Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 26 Feb 2023 17:26 #880805

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
You might want to check the owner things to know thread linked in my signature.  It mentions things like cleaning the carbs, properly.  It's a worthwhile read, and may tip you off to some other issues you may encounter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nessism.

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 27 Feb 2023 08:30 #880822

• KZNTX
  • KZNTX's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Carbs were spotless. Thanks for the suggestion though. Its an excellent article. 
This is a result of me running the bike then letting it sit for a week and the gas turning solidified varnish back into a liquid that made it past the filter. Then Instead of draining the fuel till it was clean I just hopped on the bike and rode. I have pulled the tank again and am in the process of re-cleaning it. The bike sat for more than 10 years (maybe 20+) with fuel in it so everything was frozen and totally gunked up. Seems while the tank appeared clean after the vinegar wash...there were some nooks/crannys that didnt get cleaned. 

Hopefully this round I'll get it all out. I banked on it being a process....thought maybe I would just get lucky. 

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 27 Feb 2023 19:24 #880839

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
No disrespect, but your idea of "spotless" is different from mine.  Those throttle butterfly valves didn't turn chocolate brown from a weeks work of varnish.  

The Keihin CV34's have some tiny passages though the bleed pipes, pilot jets, and pilot circuits.  These passages need to be truly spotless in order for the bike to run properly.

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 28 Feb 2023 06:04 #880851

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Fuel isn't going to turn to "varnish" in a week. 
I haven't read all of this topic, but it may be that the fuel tank needs to be cleaned.
Those throttle plates aren't clean & the passages may be as bad or worse.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 01 Mar 2023 11:07 #880944

• KZNTX
  • KZNTX's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11

No disrespect, but your idea of "spotless" is different from mine.  Those throttle butterfly valves didn't turn chocolate brown from a weeks work of varnish.  

The Keihin CV34's have some tiny passages though the bleed pipes, pilot jets, and pilot circuits.  These passages need to be truly spotless in order for the bike to run properly.

No disrespect but you are suggesting that all of those valves were equally polluted exactly the same with that thickness in a week because of dirty passages, or that they were not cleaned at all and looked like that after 10+ years of sitting?
Are you being serious? I told you it came from softened varnish in the tank. I missed some spots. The tank is nice and I didnt want to ruin it having never cleaned a rusty tank. I saw the liquified varnish in the transparent line. Ran the bike anyway. Now I have to pull them and clean them again with "my idea of spotless"
I was just sharing a mistake. Thought that was ok round here. My daily driver is an 88 Pontiac Fiero that I brought back from the dead. I appreciate the help and advice that has been offered here. I take it all to heart and do follow up on my bike, but there is no need to be condescending m8.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelly E

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 02 Mar 2023 01:00 #880969

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1809
It's always appreciated when guys are open enough to share their mistakes. We can all learn from it
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7