Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dumb Luck 20 Mar 2014 20:21 #625967

• roy-b-boy-b
  • roy-b-boy-b's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
I was at a place yesterday getting my tractor starter tested. There was a Kawasaki there but I didn't give it a second look. I thought it was a 440.
Some big guy walks in and the owner of the place fires the bike up. It runs bad like the carbs need going through. Idled down real slow and run about five grand on choke.
The owner rolls the bike out to the street and this guy got on the bike to test ride it. He stalled the bike several times in the first 30 feet to the street.

He finally gets down the block and back. He paid for the bike. The owner told him where to get gas. I noticed the bike was a 1100 LTD.
I get my starter tested and left to go across town. I get near the Courthouse and I see the guy on the bike. He kept stalling the bike and had traffic backed up. He went through a light and dumped the bike right in front of a cop. People had to get out and help him get the bike up.
This guy paid too much for the bike. A little over $1500.00,
The tires were shot and it needed carb work bad. I got the feeling this guy was clueless as to riding or knowing much about bikes. He would be lucky to get home.
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by roy-b-boy-b.

Dumb Luck 21 Mar 2014 04:08 #625996

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 300
That's unfortunate. I feel for the fellow...but, he also should have done his homework better.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Dumb Luck 24 Mar 2014 08:30 #626341

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
He did seem lucky not to get hurt. The unfortunate thing is his "Dumb Luck" will quickly run out on a bike like that with bad tires and gummed up carbs.

Was the bike in overall decent enough shape? I would have helped him pick up the bike and then give him my phone number. I would offer to take it off his hands in case it just doesn't work out for him but, likely not for $1,500. Maybe you will see him around town if his luck holds up.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Dumb Luck 24 Apr 2014 11:18 #630221

• konigralph
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
That's a damn shame. I feel like some people who get tricked and are uninformed buyers that like do kinda deserve it too... in this day and age... theres so much resources avaiable for you. From smart phones you can lear neverything you need to know about a potential bike u wanna buy!

Dumb Luck 24 Apr 2014 15:38 #630250

• roy-b-boy-b
  • roy-b-boy-b's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
I tried to talk to this fellow. I told him I had four Big Kawasakis but he had the bike fever and was paying no attention to me or no one . Several folks helped him. I was real busy that day or would have took the bike home for him. I came back through town shortly after that and he was gone.
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Dumb Luck 24 Apr 2014 17:15 #630267

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Hop on phone google beginners bike, google bike value takes what five minutes, google what a z1 or a kz1000r means before you touch it.

I was big on the mopar forums for a while and saw the same stuff with someone and their all original but crusty 69 cuda big block 4 speed car that got stripped down broke up and turned into parts and a dragster cuz the guy paid $600 for it so it was worthless when they were going for 12k on ebay and members there offered him 8k... But alas i went off course. Smart phone's are everywhere and easy to use just look the shit up! I don't know why that seems hard to understand for some
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

• Page: