Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hey I need some help with my first bike. 22 Aug 2014 22:36 #644852

• ewolpert
  • ewolpert's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought a 77 kz650b and it is in pretty rough shape. I am trying to do some things to get it running and need some help. Is there any way to replace the handlebar controls with aftermarket/newer stuff. Also I missed this when I got the bike but I was wondering if there is a way to replace the exhaust studs as one of them is broken.

I may be in over my head.
Eddie
78 KZ650 b2a

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hey I need some help with my first bike. 23 Aug 2014 03:37 #644858

• JimB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Congrats on your new purchase. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun riding it. If those are the only two major issues then you will be on the road in no time.

For after market controls,...yes you can find them. E-bay, red line cycles, Z1 enterprises are some sources. Also post a wanted add on this forum and you may have some luck.

For the exhaust studs,...welcome to old motorcycles. The good news is that they can be removed. Assuming it is just the stud you can order new ones and they screw in. I would get one that way in case you have to drill the old one out you will know how deep it goes. For getting them out,...nothing fancy here. Soak them over night or longer with WD40 or your choice of some anti-seize liquid. Then if you can grab it with lock pliers just screw out counter clock wise. If you can't then I would recommend a left handed drill bit,...keep it oiled and drill dead center of the stud. Usually this will eventually grab and the stud will be removed or drill until you reach the end of the hole and remove the drill bit and the stud will loosen and can be removed.
Do you have a pic of the bike?
Good luck
Jim
1978 KZ1000A2, 1980 KZ1000E, 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD

Hey I need some help with my first bike. 23 Aug 2014 05:46 #644863

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Soak the stud with Kroil for 2 or 3 days before attempting to remove it. Also, check out the link below for some general information on maintaining a KZ as it can save you some headaches and money. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

Attachment Kroil_2014-08-23.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Hey I need some help with my first bike. 23 Aug 2014 18:27 #644939

• ewolpert
  • ewolpert's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I will get a pic up soon but its pretty bad. Those are not even remotely my only challenges. I got the studs out and found you can screw in M6 bolt in its stead. The real problem I have is being gullible. The bike is in rough shape. I may need to tear it down and figure out how I am going to be put it back together. I would like to change out:

Wheels
Exhaust (maybe a canister instead of megaphone that do not fit correctly.)
seat (for cafe racer style)

What doesn't work:

Electrical is a mess ( was told this was the only problem with the bike)
No brakes
Right hand switches fell apart
pretty sure the master cylinder was used to transport coke.
Oh, and the frame has like 3 coats of paint on it, all different colors.

I am in a bit of pickle. So much work.
Eddie
78 KZ650 b2a

• Page: