Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 21 Nov 2016 07:56 #748570

• khungerf
  • khungerf's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello, I thought since I have already asked a tech question I should introduce myself and start a build thread.

I bought a '84 GPZ550 a month or so ago with the intent of building a bike with my son that will be fun and looks nice also.
(I also started a thread on CafeRacer.net)

Here it is when we brought it home;

Right now the focus is on getting it running great. It runs, but hardly at all below 5k and it bogs badly. Also wanting to replace all the worn/questionable parts.
so, new plugs, wires, brake lines, Carb clean, tank clean and seal (that one is turning into a pain!)

Here is the bike stripped down and ready for it's first ride ( no front brakes!, duck taped plastic jug for gas)

Should be 'fun'.... right?

After it is running... hoping to clean up the looks a bit (smaller seat, no body work, maybe rear end trim,...)

anyway, looking forward to picking the brains of those of you that have been here before .

-Lee
-Lee
'84 GPZ550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 21 Nov 2016 18:12 #748637

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
You can get some basic info from the links in my signature.

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 22 Nov 2016 08:18 #748669

• khungerf
  • User
Thanks!
I had already looked at a few of those links.
In fact, I had a question when I was looking at the links;
- what is the purpose of the HEI igniter mod? is it just to replace a hard to find stock part?

and I am sure I will run into LOTS of Q's as I am going through this process.
-Lee
'84 GPZ550

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 22 Nov 2016 09:09 #748670

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Yes, the HEI replaces the stock igniter on the earlier Gpz"s. Your 84 uses a much more elaborate, analog-advance, igniter box.

Kawasaki wanted over $500 for the stock igniter (for Kz550's). The HEI version would only cost about $40, new.

But unfortunately, HEI modules have since changed, and there is no way to know for sure what you are getting until you buy it and test it. Usually automotive stores won't take returns on electrical parts, so you'd be out of luck then if it wasn't the right version.

The non-HEI module I have on my site is still valid, though, but takes more parts to assemble.

Either way, I don't yet have a version for your Zx550. I'm slowly working on it when I get time, but it may still be a while.

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 22 Nov 2016 10:09 #748671

• khungerf
  • User
that makes sense!
mine appears to be working at this point. removing and cleaning the carbs is the next step, followed by new plugs and wires. Then I should be able to make sure there are no other issues.

Thanks again for the information.
-Lee
'84 GPZ550

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 22 Nov 2016 10:23 #748672

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
... and make sure to read the valvetrain warning, if you haven't already, before removing the valve cover.

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 27 Nov 2016 08:27 #749033

• khungerf
  • User
Looking for help on a couple things;
1) replacement gasket for the fuel sending unit. The gasket is hard and torn. Home made gasket? Are. There. Aftermarkets available?
Picture;

Attachment 72FD4850-F034-441C-A0F7-19CD55DBEFB8.JPG not found

2) replacement o rings for the carbs. I am going to pull them apart, I am surealltherubbershould be replaced. Have read lots of 'not so good' about the K&L rebuild kit (open for opinions on that one) Read great reviews on cycle o rings.com. But he does not know what sizes I need, anybody already order from him and able to save some part number research for me?

Thanks again for any help,

Lee
-Lee
'84 GPZ550
Attachments:

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 27 Nov 2016 10:18 #749038

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
Hope you realize that Kawasaki sells parts. You can order up the sending unit gasket through a multitude of different dealership sources such as Partzilla.

Regarding going through the carbs, this tutorial may help you...zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 27 Nov 2016 14:51 #749054

• khungerf
  • User
Thank you, actually I didn't not know I could still order so many parts!
I looked up the parts I asked about, will order the gasket from my local shop if I can.

Will try to cross ref the partnumbers on cycle o rings to see if I can get the carb parts from them.

I had already found your tutorial and saved it, I anticipate it being very useful!
-Lee
'84 GPZ550

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 27 Nov 2016 16:37 #749063

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
To derust the tank some Kleen Strip Metal Prep, as sold by Home Depot, works wonderful. You need to fashion up some good plugs but after that you can dump in a gallon of the sauce and either swish it around every half hour or so or just fill up the tank with water to dilute the stuff (it will work fine, just slower). It will remove all the rust and you most likely won't even need to seal it afterwards if you do it right.

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 01 Jan 2017 13:15 #751094

• khungerf
  • User
PROGRESS!
been busy and cold! but finally got the carbs out.
Crap it is hard to get those things out! What the heck were those engineers thinking? makes me WAY tempted to go with velocity stacks to can reject without hating the process.

About to dismantle the carbs and put them in the new ultrasonic cleaner.
a few pics;

Attachment IMG_20170101_110651678_HDR.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20170101_110700050.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20170101_110726989_HDR.jpg not found

Of course, I have a question : )
I see some corrosion or general poor machine work where the carbs attach to the motor. How much effort should I spend cleaning this up?

Attachment IMG_20170101_111946221.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20170101_112012361.jpg not found

-Lee
'84 GPZ550
Attachments:

'84 GPZ550 - and intro 02 Jan 2017 05:12 #751147

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Hello Lee.

1984 GPz550 I am guessing by the silver color.

While you have the carbs off (TK27) and are planning on rebuilding them, I'd recommend investing in a Dynojet Stage Kit. They come with Stage 1 and 3 included. The carbs were set lean from the factory to pass emissions, and even if you are keeping the air box or going with pod filters, you will benefit from this kit.
www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/jetki...torcycle&vm=kawasaki

The tank sending units gaskets are still available from Kawasaki. I just bought one.

The carb rebuild kits are readily available from just about anywhere and are made by K&L, but you can't buy directly from K&L. I'd recommend cleaning and reusing the stock pilot jet, because the ones that come in the rebuild kit don't have any numbers on them.

Free downloadable Factory Kawasaki Service, Base and Supplement, Manuals for the 550's in my signature.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Last edit: by CoreyClough.