Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 10 Mar 2012 01:57 #508835

• TomW
  • TomW's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

Mine20 wrote: I'm in San Antonio, TX and not sure how many miles. Bike is still being put together, cafe style so not sure how comfy it's gonna be. I can do overnight. It would be a weekend thing for me. I know SA is off the beaten path but let me know if I can do anything to assist.

Outstanding!! :cheer: San Antonia is in the right direction to get from Houston to Albuqurque. I'll put you in the flow going west. Do you know any KZ owners out toward Abilene, San Angelo or Lubbock. Texas is big!
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 10 Mar 2012 02:04 #508837

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

DaddyJama wrote: some kind of way, for all that make it up through here...we will have to take the long way through the kettle moraine area.. depending on weather, it's a very nice scenic tour with lots of twisties and woodsy area.. it will prob be a nice break from highways.. it's about 25 mins west of fondu lac, which is midway between madison and oshkosh..

food for thought..

looking forward to it! I just got my tank mounted an hour ago..i still have to sort something out with seat..;) currently it's a metal pan

BA

Kettle Moraine is one of my regular rides. I'm about 20 miles south of there. I'll scoot to Eden for breakfast or Dundee for a Sunday ride with buds. On a nice Sunday you'll see 50 or more bikes parked outside the Roadside salon in Dundee. Mauthe Lake has a real nice state park campground too.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 10 Mar 2012 02:12 #508840

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

Link14 wrote: [quote="TomW" post=508755 Hopefully we can find a willing soul to scoot over to the Dakotas to put them on the flag. Then on to Iowa and I don't know who yet.

Stay tuned to this thread for more breaking updates.

Hey Tom,

I might be able to dip my toe over the South Dakota line toward the end of Leg #4 if that helps.

Link[/quote]
Hi Link,
That may be helpful. I was hoping you could tiptoe into Nebraska. I think you're the closest one to it. I just read in the leg #2 thread that bearshawk would be willing to ride to the west side of MN. He could touch both Dakotas from there.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 10 Mar 2012 13:41 #508884

• Mine20
  • User
  • Metric Maniac
  • Thank you received: 2
Tom,

I do not know anyone with a KZ in those areas. I just recently got my KZ's so I'm still meeting folks. I do know a shit ton of people with Hondas though. LOL! With that being said I have started a relay ride for Honda's. Should be pretty cool.
2007 Honda Shadow Custom
1978 Kawasaki kz650c2 cafe project
1979 Kawasaki 650sr possible bobber project

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 10 Mar 2012 17:29 #508902

• crappiehuntr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just sent pm, im in se iowa can go any direction.
1977 KZ1000
1978 KZ650
1976 KZ900 project
1981 KZ550 project

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 15 Mar 2012 14:24 #509825

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I have pm'd Tom and I'm definitely in on this. I can handle two nights on the road.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 14 Apr 2012 10:32 #515734

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Which direction will leg 3 run? As leg one is going north up the east coast and leg 2 will go south, I presume that 3 will start in LA/TX and move north. Am I correct?

I can meet someone to the south and easily catch the southeast corner of NE and northwest MO and then into IA. I've not done a long distance ride of any sort in my life so this will be a new experience. I'll stay tuned as I'm giving this some thought.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 01 May 2012 01:05 #518965

• moneypit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
:( I hate to say this, but I have to pull out of the relay. I F ed up Sunday night and reveed to high dumped the clutch and up she went with me and the son inlaw aboard. The back rest worked as a wheely bar for a bit till I let it go and we bailed. Crushed the stator cover and bent the rear motor mounts, I havent had much time to dig into it as my father is on his last week on this earth.
My trip would have been Minneapolis to Duluth MN. So again Im sorry and I hope that the route can be adjusted by the time it gets here. Or theres always next year, but its starting to move fairly well now.
Moneypit
2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 04 May 2012 12:36 #519797

• moneypit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
well the bad news is my father has pased away on Thursday. now after some arrangements and other responsiblities I may be able to do some wrenching on the bike and hopefully gEt heR ready to go. I will keep you guys up to date if I make any progress toward getting back in the game.
Bob.
2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 04 May 2012 12:39 #519798

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Family First. Deepest sorrows
Take Care of yourself first and the family, and dont pressure yourself. This is for fun.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 04 May 2012 15:10 #519824

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Sorry to hear about your dad, Bob. Working on your bike can be good therapy.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 04 May 2012 23:08 #519890

• bearshawk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
damn moneypit, thats a few crappy things to happen quickly... my condolences, i hope you can get her going in time for the relay as i think i would be meeting you in duluth and it would be great to meet as many fellow KZ'ers as possible
1978 kz650 sr- long time project/first bike mostly gone
1979 kz659 sr- new acquisition NEXT project GONE

Both 650s combined to make one great bike! with a new powerplant

it is a 79 frame, 78 front end, both 78 wheels and brakes, 78 body work and a 80' 750-4 motor with gpz 750 cams and a kerker and...

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 25 May 2012 10:40 #524704

• gravit8
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
HEY HEY! I found the working link for this leg of the relay!

In case ya'll havent read any of the other links, I'm currently sitting in Iowa City, IA twiddling my thumbs and looking for work (I grew up round these parts). My current 'residence' is in Albuquerque NM, which is a location I'll theoretically have to return to at some point in the near-ish future.

One of the benefits of being 30-ish, unemployed, unmarried and not having any kids is that, if the desire to ride off into the sunset strikes me, all I have to do is sober up enough to figure out where the sun is and fill the tank.

So basically I'm reading this, thinking I could possibly maybe ride a good portion of this leg of the relay. I usually go southwest from Des Moines through Kansas City/Wichita/guymon OK/Tucumcari NM but I've driven several other routes and I've got plenty of time to explore.

As of May25th I don't have any set plans or responsibilities and my bike is...running (time for that valve adjustment, and probably some new rubber). I'll be riding back to NM eventually no matter what, so... yeah. Lets get talking about this
I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 25 May 2012 12:08 #524726

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
Many thanks to mark1122 for pointing me in the direction of this leg #3 thread.

Just to be clear.....from what I've read here, leg #3 appears NOT to be going to Canada except for maybe a quick in and out to Thunder Bay, Ontario. Right ?? Wrong ??
Will western Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia) be on leg #4 ??
All clarifications gratefully received.
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 25 May 2012 16:07 #524750

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

H2RICK wrote: Many thanks to mark1122 for pointing me in the direction of this leg #3 thread.

Just to be clear.....from what I've read here, leg #3 appears NOT to be going to Canada except for maybe a quick in and out to Thunder Bay, Ontario. Right ?? Wrong ??
Will western Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia) be on leg #4 ??
All clarifications gratefully received.

Right.
Up until the time the flag arrives at our doorstep, all plans are preliminary. ;) The last prelim plan had the third leg starting on the WI-IL border. That assumes the 2nd leg moves south to north. I believe the plan was to ship the flag from far eastern Canada down to Alabama, then head north, but I could be mistaken and plans do change. If the flag comes through Chicago with BlueJ58 on leg 2, I or maybe WendyS can pick it up and start moving it through WI on up to the Minneapolis area and then on to Thunder Bay. bekz is up there but hasn't chimed in for a long time. Then nobody is in Canada til Winnipeg. That may be on the 4th leg. I see you're in Calgary, Alberta. You'll most likely be part of the 4th leg. The 4th leg coordinator will get you in there some how.
For all the participants on leg 3, PM riders in your area and set up meeting places. There are some clusters of riders where group rides are possible, and I encourage groups as they are more fun and safer. There is a preliminary route in this thread. Check it out and get started planning. I'll be watching this thread every day.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 26 May 2012 14:46 #524963

• gravit8
  • User
"For all the participants on leg 3, PM riders in your area and set up meeting places. There are some clusters of riders where group rides are possible, and I encourage groups as they are more fun and safer. There is a preliminary route in this thread. Check it out and get started planning. I'll be watching this thread every day. "

I'm checking in daily myself. Like I said, I'm in eastern Iowa on a long trip with no plans whatsoever, so I'm willing to go some distance to meet up at some point. I'm also, apparently, the handoff point in Albuquerque, NM for the next part of the trip so I hope we can get something planned. If it's too late in the summer I may not be in NM (looking for work here in Iowa).

So, yeah, lets do this!
I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 30 May 2012 14:54 #525895

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
Thank you for that, TomW !!!
Onwards and upwards......;-)
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 07 Jun 2012 03:41 #527415

• gravit8
  • User
SO, getting new rubber on da rims tomorrow, new brake pads, new speedo cable, oil filter n some other stuff ordered just about 15 minutes ago with a valve adjust coming up next week as well, so the bikes so fresh and so clean for my next journey. It would be an awful shame if this leg of the relay doesn't get started until like october - so far I haven't read anything to suggest this will even happen this year (!).

I'm feelin the itch to ride, and there doesn't seem to be anyone else in Iowa...if I'm not here when this finally goes down, it'll be a sadface :( for me. Any news?

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 07 Jun 2012 09:23 #527435

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

gravit8 wrote:
I'm feelin the itch to ride, and there doesn't seem to be anyone else in Iowa...if I'm not here when this finally goes down, it'll be a sadface :( for me. Any news?

No news as far as I know. I'm thinking this won't be completed this year judging from the progress so far.

If you're itchin', scratch it. Vintage moto races at Road America this weekend. I'll be going on Saturday, I have to work on Sunday. Here's a link.
www.roadamerica.com/Races/RaceInformation.asp?id=241

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 07 Jun 2012 14:33 #527485

• gravit8
  • User
I'd be lying if I said I wasnt tempted to hit that up, but I really need to get the valve/cam adjust done before I log too many more miles. Should have probably been done about 2k miles ago, heh. Just took a minute to get some $$ saved up for parts and tires and whatnot. Ya'll know how it goes, I'd rather ride than pull it apart.