Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Engine Seized? Help! 16 Feb 2015 15:56 #661807

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
I don't agree, you can go KZ400.com if you don't believe me. Starting in 1974 on, listed as electric/kick.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine Seized? Help! 16 Feb 2015 21:31 #661833

• KZ Brat
  • KZ Brat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

floivanus wrote: I believe A LOT (if not all) kz400s dont have an electric start.

swest wrote: Don't bother with the switch. The kick start is meant for emergencies, not for every day use. Mine has lasted for 40 years that way. A lot of guys don't want to buy a battery but don't know the bike depends on it for everything. Look closely at the shift drum, shifting forks and the shift lever inside. My question would have been, does it turn over with the clutch pulled in and the starter is being used? Now you have it open, that doesn't apply. Pics?
Steve

It has an electric start. The previous owner cut the wires down to right above the starter to create a "bare" look.
I'm planning on using the electric start more times than kick when it's back up and running.

Engine Seized? Help! 16 Feb 2015 21:34 #661834

• KZ Brat
  • User

swest wrote: Don't bother with the switch. The kick start is meant for emergencies, not for every day use. Mine has lasted for 40 years that way. A lot of guys don't want to buy a battery but don't know the bike depends on it for everything. Look closely at the shift drum, shifting forks and the shift lever inside. My question would have been, does it turn over with the clutch pulled in and the starter is being used? Now you have it open, that doesn't apply. Pics?
Steve

And yes, the engine did turn over when the clutch was in when I turned the crank bolt but it didn't turn when the clutch was in when using the kick start

Engine Seized? Help! 17 Feb 2015 04:50 #661844

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
That's normal.
Steve

Engine Seized? Help! 17 Feb 2015 15:44 #661894

• KZ Brat
  • User

swest wrote: That's normal.
Steve

What's normal? The kickstart assembly making a loud noise causing the engine to shut off?

• Page: