Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 10:36 #685065

• Irish-Kawi
  • Irish-Kawi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
So gang, went on a spectacular ride yesterday and wanted to share the journey, be warned I tend to ramble a bit so bear with me haha.

Met at Pops’ place in Johnstown, CO around 1pm yesterday, gorgeous shining blue sky with plenty of sun and fairly warm in the mid to high 80’s, we get all suited up and do our pre-flight checks and I stash a couple of habanos in my leather 3 finger cigar case and stuff that inside my breast pocket on my summer riding jacket. We take off, grab some gas and get ready to stretch our bikes legs! I was on the KZ440 and Pops was on his 1979 SR650 (God that is a sweet bike!), filled up and headed into the mountains and foothills. Started making our way up to Horsetooth Reservoir and up along the twisting, rising road that moves along its banks and over the dams, absolutely gorgeous views and fun fun road really getting into the twisties and starting to get much more comfortable with entry speed and really leaning into the corners and throttling out of them. Was cruising about 30 mph on a slow section overtop of the dam itself when a Yellow Jacket flew up and landed on top of my thigh (read, did not run into it it flew and landed on me), walked around for a few seconds then the little bastard stung me! Luckily didn’t freak out or flail but man did that hurt like a mother, couldn’t pull over for a few minutes but leg started swelling up a bit and burned like crazy. Finally got to a pulloff and had to pull the jeans off (that was embarrassing to be de-pantsed on the side of the highway lol) and got the stinger out and then continued our ride. Went over the backside and past Horsetooth and then made our way up and into Rist Canyon. Part way up we found a little dirt pull off and stopped, went down to the brooke a few yards away, pulled out the habanos (Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 2 that I gave to Pops, and a Saint Luis Rey that I had, each had a few years of rest on them). Had an outstanding smoke, and nice little break and then headed back down the Rist Canyon, backside of Horsetooth and up over the dam again and then went down in front of Carter Lake.

Pops pulled over suddenly near Carter Lake, thought something was wrong but no... he surprised me and told me to hop on the SR650. GOOD LORD, I have been in a lot of amazing machines over the years. Rolls Royce’s Lambo’s, Ferrari’s, Porsche’s, Pierce Arrow’s, 1920‘s nad 30‘s Cadillac V-12‘s, Race Cars, Drag Cars etc..... I have never been on something like that though. It was smoother than any engine I have known, and just pulled and pulled and pulled and never gave up. AND WHAT A NOISE wow oh wow oh wow, I am a convert and believer for life now! Wasn’t quite as agile or nimble or low center of gravity as the KZ440 (to be expected of course), but still was incredibly maneuverable as y’all know. Gotta say I am sold and I know that I will be buying a KZ650 or 750 next spring/summer and that will be the bike that is mine with my name on the title, blown away and amazed by that bike WOW! Well stayed on the SR for about 10 min, then switched back to the KZ440 and back home to Johnstown! All in all, was a bout a 4 hr ride and just shy of 100 miles through some of the prettiest country in the USA and fantastic weather, it was so rewarding getting some confidence in the twisties and really starting to learn to lay it down deep into those corners and how to exit and enter safely and not get in over my head. Perfect roads, perfect day and perfect riding and cigar buddy :)

Thanks for listening to me ramble gang, was such an experience that I just wanted to share with those that had an appetite for it!

Irish

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Irish-Kawi.

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 13:52 #685101

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
That a great ride too... I loved riding my KZ1000 with with my son on his steed. Last time was on his Triumph Triple.... he used to have a KZ750 but "upgraded" to the Triple!
But then the grand kids came along and he sold the Triple too! LOL
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: Irish-Kawi

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 14:05 #685103

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Thanks Mission, it was absolutely spectacular honestly and be that KZ1000 is a blast in the twisties! Not sure how a Triple is an upgrade but...... lol. Sad that there is no bike at all now, but get how kids and life can get in the way happens all too frequently! Hope we can setup a ride before the end of the season if you have any interest, PM to you.

- Irish

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 15:55 #685136

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
In 98 when I found out how much it would cost for the parts needed for the bike I parked it. Single parent, no money for a bike. I didn't Non Op ether. Stupid. Kids grown and gone and it's Dad's turn.
Steve

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 16:04 #685138

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Thats hard Steve, I am kinda there myself. I am blessed enough that I will always have a bike to ride thanks to Pops even if it is not mine permanently, but here is to hoping that I can snag this new promotion at work and come next spring source a KZ650 or 750 and put in a couple hundred bucks for new tires and maintenance stuff and get her riding like a scalded ape :D Glad you were able to get some Dad time now that the kids are grown and life is once again yours, best of luck my friend :)

- Irish

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 16:35 #685142

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
My grand kids live in Phelan 1 1/2 hour away. I can ride up there visit,spoil the SHT out of them, then come home. Problem is, when I get to the off ramp to my place, I want to keep going. Some day I can just point my head light and go.
Steve

Attachments:

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 16:58 #685145

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Awesome pic Steve and that sounds like a really great situation! It's wonderful having my parents only 30 min away and lets them see their grandchild whenever they want. As for one day being able to blow past that off ramp, reminds me of a great Dierks Bentley song where in the lyrics it says pretty much the same thing. Can't recall the title of the track but reminded me of that, best of luck that you get to do that soon sounds pretty killer :)

- Irish

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 17:01 #685146

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
FYI for any of y'all reading this and since it relates to my original post, I have been deep into cigars for nearly 10 years now and have plenty. If any of y'all are cigar lovers and gave a special day or celebration happening let me know and shoot me your addy and I would be happy to send you out a couple special sticks to celebrate for ya. Cigars are best when enjoyed with company or to celebrate a special time, happy to help someone make that happen.

- Irish

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 17:21 #685148

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
When I got the bike in 75, my favorite tune was born to run. Bruce Springsteen.
Steve

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 17:44 #685151

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
One of the all time Bruce classics for sure!!

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 18:19 #685163

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Yeah, takes me back. Cruse night on Van Nuys Boulevard, chicks, races in the sticks, (that's when there still were) parties and back roads going home. :whistle: Back then the Z1 was unbeatable. "Let the good times roll." :woohoo:
"What a drag it being old."(Stones)
Steve

Horsetooth Reservoir and Rist Canyon, CO 09 Aug 2015 18:30 #685167

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I've been stung many times, but once long ago I was riding with shorts on (bad idea, BTW) and a yellow jacket went up the shorts pants leg! I stood up at speed (luckily a straight road) and danced, jumped up and down on the footpegs, and generally hopped around like a fool while slowing from about 60 mph. With great LUCK, the yellow jacket fell out and didn't sting me! I believe that was one of the luckiest days of my life! :laugh: :laugh: Since that day I've never been tempted to ride while wearing shorts. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Page: