Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 15:09 #450729

• staniel
  • staniel's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
One of the most annoying parts of my first top end job was a breaking head bolt. In fact, I can't be sure it wasn't the ancestor cause of the very worst part of my last top end job, a crack in my block which necessitated my second topend job .

Well, last night I was putting it all back together. I got the head nuts tightened to 4mkg per the Clymer manual specs. I started torquing the head bolts. I knew their tendencies, so I elected 3mkg instead of 22ft-lb (3mkg is less torque than 22ft-lb, both are the spec). They started to feel soft, but were still moving. Finally, it happened again. A head bolt snapped.

I've attached two images.

The first is where and how the head bolt broke. It was the same both times. At least it breaks above the threads!

Attachment P5130033.JPG not found

The second image includes one of my last two remaining head bolts, one of the broken ones, and the bolt I used to replace my head bolt on the first rebuild.

Attachment P5130035.JPG not found

Are exploding head bolts common? Is the taper there so that they explode conveniently? I've read that they are made intentionally to stretch out - is that true? Are they one-time use parts? Does the heat ruin them?

Am I a fool for using a stainless bolt to replace them? Is the stainless replacement bolt I used the cause of my cracked block?

I'm definitely accepting speculation on this. I would rather not have to order OEM head bolts, considering I've never tightened one down and not had it break and it means I have to wait a week to build this thing up.
1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 15:28 #450732

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
I can't tell scale from photos, but those look like the smaller 10mm bolts on mine they have to help prevent oil leaks. The spec on those is NOT 22 ft-lbs for sure, its about 100 inch-pounds (maybe eight foot pounds). On mine, the large head nuts that screw down onto the studs spec at about 30 foot-pounds, but the smaller bolts are way less.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 15:36 #450734

• staniel
  • User
These are 8mm threads with a 12mm bolt head. Is that what you meant?

An 8ft-lb torque spec would certainly explain the breaking. It would also explain how I cracked my block: torquing it to 22 with SS bolts!

I still won't wait for the OEM bolts, but I still have a couple of these head bolts (one from each of the engines I have taken apart) and I'll throw 'em in there. With Locktite in case 8ft-lbs is too little.
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

mbsween KZ750L3 page 13 May 2011 17:48 #450750

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
Here's a KZ750-L3 Page. MBSween's KZ750L3 Page
search tags tagz mbsween KZ750L3
The following user(s) said Thank You: staniel

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 18:11 #450752

• staniel
  • User
I have several MBSween pages bookmarked and I have the GPz/KZ manual on my computer already :)

However, I never read it for torque specs.

Attachment Screenshot2011-05-13at2.02.12PM.png not found

Attachment Screenshot2011-05-13at2.10.00PM.png not found

There, at the bottom of the first page, it says torque the nuts to 18ft-lbs to start, then up to 29. The head bolts it still says to tighten to 22. Maybe I should invest in a fancy torque wrench, in case my mechanical one is bad somehow.

I've decided to just try installing them again, torquing to 22, and if they break, I'll order new ones. Maybe they're old and cruddy. I just don't look forward to the feeling when I'm turning them and the torque doesn't go up anymore.
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike
Attachments:

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 18:18 #450754

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
  • Thank you received: 18
They are probably torque to yield bolts, which are single use. I would just order new bolts and not worry about the new ones breaking. Might also be good to borrow a known accurate torque wrench to install them and then check yours against it.
'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 18:48 #450765

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Maybe someone with a Kawasaki Factory service manual can double check the torque specs. It would not be the first time Clymer just took a wild guess at what they should be. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 18:55 #450766

• staniel
  • User
The bible on MBSween confirms it, as well as a Kawasaki dealership tech guy (who looked it up). 22 is the number, but I'm still afraid that applies to a different kind of bolt or that these bolts are one-time-use only. That would be a silly thing.

I'm afraid to go with the home-made stainless steel ones. Can't afford to crack another block.
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 19:39 #450774

• tinlizzie37
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I would never replace any of the bolts with stainless. Most stainless steel is much softer than carbon steel ones. That's probably why they broke off. You can see the stretch that caused it. Bob
Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 20:24 #450781

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Amen on stainless being weaker and softer than carbon steel. You should see what an accidental double charge of powder in a 45 ACP does to a stainless barrel and compare to a carbon steel barrel. The stainless barrel expands to twice it's original diameter (destroying the gun) and the carbon barrel is not harmed.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 21:43 #450802

• staniel
  • User
Actually, the stainless bolts are the ones that held up! They were loads stronger than the OEM head bolts (part number 92001-1445).

By the way, I just tried to put my last two 92001-1445s in there. One went in and torqued up to about 20ft-lbs, at which point I stopped. The other one started to feel funny around 19, so I backed it out. I saw the same necking you can see in the picture I posted of a broken one.

SO glad I backed it out. Gonna order two new bolts (and an extra). I'm not taking the nuts off, because I don't want to scrape off and put new Permatex on.
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

Breaking head bolts every time 13 May 2011 22:17 #450813

• elfmagic17
  • User
  • Thank you received: 24
I know there has been disscussions on this before, the torque for the bolts is wrong even in the kawasaki feild manuel!! Trust me!! its like no more than 8 lb ft. I'm an Automotive Technition and I will tell you not the best bolt that size should be torqued to 22 lb ft. in aluminum. Do some research and you will find the correct torque.
Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)