Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1986 GPZ550 Renewal - Brake Replacement Parts 14 Feb 2017 16:37 #754222

• TomasDouglas
  • TomasDouglas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I found this 1986 GPZ550 for sale and couldn’t pass it up. It compliments my 1980 KZ550 the first year of the 550 motor since the 1986 is the final year of the 550. Plus it was in excellent condition and only had 10,300 km. The PO kept it garage stored for the past 8 years and only started it up every once in a while but didn’t really ride it, apparently the same with the previous PO. The bike started, motor ran great, everything appeared to work. I am calling it a renewal since I don't have much restoration to do.

Attachment not found

I plan on changing oil, oil filter, air filter, replace brake fluid, fork oil
Lubricate swing arm pivot, uni-track linkage, steering stem, cables, speedometer gear, wheel bearings
I will check the valve clearances
Pulled the spark plugs and they appear good but cheap to replace
The chain looks ok and is within tolerance 317mm and sprockets look ok
The headlight glass has a chip in it and needs replacement
The right signal lights were not working and I traced the problem to where the wire split at the headstock to go to the indicator and the signal light
The Bridgestone tires F-100/90-18 R-120/80-18 are old and have cracks and will be replaced probably Bridgestone or Pirelli same size

KZ Forum Members Advice Needed
Due to the age of the bike the manual says replace the brake hoses, anti-dive brake plunger assembly, master caliper cup and dust seal, caliper piston seal and dust seal. I know the bike is 30 years old but the forks and brake calipers look good and work great and to replace all this will cost $250 so I am thinking of leaving them as is. Even the disc brake pads appear to still have lots of material left and at $35 a set I am thinking of not replacing them until the wear requires it. I would appreciate any advice from members on these items.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Thanks
Tomas Douglas
1980 KZ 550A
1986 GPZ 550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1986 GPZ550 Renewal - Brake Replacement Parts 14 Feb 2017 17:47 #754225

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Nice find!

I'd recommend to replace all fluids (OK it's just the brake and oil and filter) if you do not know when the last time they were replaced, If you get a "wild hair", you might want to drop the oil pan, and see what's in there, and clean out the condensation gunk that is more than likely there from the years of sitting. In addition to this, replace the possibly aged brake pads too.

Remember the manual was well over 36 years ago, and fluids have improved over the years. Maybe in time replace the fork oil with real fork oil, and not the engine oil recommended back in the day.

Ride it and have fun!
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp
The following user(s) said Thank You: TomasDouglas

1986 GPZ550 Renewal - Brake Replacement Parts 15 Feb 2017 22:54 #754320

• TomasDouglas
  • TomasDouglas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply. Tires, oil filter, and air filter are on order, will order brake shoes, caliper boots, and gasket for the cam cover. The rear suspension and front forks are totally different from my 1980 KZ550. I have to thank you for posting the 83-91 manual it helped me take the rear suspension off today so I could clean and grease the bushings.
I also like the racing video's that you posted I am very envious of your riding and racing skill.
Tomas Douglas
1980 KZ 550A
1986 GPZ 550

• Page: