gives me the deer in the headlights look then says....cam cover won't come loose. I look, all the bolts that hold the caps for the clear air system are still in the cover. I point that out. He says that' can't be it. Now I'm pissed... I take the bolts out.... tap the cover with the mallet... It come loose immediately...just like I knew it would.

Did I hire him. NOPE...not because he didn't take those bolts out...but because of his attitude when I pointed out what was wrong and he wanted to debate it.... even though he didn't know his ass from his elbow :woohoo:
Larry C.

Last edit: by LarryC.

Re:What valve shims do i need if i know my clearences 06 Dec 2014 05:52 #655473

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
There's no cure for stupid. I used to get bikes in the shop with a box full of carb parts. When I'd give the estimate I'd hear, you want to buy it? NO. Some people are too stupid or cheap to pay once, they insist on making it worse, then expecting it to me made right for next to nothing.
"Had to learn the hard way to let it pass by." GD
Steve

Re:What valve shims do i need if i know my clearences 06 Dec 2014 09:13 #655487

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429

650ed wrote: So do you own an 11mm socket or do you use 7/16" ?

Personally I'd prefer if everything was in metric (what the heck is a fluid Oz ?) but if I didn't have an 11 mm socket to hand I'm sure a 7/16 would fit. :)
Trick question Ed?
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Re:What valve shims do i need if i know my clearences 06 Dec 2014 10:16 #655489

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

JR wrote:

650ed wrote: So do you own an 11mm socket or do you use 7/16" ?

Personally I'd prefer if everything was in metric (what the heck is a fluid Oz ?) but if I didn't have an 11 mm socket to hand I'm sure a 7/16 would fit. :)
Trick question Ed?

Just me being a wise guy. ;) 7/16" and 11mm are very very close to the same size.

I agree - fluid oz. is a strange use of the word ounce considering it measures volume not weight, so 1 fluid oz. of mercury weighs much more than 1 fluid oz. of alcohol. Then again, it seems odd to me than "oz." is the abbreviation for the word "ounce" which does not contain the letter "z". :laugh: :laugh: Ed
Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)