Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Collector plate 11 Oct 2016 10:19 #744962

• Shabba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47

Coast Steve wrote: Inspected every year eh. Seems dumb.

Don't get me going. I see a value in car inspections and coming up here from a state that did not (Georgia), I do indeed see fewer cars on the side of the road. But the profit motive is outrageous. Inspections here, yearly to boot, are used to fleece people left and right. My son had his Mitsubishi inspected 2 weekends ago and they "found" $360 worth of inner tie rods to repair. Not only were the tie rods good, but the price was simply gouging. We took it to another place that passed it right away after the exact same inspection.
-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Shabba.

Collector plate 11 Oct 2016 14:55 #744987

• Ray916MN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
As my bikes reach 20 years of age I always convert them to collector plates. I've got a 1997 that will get converted in 2017, bringing me to 9 collector plated bikes.

In MN, there is one time fee roughly equal to the annual registration fee, but it gives you a lifetime registration. You must own a regularly registered motorcycle to get a collector plate for bike and collector plated bikes can not be used for commuting or commercial use. I did a 500 mile overnight ride into the next state a couple of weekends ago on a collector plated bike.

It doesn't impact my insurance rates (which are typically about $60/yr. per bike for maximum liability), but it eliminates one other thing to worry about when getting on a bike to ride.

I also buy vanity plates for anything that is going to be collected. This means when I convert a bike to a collector plate, I get a new vanity collector plate and the original vanity plate goes into my plate collection.

Collector plate 11 Oct 2016 15:46 #744994

• Coast Steve
  • Coast Steve's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
9 collector bikes?.....Damn that's a fleet!
Nice!
1982 Kawasaki Eddie Lawson S1 (1136cc race replica clone.)

Last edit: by Coast Steve.
  • Page: