TOPIC:

Oil leak after first change 09 Apr 2014 20:19 #628492

• Spikito
  • Spikito's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I picked up this 82 KZ1000 last week. Supposedly its sat for a bit

I pull the drain plug, nothing comes out, plug is oily though

I pull the plugs and put in some marvel but i did spill some. I also took off the brake calipers and spilled a bit of brake fluid.

I go out today and there's an oily spot on the garage floor, I figure its excess marvel and brake fluid. I roll the bike around in gear, and the pistons cycle up and down just fine.

I pull the filter cover and quite a bit of water dumps out, no oil. probably half a cup or a little more. I put in a new filter, and it come with 3 rings, one for Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. I put the Kawa ring back in, but I noticed it seemed quite a bit skinnier than the one I removed. It fit in the groove, but like I said, skinnier. The Yamaha O-ring seemed to be exactly what I pulled out, and fit perfect, so I put it back together, and filled it oil, 3.7L. it took about a minute for all the oil to run out on the ground, around the filter cap....and MAYBE around the drain plug, iI think some oil just ran across the case and dripped off the drain plug, but I cant be for certain.

Please tell me there's a rookie mistake I made? I've changed the oil in cars hundreds of times, this didn't seem any different

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil leak after first change 09 Apr 2014 21:29 #628499

• nickleo373
  • User
  • Thank you received: 33
Double check that the o ring around the filter housing is in place. Sometimes the o rings get crumbled up in the packaging and don't seat properly which gives it a bad seal
1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Oil leak after first change 09 Apr 2014 21:59 #628503

• Spikito
  • User
are you referring to the O-ring that came in the box with the filter?

Oil leak after first change 09 Apr 2014 22:09 #628504

• nickleo373
  • User
  • Thank you received: 33
1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Oil leak after first change 10 Apr 2014 11:07 #628565

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
And after installing rubber gasket to cover, did you prime it with oil, & do NOT install it dry ...Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Last edit: by pete greek1. Reason: changed wording

Oil leak after first change 10 Apr 2014 18:21 #628621

• Spikito
  • User
I grew up working in a lube shop, and always primed the filter. But with this being exposed I have no idea how to prime it. .....But then again, after filling the crank case, all the oil came out of the fliter housing, so it probably get primed then, lol

Oil leak after first change 10 Apr 2014 19:26 #628628

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
The idea is to wet the o-ring with clean oil so it doesn't stick to the oil pan. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Oil leak after first change 11 Apr 2014 07:02 #628659

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
If you pulled the drain plug and nothing came it, it means you still have 3.7 quarts of oil in the engine, so if you added another 3.7, you have 7 quarts in there and I wouldn't be surprised it overflowed. Just for info, only oil in the filer will drain when the filter is removed, so in other words removing the filter will not drain any of the sump regardless of how full or empty it may be. So there is either a major obstruction to the drain plug, or you removed an oil gallery plug and not the correct drain plug. Happens quite often, no offense, but you need to get the old oil out before new can go in as I seriously doubt the engine had no oil in it.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Oil leak after first change 11 Apr 2014 16:05 #628726

• Spikito
  • User
When I opened the regular drain plug, just like you would on a car, nothing car out, the drain plug was oily, and what i stuck my finger in the drain, the surrounding case was oily inside. When I removed the filter, a cup or so of clean water came out. When I replaced the filter and refilled with oil, the oil ran out from the filter cover....I think I messed up the o-ring re-installing. Looking down in the fill neck showed no oil, before hand, and the window on the side of the case showed no oil.

The back has apparently been sitting for 8 years, It wouldn't surprise me that the oil leaked out over time

All the oil that leaked out was still clean, no black discoloration. still golden clear.

Oil leak after first change 12 Apr 2014 10:10 #628800

• Spikito
  • User
found my problem.....massive crack in the oil pan....looks to me like the bike bottomed out of something a pushed in a part of the pan.

From what I can tell, its a bout a 6 inch crack running left and right from the passenger side runnind towards the drain plug, and is displaced about 3/8 of an inch.

I'm really hoping its that, and not something inside blew up and pushed the pan out.

Oil leak after first change 12 Apr 2014 15:53 #628814

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
There are tons of KZ1000 oil pans on ebay, and they are not very expensive. Be sure to use a torque wrench calibrated in INCH pounds and torque the oil pan bolts to the light side of the specs in the manual along with a new gasket. You really do not want to strip out any of those oil pan bolt hole threads. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spikito

Oil leak after first change 12 Apr 2014 17:41 #628821

• Spikito
  • User
Ill keep that in mind.

Found a like new pan on eBay for $27.55 and free shipping, its been cleaned up to looking brand new, May actually be brand new, listing was vague, Found a gasket for $9.

Luckily everything inside looks great, with no fluids in it a laid the bike on its side to work, MUCH easier, cycled the bike through the gears, 1-5 cycles just fine. No trash in the pan or pick up tube, just a few tiny pieces of what looked like dried up RTV sealant.