Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 19 Oct 2016 15:04 #745692

• Ray916MN
  • Ray916MN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The original zero mile bodywork comes with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 19 Oct 2016 16:01 #745694

• stokes
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
A broken motorcycle,give ya $20. :lol: Sorry I couldnt help myself
1980 KZ1000B Ltd

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 19 Oct 2016 16:29 #745696

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
Is this a quiz or a serious question? It's clearly an old race bike. Impossible to say what's inside the engine but it's got some beefy forks/rotors and a braced swingarm.

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 19 Oct 2016 21:12 #745717

• Ray916MN
  • User

Nessism wrote: Is this a quiz or a serious question? It's clearly an old race bike. Impossible to say what's inside the engine but it's got some beefy forks/rotors and a braced swingarm.

It's a quiz. If you know what it is, you can easily tell what it is from what you can see.

Last edit: by Ray916MN.

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 19 Oct 2016 21:43 #745719

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
Looks like a KZ1000S1 Roadrace bike. No idea of value, but if real, value is high.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 19 Oct 2016 22:03 #745720

• Ray916MN
  • User

RonKZ650 wrote: Looks like a KZ1000S1 Roadrace bike. No idea of value, but if real, value is high.

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Everything you see is factory original and much of what is trick isn't apparent from the photo. Factory authenticated single owner bike, since the owner had to submit his race resume to the factory and be selected to get the bike. Old buddy of mine. Swung by his shop today to try for the thousandth time to pry an ELR out of his grubby hands. Alas, rejected again. At least I get to take in this bike whenever I see him. Last known sale of one of these was in 2014 for $140K. Today's market estimated value in current condition with majority of original parts is north of $100K.

Last edit: by Ray916MN.

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 20 Oct 2016 05:20 #745730

• Shabba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47
Now that's a cool find. With zero mileage body work, how often did the bike see track duty? Ever?
-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 20 Oct 2016 05:22 #745731

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 301

Ray916MN wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote: Looks like a KZ1000S1 Roadrace bike. No idea of value, but if real, value is high.

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Everything you see is factory original and much of what is trick isn't apparent from the photo. Factory authenticated single owner bike, since the owner had to submit his race resume to the factory and be selected to get the bike. Old buddy of mine. Swung by his shop today to try for the thousandth time to pry an ELR out of his grubby hands. Alas, rejected again. At least I get to take in this bike whenever I see him. Last known sale of one of these was in 2014 for $140K. Today's market estimated value in current condition with majority of original parts is north of $100K.

The next time you swing by his shop, write down the the frame and motor VIN's and compare them to what has been posted on www.kz1000r.com for the S1 series to verify that it is a real S1. If it is a real S1, then you should consider mortgaging your house. BTW, we have a member on KZR who also used to own an S1 (Dr. Gamma)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 20 Oct 2016 06:54 #745736

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
I remember there was a pair of S1's on EBay a few years back. 1 was complete and the other looked like it was used as a spares donor. I don;t remember the exact sale price, but the bidding went into 6 figures. Definitely beyond my budget, but fun to watch. From what I recall the winning bidder was from Japan.

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 20 Oct 2016 06:56 #745738

• Ray916MN
  • User

Shabba wrote: Now that's a cool find. With zero mileage body work, how often did the bike see track duty? Ever?

Raced from day 1 and retired decades ago. Bodywork was removed and stored on delivery and replaced with standard stuff.

Mcdroid wrote:
The next time you swing by his shop, write down the the frame and motor VIN's and compare them to what has been posted on www.kz1000r.com for the S1 series to verify that it is a real S1. If it is a real S1, then you should consider mortgaging your house. BTW, we have a member on KZR who also used to own an S1 (Dr. Gamma)

As I said, an old buddy owns it. Owner runs an independent shop which was the local center of race tuning and building back in the day. He stuffed it in the loft of his shop decades ago along with a bunch of other neat stuff over the years. He is beginning to sell some stuff to fund his retirement, so he brought it out of the loft to begin to put it together for sale. He couldn't find the MSO, so he went back to Kawasaki and got authentication from them in preparation for sale.

Out of my wheelhouse to buy. Total loss ignition, bump/outboard start only, not streetable. I'm not a museum and I wouldn't race it, so it doesn't make sense for me to own. His ELR fits in with the rest of the stuff I own, all of which gets ridden on the street. The owner has a couple of package deals he is considering for everything he owns and Bonhams has been out trying to get him to put stuff in their auctions. If anyone is seriously interested, PM me and I'll provide you his contact information.

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 20 Oct 2016 12:52 #745766

• moneypit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
Whats the name of the shop and where is it?
Im also in MN.
2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

What Is This and What Would You Pay For It? 21 Oct 2016 09:42 #745834

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
If it is a true S1 it's worth well in the $20,000 range even its not running.

• Page: