Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

83' KZ750H Projects 04 Dec 2016 13:54 #749430

• dlprs12
  • dlprs12's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
So I thought I'd make a project thread for my 750. I've started tearing it down. The engine is sound aside from an oil leak. Seals and o rings are ordered and will be replaced once they come in. While I wait, I'm cleaning things up and modernizing it. Plan to replace the headlight with a smaller headlight. When I opened the headlight to take it off...HOLY WIRING!!!! I see why people do a cafe seat and tuck the wiring in there. Anyway, I'll throw up a few pics just to get started. Kind of mocked up the brake/taillight and turn signals. Plan to run all three as running lights as well.
"I'm new! I'm new! I don't know what to do!!"
~Joe Dirte'

~83 KZ750 LTD~
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

83' KZ750H Projects 05 Dec 2016 04:34 #749505

• undiablo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
Suscribed!
Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

83' KZ750H Projects 05 Dec 2016 06:06 #749514

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The first time opening up the headlight can seem daunting, but the wiring inside the bucket is no big deal. most stuff is easily identifiable by the connectors & wire colors. Anyway, how often would a guy be inside there? once or twice during a refurbish & every now n then to change the bulb. other than that, not often. :)

Reg-rec. just an fyi. you can use the voltage regulator from a late model Ninja 500 or Vulcan 500 et al to at least around 2009. I installed one from a low mileage 2007 EX500 (credit to loudhvx). You can find them all over eebbaayy for cheap. The bigger the numbers stamped on them, the newer the unit. Or you could install a mosfet voltage regulator from a late model Japanese bike, but that takes a tad more doing. It's not that hard, though. I'm not sure if there are any cons to this upgrade.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

83' KZ750H Projects 05 Dec 2016 19:13 #749590

• dlprs12
  • dlprs12's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for that info. I'll have to do some research on the benefits of the Ninja Regulator for sure. I've actually been looking at dual headlights and might go with a stacked dual headlight for "sport bikes". Been looking at different HID and LED headlights as well. So many options.
"I'm new! I'm new! I don't know what to do!!"
~Joe Dirte'

~83 KZ750 LTD~

83' KZ750H Projects 06 Dec 2016 05:20 #749632

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The type of reg-rec I installed is virtually the same as the stock unit. The connector was reversed, so I had to change out the terminal pins & get a new connector. CycleTerminal.com. or Z1Enterprises.com. The mosfet units are different & are found on many modern bikes. Kawasaki. Hondas. Yamaha. maybe Triumph. etc.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: