Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Head Gasket leak? 18 Apr 2014 12:06 #629508

• 82KZLTD
  • 82KZLTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm new to this forum and seem to have a leak on the left #1 cylinder also on the #4 right cylinder. Ive read on some forums that the head (nuts or bolts?) are a 1 time torque and some people have had trouble with breaking them off when attempting to re torque them? Should I look out for this? I just bought this 82 KZ 750 LTD with 35,000 miles on it. Any input is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Gasket leak? 18 Apr 2014 14:13 #629522

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
What type of leak, oil or comrpession and no the head nuts are not known to break if torqued correctly. The cam cap bolts will strip out easily maybe those two are getting confused with each other.

Head Gasket leak? 18 Apr 2014 14:20 #629523

• 82KZLTD
  • 82KZLTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I believe oil. I can see micro air bubbles when bike is running. Thank u for the reply

Head Gasket leak? 18 Apr 2014 15:15 #629528

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

82KZLTD wrote: Hi, I'm new to this forum and seem to have a leak on the left #1 cylinder also on the #4 right cylinder. Ive read on some forums that the head (nuts or bolts?) are a 1 time torque and some people have had trouble with breaking them off when attempting to re torque them? Should I look out for this? I just bought this 82 KZ 750 LTD with 35,000 miles on it. Any input is appreciated.

Hard to say after all these years what an old stud, nut or bolt might do. When those bikes were new they were prone to head gasket leaks. We warrantied lots of them and always reused the nuts. Never had problems with them.

I don't reuse the main bearing bolts on KZ900/1000/1100 engine cases though. Always new HD APE studs for that.
Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 82KZLTD

• Page: