Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Your thoughts about my valve clearences. 17 Nov 2014 16:40 #653991

• Waynecarpenter
  • Waynecarpenter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My bike ran fine and one day it just stopped running. Looking into reasons why. Im looking into the valve clearances now. This is what i have. I was told by the forums that the ranger for clearances should be .003-.007. Should i change any of my clearances? Do you think these numbers are a reason why it won't start? When i try to start it , it will crank over and the far right carb will sometimes puff or pop or backfire. Should it be at .007 like the others.

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Waynecarpenter.

Your thoughts about my valve clearences. 17 Nov 2014 16:54 #653992

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That is not the symptom for valve clearances out of spec. It's far more gradual, and the problem initially shows up when hot. The bike should then start and run fine after it cools back down. After it gets hot, it will start to run rough at idle and may stall, but if you get on the throttle, it will seem to run ok (but this is a bad thing to do for any extended length of time since the valves will be getting burned).

You should consult the factory service manual for whatever bike you have to know what action to take on your valve clearances.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Your thoughts about my valve clearences. 17 Nov 2014 16:57 #653993

• Waynecarpenter
  • Waynecarpenter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

loudhvx wrote: That is not the symptom for valve clearances out of spec. It's far more gradual, and the problem initially shows up when hot. The bike should then start and run fine after it cools back down. After it gets hot, it will start to run rough at idle and may stall, but if you get on the throttle, it will seem to run ok (but this is a bad thing to do for any extended length of time since the valves will be getting burned).

That makes sense. Well since i have the tank, valve cover and wires and such out of the way should i adjust any of the clearances while i have the chance?

Your thoughts about my valve clearences. 17 Nov 2014 18:16 #653999

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
Yes, as long as you are already there,get the valve lash to spec.

Your problem is more likely lack of spark or lack of fuel.

You can test for fuel by looking at the plugs or by opening carb drain screws. If the plugs are wet with fuel after you tryto start it, then the problem is more likely to be spark related. If you drain one of the carbs and only a little fuel comes out, or the fuel is contaminated, the cleaning the fuel system may be in order.

You can check fir spark by removing one of the plugs and reconnecting it to its wire. Lathe plug on the engine where you can easily see the tip and where it will ground well. Try to start the bike while watching the tip. If there are big fat blue sparks, then that is probably ok. If the sparks are weak and yellow or there is no spark, that may bethe problem and an electrical system diagnosis is in order.

You did check that the kill switch is in the Run position and thatthe battery has at least 13.5 volts, right?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: