Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Still not starting 23 Sep 2014 08:05 #648471

• ewolpert
  • ewolpert's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have checked compression of the cylinders and I always get about the same results. It is always cold and it is around 70-80 psi per cylinder. I thought this was low, even for cold. I have spent a lot of time on this thing and am starting to believe I should just part it out. Any thoughts?
Eddie
78 KZ650 b2a

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Still not starting 23 Sep 2014 11:26 #648521

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 60
Yea, that is low. Please run another compression check, cept this time add a lil'squirt of oil to the cyl before the test. Let us know what your results are... and give us the specific PSI per cyl.

I guess you next test will be a leakdown test, but one step at a time.

edit: OH, and now I see you got another thread about this same problem. Next time please stay in one thread so we don't rehash the same things over and over... K?
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/595692-low-compression-causes#646789

edit: Another thought... honestly, if you don't have this engine in a frame and it fires, you may not like where it wants to go. So, if it's out of the frame, how are you supplying power to the coils? Got a wiring harness laying on the ground??? Talk to us...
C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

Last edit: by !Seymore.

Still not starting 23 Sep 2014 14:04 #648541

• ewolpert
  • User
Honestly, this bike is giving me fits. I forgot I even started that other thread. I now have the motor in the frame and it is wired up. I am not getting ANY firing. None at all. Initially I was getting a random fire every once in a while but now I am getting nothing. I will add a little oil and check compression again.
Eddie
78 KZ650 b2a

Still not starting 23 Sep 2014 19:11 #648582

• ewolpert
  • User
So, I have in the meantime, checked the coils,spark plugs, points, and condensers. All appear to be in working order. I did notice my main coil are showing 5 Ohms and my secondary are showing 14.5 kOhm rather than 23ish. I dont know if this is outside of the range. I am not getting any "pops" at all no firing.
Eddie
78 KZ650 b2a

• Page: