Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ohio River Run on a Z1 22 Jul 2014 13:58 #640972

• bugsinmyteeth
  • bugsinmyteeth's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Sorry about the false start in the other thread. I couldn't figure out how to delete the thread. I'll try this again...

I took several hours on my day off last November to ride my 1975 Kawasaki 900 along the Ohio River. It was a very cold day and I bought myself some warmer gloves after this trip. My fingers nearly froze on the early part of this trip until the sun began to shine in the afternoon. I started near Alexandria, KY and rode east on the Mary Ingles Hwy (Rt. 8). You should read about Mary Ingles. Captured by Shawnee Indians from a settlement along the New River and taken to the Ohio country. She was pregnant at the time and I think had another child along. Went with a party to the present location of Big Bone Lick State Park in Boone County, KY. One of the original places that Mastadon and Mammoth bones were found in America. The party went there to render salt from a salt spring there. She and another lady wandered away one day and made a very harrowing trip back to the New River. She left her then-born baby with another woman. I digress...

Heading east on Rt. 8 I came across this tobacco barn, typical of what you would see in KY, though this one is run down quite a bit.

Attachment CanonCamera549.jpg not found

I continued east until I got to Augusta, KY. This picture is looking across the river into Ohio.

Attachment CanonCamera550.jpg not found

I ate lunch at a very small diner in Augusta--a very sleepy little town. I kind of took my time as I was quite cold and allowed myself to warm up in the diner. To my chagrin, when I went back to the bike I saw I had left the key in the ignition. First and only time I have done that. Any way, Rose Mary Clooney lived in Augusta in the 1980's. She was born a little further east in Maysville, KY. Her brother Nick still lives in Augusta. Rose Mary is an aunt to movie actor George Clooney. Here's a couple of pics of her house, which is now a museum...

Attachment CanonCamera551.jpg not found

Attachment CanonCamera552.jpg not found

I then continued east on Mary Ingles (Rt. 8) to where a bridge crosses over the Ohio River before Maysville, KY. It takes you to Ripley Ohio. Ripley is known for its role as a stopping off place for runaway slaves on the underground railroad. Here's a plaque along the river commemorating this role and explaining how this spot was an inspiration for the story of Uncle Tom's cabin.

Attachment CanonCamera553.jpg not found

And here's a pic of my bike beside that plaque looking from Ripley, OH across the Ohio River into Kentucky.

Attachment CanonCamera554.jpg not found

Also in Ripley is the John Rankin House. It was a destination on the underground railroad. Word got around to slaves that if they could make it there they would find help to escape any slave-catchers who chased them and would be sent on their way north. Google John Rankin House and you can read about. I don't have pics of the house because it was not open at the time and they are doing renovations of it. I headed west on Ohio Rt. 52 to I-275 and re-crossed the Ohio River into KY and then on to Boone County and home. That was my ride one cold November day in 2013. Sorry it took so long to post.
Old School Is Cool!

1975 Kawasaki 900 (Z1B)
1982 Suzuki GS750E

Northern KY
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid, Grumpy Ole Artist

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ohio River Run on a Z1 23 Jul 2014 08:54 #641065

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
Motorcycles, scenery and history! What an epic ride! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods
The following user(s) said Thank You: bugsinmyteeth

Ohio River Run on a Z1 23 Jul 2014 10:46 #641080

• bugsinmyteeth
  • bugsinmyteeth's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Thanks for the reply, slayer61. It was only crickets before that :unsure:
Old School Is Cool!

1975 Kawasaki 900 (Z1B)
1982 Suzuki GS750E

Northern KY

Ohio River Run on a Z1 23 Jul 2014 20:00 #641147

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
  • Thank you received: 34
Thankz for posting that. I'd love to do a ride like that
Eddie
1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

Ohio River Run on a Z1 24 Jul 2014 05:46 #641176

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Great story line and great pics! B) Even though it was a cold day to ride along the Ohio, it had one advantage vs. summer, no bugs! I have ridden along the Ohio at night and let me tell you, the bugs were so thick you have to stop to clean your visor off just so you can see. You got the right name for riding along the Ohio. :laugh: That part of the country make for very good motorcycling that is for sure. B)
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

• Page: