• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ550 Cam end caps 15 Apr 2014 16:51 #629154

• nickleo373
  • nickleo373's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 33
Hey everyone.
My 81 Kz550 started leaking oil from the cam end caps and it's splattering oil all over the outside of my air box while I'm riding. Does this mean the cam end caps are bad or do they just need to be resealed with gasket sealer? My valve cover gasket doesn't appear to be leaking but is it a normal thing to replace when the cam end caps are leaking?
1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ550 Cam end caps 15 Apr 2014 16:59 #629157

• NHenneous
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I would replace both while you have the valve cover off
NHenneous

KZ550 Cam end caps 15 Apr 2014 22:31 #629200

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The 550 uses bolts through the cam end caps so they usually don't have a problem with leaking like some of the bigger KZ's. A clean up and a little silicone, (very little) around the cam ends should seal it up as long as nothing is cracked.

Can't remember if you've already had the cover off, but if not, you should read the valve cover/valve-train warning in my signature.

KZ550 Cam end caps 15 Apr 2014 22:49 #629201

• nickleo373
  • nickleo373's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 33
I'm thinking I might as well just replace the caps since they have to come out anyway. Do you recommend just using silicone on the new caps or should gasket sealer be used? Just read the valve train warning. I'll make sure the tensioner is removed. Thanks
1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

KZ550 Cam end caps 16 Apr 2014 09:39 #629220

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I use a very thin smear of red RTV. If the rubber is hard and brittle, I would get new ones, but the old ones are usually fine.

I clean the gasket surfaces to a smooth semi-polish, then use a smear of antiseize on the gasket. It comes off like new next time, and can be reused (as long as it goes back on in the same orientation).

You don't have to remove the tensioner, just the 17mm cap, spring and crosswedge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickleo373

KZ550 Cam end caps 17 Apr 2014 16:29 #629437

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
For many years, I reused the hardened end plugs using sealer. Any good silicone sealer will work. I would always seal the curved surface and set the plugs in and align the tops with a straight edge and let the sealer dry overnight. Then when installing the valve cover gasket, I put a line of sealer across the tops of the plugs plus a couple of inches to make sure and get a seal.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: