• Page:

TOPIC:

78 z1r turbo engine refresh 10 Nov 2014 23:32 #653343

• mrdatsunturbo
  • mrdatsunturbo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • mrturbo Norway
  • Thank you received: 2
Need some advice here ,i need to do an overhaul because of much vibrations in bike and burning oil.
So there is not many companys here in Norway doing jobs like cranck welding and balancing.
So maybe it is better to by a cranck in good condition, but what is it to look after?
when i see people adverting there is falicon,welded ,big starter end,small starter end so here i need some advice to buy the right parts for my bike.
I dont want the big big power but i want it fresh without burning and vibrations.
So my plan is 1105cc ,wiseco 10,25 and a J head .
But about the cranck i need advice because after reading there is a lot of types .Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 z1r turbo engine refresh 11 Nov 2014 05:43 #653351

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967

mrdatsunturbo wrote: Need some advice here ,i need to do an overhaul because of much vibrations in bike and burning oil.
So there is not many companys here in Norway doing jobs like cranck welding and balancing.
So maybe it is better to by a cranck in good condition, but what is it to look after?
when i see people adverting there is falicon,welded ,big starter end,small starter end so here i need some advice to buy the right parts for my bike.
I dont want the big big power but i want it fresh without burning and vibrations.
So my plan is 1105cc ,wiseco 10,25 and a J head .
But about the cranck i need advice because after reading there is a lot of types .Thanks

I have a Falicon crank and have had zero trouble with it , but mine was done many years ago I have heard that the company changed owners and their quality has been questioned, Don't know if true or not.

APE who advertises here does cranks , and a fellow name Pearson does cranks . I have no contact information on him.
If I were going to do the work you mention I would not buy anything until I had a firm game plan. Meaning are you going to have your crank rebuilt or buy a different model crank as this will have a effect on many other parts purchased. Boring your motor passed 1075 cc is not a good idea for a street motor as the steel liners will be to thin for the long haul. You mention a J head, All Good but again , have a concrete plan so you don't waste time and money.
On a street bike I would rebuild the crank I have to the specs recommended by the crank shop and go 1075cc, with a valve job head rebuild by someone like Larry C

Just My 2 cents
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

78 z1r turbo engine refresh 11 Nov 2014 05:58 #653354

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
a lil googling shows
John Pearson , near Dayton Ohio 937 839 9723
www.grccranks.com/
Clark Race Cranks (515-289-1734) Gary

hth,
leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

78 z1r turbo engine refresh 11 Nov 2014 16:56 #653417

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 175
I would recommend the lower compression 1075cc Wiseco pistons - their 9:1 piston kit is specifically designed to run in a turbo bike. 10.25:1 pistons have too high compression for a turbo setup.

You should get a welded crankshaft, but Falicon is a very expensive option. We have bought a Falicon crank for customer - nearly $4,000 for a new Falicon crank four years ago...

You are better off buying a good stock KZ1000 crank and getting it welded.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

78 z1r turbo engine refresh 11 Nov 2014 23:57 #653445

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20

Jeff.Saunders wrote: I would recommend the lower compression 1075cc Wiseco pistons - their 9:1 piston kit is specifically designed to run in a turbo bike. 10.25:1 pistons have too high compression for a turbo setup.

You should get a welded crankshaft, but Falicon is a very expensive option. We have bought a Falicon crank for customer - nearly $4,000 for a new Falicon crank four years ago...
You are better off buying a good stock KZ1000 crank and getting it welded.

Falicon is not the only expensive option where quality may be an issue. I've seen many places Jeff
that keep going up and up on price and most of the parts are crap and the service is a hipshot.
It's been bothering me for awhile now when I see total crap for much more money, After while
one tends to lose respect for those particular people. You get what you play for I guess.

78 z1r turbo engine refresh 12 Nov 2014 10:36 #653480

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Obvious i know, but check your alternator rotor before assuming the crank is twisted. The later 1100's had a problem with rotor magnets breaking, characterised by vibration through the bars and poor charging.

Maybe check your rings first before writing off the pistons. Also see what the comprssion ratio is - you don't want to overdo this on a turbo. The crazy fast zx750 turbo ran at a low 7.8 : 1 compression ratio.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

78 z1r turbo engine refresh 13 Nov 2014 00:29 #653551

• mrdatsunturbo
  • mrdatsunturbo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • mrturbo Norway
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks again it is a lot to think about in the tuning world.I will let you know

78 z1r turbo engine refresh 13 Nov 2014 03:56 #653558

• PaintWorkz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 68
If you don't want the big power just adjust the boost to 4 PSI max and it will live with a stock crank and pistons with good fuel.....But since you are rebuilding, go with a welded crank and forged low compression pistons ......just in case you feel the need to crank up the boost.
www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

• Page: