Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

One of my motorcycle bucket list adventures, but! 21 Jul 2014 08:16 #640792

• KZJOE900
  • KZJOE900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
A motorcycle trip through Central and South America has always been a dream trip for me. Not sure if I will ever get the chance. It is definitely near the top of my bucket list. I just don't want to kick the bucket while doing it. This poor chap sends home a chilling fact. It is still a dangerous part of the world.

www.cnn.com/2014/07/18/world/americas/mi...index.html?hpt=hp_t4

I had been reading and enjoying this two friend's adventure riding through this part of the world ( advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919429). There were moments where they didn't feel safe and let instinct take over and quietly move on. This article brought it more into perspective. May Mr. Devert rest in peace.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZJOE900.

One of my motorcycle bucket list adventures, but! 21 Jul 2014 11:13 #640809

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
funny you mention a Central America trip. I will be taking that trip next year, June 2015 with 5 other guys. I did that trip before in 1997 and wanted to do it one more time before I get to old.
I learned in order to get an adventure like that done you need to set a date,stick to that date NO CHANGES, prep a bike , save some money and just go when the date gets around.
If I were to base what I do on what happens to other people I would never do anything. You just need to use common sense, stay out the areas you shouldn't be in, do not travel at night, treat people with respect and know when to leave..
Even traveling in the United States can be dangerous. I just refuse to hide, scared in my little neck of the woods.

One of my motorcycle bucket list adventures, but! 21 Jul 2014 13:39 #640839

• KZJOE900
  • KZJOE900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Totally agree Baldy, After all, that is why we ride motorcycles even with the added risks, right? This is still near the top of my list. Story like this won't change things. You are right about dangerous places in the U.S. Gotta take risks in life in order to feel alive. Not be reckless, but to go for it. Man, your trip sounds like it is going to be awesome. Do you have your last trip posted online somewhere? How did you cross from Panama to Colombia?
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Last edit: by KZJOE900.

One of my motorcycle bucket list adventures, but! 22 Jul 2014 09:57 #640946

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
No, I do not have it posted on line it was 1997 prior to me having a computer. I never got that far on my last trip, ran out of $$$. I ended up selling my bike in Belize and flew home due to lack of funds. It was still a lot of fun, good times. Here are some pics I found recently of the trip. We were on VERY tight budgets and wanted to visit every Central America country but only made to Belize. I did sell my bike in Belize for more that what the trip cost me so i came out ahead.

Here is my brothers 1977 KZ750 twin. Had some major carb problems but never left him stranded always started.

My bike 1985 Suzuki SP600 basket case that I fixed up using parts from numerous different bikes. Ran great bitch to kick start though.

Misc pics of Baja, Mexico, Guatemala and Belize.

Wow looking at these pics sure brings back some very fond memories. My brothers poor KZ750 was leaking from every shock and orifice due to the bad roads. It was like riding on an old buckboard wagon. But it did make it. He found it under a tree in Sacramento 2 weeks prior to our trip. He dragged it home changed the oil and gas, cleaned the carbs, put on new tires and a chain and rode it to Central America. Amazing it never died on him. Just shows you how tough these KZ's really are.
My trip next year I will be taking a lot more time off from work and more cash. My current bike is set up better for adventure riding than the one I used in 1997. I just finished building it up for the trip an electric start 2001 Honda XR650L. I never liked kickstarting that big thumper, got old really quick

Last edit: by baldy110.

One of my motorcycle bucket list adventures, but! 22 Jul 2014 10:32 #640948

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Can't view the pics on my work puter. Definitely would love to do an epic trip like this myself one day soon. Want to hear more about your experiences Baldy when we meet at The Flag Relay Rally.

Joe, hope your plans work out on this dream of yours.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

• Page: