Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

High RPMs when pull the clutch in at a stop 29 Sep 2014 10:39 #649111

• onuhh
  • onuhh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Apologies if something similar has been asked, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for in any other topics, so here goes:

Own two bikes: 1982 KZ440, and most recently a 2000 W650.

The KZ came with some problems, but has been running okay. One thing about it, though, is that it idles fine after warming up for a bit (1100-1300), but sometimes, as I'm riding around and come to a stop in first, pulling the clutch in all the way makes the RPMs jump up to 2500-3000. If I slowly let it out almost into the friction zone, they drop back down to normal.

Now, I just bought the W650 a few days ago and took it for a spin from Chicago to Madison this weekend. 20 minutes into the ride, it started doing this same thing when I would come to a stop! I pulled over, played with the idle screw for a second and turned the idle back down to normal. It was fine the rest of the way to Madison. Yesterday, right as I was coming back in to the city. same thing started happening. So it is somewhat intermittent and at this point, seems pretty random. Bought this bike from a dealer, they cleaned carbs and such when they got it in.

This "coincidence" with the two bikes almost makes me think I'm doing something wrong, but I'd have no idea what that could be.

Any thoughts on any of this?
1982 KZ440
2000 W650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

High RPMs when pull the clutch in at a stop 29 Sep 2014 11:23 #649115

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
Since you say the dealer just rebuilt the carbs,Check & see if your carb boots are all tight , if they are, then check & see if you have A Vacuum leak with bike idling as low as you can get it, & Not, while idling high, spray some carb cleaner, or starting fluid around the carb boots & see if the idle changes
P.S, wear safety glasses & be careful not to spray Flammable liquids around your exhaust pipe, as not to start a fire
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

High RPMs when pull the clutch in at a stop 29 Sep 2014 21:27 #649167

• el_patron
  • User
That's actually happening to my bike too. I'm interested in what comes of your bike and if you don't mind if I post about my bike in here so as not to double up topics.

High RPMs when pull the clutch in at a stop 30 Sep 2014 07:05 #649179

• onuhh
  • User
@pete greek1 thanks, I will try this and report back.

@el_patron no prob! Hope we can get to the bottom of this. Does your bike consistently do this? Mine does sometimes, other times it's pretty normal, and usually only happens after the engine has warmed up well.
1982 KZ440
2000 W650

High RPMs when pull the clutch in at a stop 08 Oct 2014 15:38 #650096

• onuhh
  • User
Alright, sorry for the delay in reporting back, the weather was not great in Chicago.
So I went out for a half hour/40 min ride the other day and tried the starter fluid afterward. It was idling at about 1500 when I parked at home, and I tried the spray a few times with nothing happening. One last time, when I got kind of on the under-side of the boot, I saw the rpms go up to about 2500.
So I guess my next course of action will be to take it to the shop at the dealership where I bought it and see if they can get a better seal on that?

Does it make sense that this only happens occasionally and only when the engine is hot? Last weekend, I rode from Madison to Chicago, with the high-RPMs-when-the-clutch-is-pulled-in thing only happening as I got back into the city. (A few hours into riding)
1982 KZ440
2000 W650

High RPMs when pull the clutch in at a stop 08 Oct 2014 16:17 #650104

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
If the carb holders (the black pieces between the carbs and the cylinder head) are leaking they should be replaced. Gooking them up with sealer is at best a temporary solution that will not last long. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

High RPMs when pull the clutch in at a stop 08 Oct 2014 17:09 #650111

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
The high idle is just a symptom of sucking false air. You can expect the engine to run hot because the mixture is lean too. Hope your valves have been checked lately because heat and tight valves is a bad combination.

High RPMs when pull the clutch in at a stop 23 Oct 2014 11:39 #651537

• onuhh
  • User
Thanks for the tips/feedback, everyone.
I think I have it taken care of. One of the carb boots was probably not perfectly tight/sealed. But the bigger thing was that the crankcase breather was letting in air, not sure how that happened, but it's properly connected again and the issue hasn't happened again since.
1982 KZ440
2000 W650

• Page: