Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cam chain tensioner 19 Apr 2014 04:51 #629569

• wikreigs
  • wikreigs's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 83 650. I am wondering if there is a procedure for adjusting the cam chain tension

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cam chain tensioner 19 Apr 2014 05:27 #629571

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Automatic tensioner. Known to jamb up on occasion so you might want to verify yours is functioning as designed.

Best to put the engine at 1-4 TDC before removing tensioner to check.

Last edit: by Nessism.

cam chain tensioner 19 Apr 2014 06:41 #629575

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYou might want to consider getting a manual tensioner. ApeRacing & Krieger.

If you need a service manual, search eebbaayy for KZ650 manual. Don't get a clymer.
Although your bike is the 83 model, you can probably use the 81-82 KZ650 manual.
KZ650.Info - Factory Service Manuals and parts list info - see reply #52 for info about the 81-83 manual

In the mean time, the Files page of the following site has the 81 650 pdf manual.
jarlef z650

1983 KZ650 supplement page for the F4/H3 models:

Last edit: by martin_csr.

cam chain tensioner 20 Apr 2014 09:22 #629724

• wikreigs
  • wikreigs's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Is the small screw on the side a locking screw? Does it have to be loosened to realease tentioner? Or does it work without touching anything.

cam chain tensioner 20 Apr 2014 10:17 #629729

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Do not remove that small bolt - it fits into a groove of the push rod to keep it aligned & keeps the push rod from falling into the engine. Since it's pushing against the cam chain guide, I don't think it'll fall in, but the manual has the warning & removing it won't do anything to reset it.

I believe you can reset the tensioner by removing the wedge, but you should read up on the tensioner carefully before doing anything. The wedge is under the big cap - you need a 17mm socket to remove the cap.

I'm assuming your tensioner is the Cross-wedge type (there is also a ball-lock type mentioned in the manual).

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: