• Page:

TOPIC:

Another Question- Oil Pump Screen ??? 23 Oct 2014 15:50 #651555

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
Removed the oil pump off my 77' KZ1000A. The oil pump" Screen " or strainer has a lot of metal shavings attached to it. Can you remove these screens/strainers to clean them?
77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kzdcw.

Another Question- Oil Pump Screen ??? 23 Oct 2014 17:20 #651561

• DFIGPZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
YES just carefully pry it out.
1984 750 Turbo

Another Question- Oil Pump Screen ??? 23 Oct 2014 22:12 #651580

• bluezbike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
And then try to find out where those metal shavings came from............and eliminate the cause
79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

Another Question- Oil Pump Screen ??? 24 Oct 2014 18:54 #651665

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
Bluezbike, Actually weren't metal shavings on the oil screen, just dried oil spots? But the bike did have metal shavings found in the oil and pan. Even found a few thin feeler gauge thickness metal pieces about 1/4" square in size and slightly curved? Bike as most on the forum know was bought as a non-runner for over 20 years. Been abused but do not know any history about it.

Looking up inside from underneath with oil pan removed, don't really see anything that's really apparent? See the transmission gear cluster as with crank assembly, but nothing really jumping out at me as broken? Even removed oil pump and it looks good.

Bike had somewhat decent compression for sitting for such a long time. Had 90 lbs on all cylinder 1,3, & 4. 60 lbs. on #2. Check valve adjustment and was spot on with FSM. Even Timing chain looked good. Know it's going to need a rebuild somewhere or another. Right now just addressing all the externals on the bike and repairing them as I go. Have to wait for the finances before addressing the motor.
77' KZ1000A

• Page: