Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

83 kz440 new bike project 04 Oct 2016 20:06 #744500

• Missionaryrdr
  • Missionaryrdr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Soo...new to the forum. My brother dropped this off for my 30th bday present a couple weeks ago. Hasn't ran for a few years so I figured i would give it a shot. First bike ever but I had experience working on anything from buggies to jetskies. An engine is an engine. After about a thousand issues.... here is where she sits now...running like a champ again....

Needles to say I have a ton of the original stuff like the seat that's in fantastic shape if anyone is looking....not looking for much just shipping costs and my time to send it out.

Thoughts on the bike are welcome!.....over the winter I'm hoping to strip her down paint and put her back together the right way with a few more mods.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

83 kz440 new bike project 05 Oct 2016 05:09 #744516

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
After cutting the frame, did you weld-on some cross-bracing at the rear?

Rear brake. If the age of the rear brake shoes is unknown, you should replace them. The adhesive that binds the linings to the shoes becomes brittle with age & can fail, so a lining can break loose then get jammed between the shoe & drum, locking the rear wheel. It happened to me, so it does happen..

Last edit: by martin_csr.

83 kz440 new bike project 05 Oct 2016 08:42 #744531

• Missionaryrdr
  • User
I did not. There is a brace the connects the two sides that runs right below the back of the seat...I figured that should be rigid enough....hmm...should I double up on that?

Thanks for the tip...yeah I'm not sure how old anything is on this bike...I do have a new front rotor and pads...that I will change soon. I'll do the back too along with new tires at the same time.

83 kz440 new bike project 12 Jan 2017 18:11 #752045

• Missionaryrdr
  • User
Haven't been here in a while.. I tore my 440 down to the frame and have been doing ground up resto.... Here just got it fired up last night... Still a few more things to do... Would love some opinions.
Attachments:

83 kz440 new bike project 12 Jan 2017 21:48 #752054

• dvnsta
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Nice looking ride!
1982 KZ 750 LTD H3 stock except with custom seat skin and kawasaki period backrest.
Kawasaki 1989 eliminator 250 b3

• Page: