Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1979 KZ 650C Rebuild 30 Jun 2016 09:14 #733381

• Stefk88
  • Stefk88's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I'm back... I started a thread about 2 1/2 years ago about the 1979 KZ650C that i picked out of a junkyard and was rebuilding. Work was progressing fast and furious. Rebuilt the engine, frame powder coated, got rid of the crappy Vetter fairing and the saddlebags, found all the original lights and pieces I needed and was well on my way to putting it together.
Then it happened, I dropped a stainless steel screw and it perfectly dropped in the engine along side the timing chain because the head cover was off. I immedietly lost it. Put everything away and walked away - for 2 1/2 years.
So this spring after looking at it and moving it around in my garage for 2 1/2 years I decided it was time. So I ended up pulling the oil pan off and found my screw. But the Kawasaki gods were telling me that I wasn't done inside the engine. Just as I was about to reinstall the oil pan, I saw what looked like the roller out of a roller bearing. Then I thought, there aren't any roller bearings in this engine. So I started looking around and what do you know. I installed the drive gear on the oil pump backwards and the roll pin that holds the gear to the shaft had fallen out. If your familiar with the oil pump - you install the gear and then the pin and then slide the gear back out over the in and install shaft in to the pump. Other than removing the clutch to get the oil pump out, it wasn't too bad. i've finished the electrical system (basically had to build an entire new harness because of all of the crappy Kawasaki connectors plus the chop job that somebody did when installing the fairing and saddlebags. Now all of the electrical bugs are worked out. Filled her up with oil - NO LEAKS! (Yeah) But my front brake master cylinder is shot. Waiting anxiously for the FED EX guy to bring my rebuild kit.
Today i'm gonna try firing her up. Got on this forum to check about the air injection system (Thanks everybody for the great info and photos!) and figured I'd share my story.
I did install the 4-1 exhaust and currently have pods installed on the carbs (I kept the air box just in case).
Hopefully today I'll get her started, set the timing, and start tuning the carbs.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 KZ 650C Rebuild 30 Jun 2016 09:18 #733382

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
Nice project.

Do us a favor and click "insert" when attaching photos. Doing that means the photos show up in high resolution instead of everyone having to click the thumbnails to see the photos.

BTW, don't even bother trying to run the bike until you properly rejet the carbs. Pods drastically change the fuel air requirements and the bike will run like crap and/or cook itself if it runs at all until you fix the jetting.

Last edit: by Nessism.

1979 KZ 650C Rebuild 21 Oct 2016 16:31 #745864

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
How is the project coming along?
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.
  • Page: