Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 03 Jul 2016 22:32 #733747

• SWEKZ
  • SWEKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes it does and it's quite ugly! :P I relocated the ignition to be hidden under the seat, between the battery and the electrical compartment, the ignition switch I have now is a bit too "deep" for my electrical compartment (in the long run it will be a risk of wearing out some wires in there) so I'm looking for a shallower one atm, the current one works though but it's not optimal. Now when I think about it I think I'll replace the current one with just a switch until I found a smaller keyed ignition hehe =) Yes, I like the look as well, but... Bought the grips when the saddle still was going to be black, changed my mind so now the saddle will be dark brown. Guess I'll have to change to brown grips now.. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 03 Jul 2016 22:44 #733749

• SWEKZ
  • User
Got the bike to the saddlemaker last tuesday, exciting! :laugh: Hopefully it's done this week. Other than that I haven't done anything really, started to feel a bit strange on the way home from the saddlemaker and it escalated until the point where I had to visit the hospital - apparentley I had a bad appendicitis which they had to cut out. Feels good that that little bugger can't bother me in the future now hehe! :laugh: Will clean the carbs and change the jets this week, ordered a whole a bunch of different jet sizes from Z1enterprises. Think I will start out with +1 pilot jet and +3 main jet and then take it from there once the bike's back home.

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 15 Aug 2016 06:50 #738729

• SWEKZ
  • User
So, I think it's time to update this thread =)

I built a manometer to sync the carbs, worked really good! I inserted 1 pilotjet in each hose to take care of the pulses, the fluid was very steady and it was easy to read. Also, I learned that it is a pain in the ass to tighten the lock nuts without moving the screws once the settings are good!.. :sick: I ended up with having to remove the carbs, tighten the lock nuts and then put them back on and do the readings again, anyone has any tips on this? ;) After that I rejetted which took me quite some time, the starting point at +3 main jet was way off hehe

Attachment rezized_1.jpg not found

I'm real happy of how the saddle turned out, also, at first I wasn't fully satisfied with the color on the gas tank, but now with the brown leather I think it matched up really good and are very happy! I've ridden about 400 km so far and the riding position worked out really well too B)

Attachment rezized_2.jpg not found

Still some things to fix, among other things I need to make a permanent solution for the rear light, think I need to make a small fender under the rear light so that I don't get mud all over my back hehe. The licence plate is now moved to sit behind the rear brake caliper, still need to wire lights for that.
Attachments:

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 15 Aug 2016 07:56 #738737

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
here is the secret to getting those lock nuts tight.

www.motionpro.com/product/08-0022

bike turned out nice.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Re:KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 15 Aug 2016 12:48 #738775

• Rustyhama
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Yeah the colour looks good in that photo, I agree looks great with the tank. There are lots of photos on Pinterest of the short rear fenders for that style of bike. Great job, the bike looks awesome. Awaiting some glamour shots when she's all done!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 16 Aug 2016 00:56 #738832

• Wiers
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Great bike, love the colors.
I am about to paint my engine and yours turned out nice.
Any tips on how you did it?
Did you use any primer and how many layers did you need?
thanks
Eric

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 17 Aug 2016 00:34 #738989

• SWEKZ
  • User
Thank you !

I will have to do some pinteresting then, and try to take some glamour shots while it's still shiny hehe =)

For the lower engine I used a paint called "AutoK Enginecase paint" (I don't have any paint guns etc. so I have to use spraycans) , it was very easy to paint with! Started with one light "sticky layer", then 2 covering layers. This paint got way better that I had hoped for, tough surface! For the upper part of the engine I used a paint called "AutoK Heatpaint 650ºC", sprayed it several times with very, very light layers to get a thin coat, black isn't the best color for cooling and especially not a thick coat :D After the color had hardened through heat, I shaved the fins with a fine rasp (think it's called rasp :S) . Before the paint I first cleaned the engine, then scuffed everything very thourough with 400 grit scuffing pads (the soft ones). Cleaned it again and finally used a silicone removal spray before painting. Reading in forums, the last step wih the silicone removal spray is apparently really important. So far the paint holds up really well! Good luck with the painting Wiers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wiers

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 17 Aug 2016 00:39 #738990

• SWEKZ
  • User
Thanks Leon! Aaha, reckon I'll have to buy one of those now :D

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 17 Aug 2016 00:41 #738991

• Wiers
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Thanks for the info.
I will probably be doing some more cleaning up before I will try your method.
Looks like multiple thin layers is the way to go.

Eric

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 18 Sep 2016 11:39 #742746

• G-tron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Geat build. And I'm liking the colour on the tank. This is almost exacly what I'm doing with my 750. Yes grey tank and everything.

I'd love to see more pics of the clip ons etc. Does the 650 also have the air-assist on the front forks? I need to retain that, but still run aftermarket clip ons for the handle bars.
Eat, Sleep, Ride

Re:KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 18 Sep 2016 13:05 #742756

• Julsruls
  • User
Love it

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 18 Sep 2016 22:26 #742800

• SWEKZ
  • User
Thanks G-tron! Do you have a project thread for your build, want to see :D This is a 750 as well so I don't know if the 650 are air-assisted as well hehe. I will post some pictures!