Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000 alive after years in limbo 25 May 2016 14:47 #728515

• nitrokeeb
  • nitrokeeb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Purchased this bike 3 years ago. 1978 Kz1000 LTD with '76 KZ900 motor. The previous owner had been been working to cafe the bike. Larger KZ tank, clubmans, and flipped footpegs.

Attachment IMG_0177.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0179.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0180.JPG not found

It had some good parts, like a (supposedly) rebuilt motor, 34mm CV carbs, K&N's, progressive shocks, and new chrome Kerker.

But the wiring was a mess, the fork sliders were rusty, the swingarm bearings were shot, and the brake master cylinder leaked.

I did most of the work a couple of years ago, but the project got pushed to the side when my daughter was born, plus I bought a Buell to tinker with and ride.

Finally got back on the Kaw this spring. Sprayed 2K clear on the tank and tail. It still needs wetsanding, but it's already made contact with gasoline and brake fluid without melting. I sold off the Kerker for a Delkcovic. After 3 years of sitting it was starting to develop rust, and I wanted stainless. It's not the same quality as the Kerker, but it should serve me well. New front master cylinder, and cleaned out the rear. New seat from Z1E, superbike bars, and stock foot controls changed the attitude from a ratty cafe to muscle cruiser.

Attachment IMG_0860.JPG not found

Rode it for the first time last week, just out to get gas and a state inspection. Took it out for a 10 mile ride yesterday. Brakes are still mushy, will likely need more bleeding. Also she wants to stall on takeoff. I have to rev to 2-2.5k to get her going. I read so posts on hear saying that was a symptom of a stuck ignition advance. Tore it down today, and finding no apparent issue, decide to install the Dyna S I picked up from Brian, a member on the site. Turns out the rotor is wallowed out where engages the timing advance.

So after 3 years, and my first ride, she's down again! I screwed up the adjustment on the points, so I think I'll just wait for my new rotor to come in from Dyna.
1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 alive after years in limbo 25 May 2016 18:31 #728559

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1969
Nice ;)
Keep it up :)
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

KZ1000 alive after years in limbo 25 May 2016 18:37 #728562

• Tirefire Pat
  • User
  • (2) 1980 kz1000 b-ltd,,h2-750 triple,sold.kz 550 ,
  • Thank you received: 11
How do you rate the sound of the delkevic versus the sound of the jerked?? I'm considering a delkevic.. thx nice bike...

KZ1000 alive after years in limbo 25 May 2016 18:39 #728563

• Tirefire Pat
  • User
  • (2) 1980 kz1000 b-ltd,,h2-750 triple,sold.kz 550 ,
  • Thank you received: 11
Dam auto correct.KERKER I ment

KZ1000 alive after years in limbo 25 May 2016 20:31 #728585

• nitrokeeb
  • User
Last time I heard the Kerker as three years ago when I test drove the bike. It had a 2.5 id competition baffle, which was a very loud. The delkovic has a 2" id glasspack with a removable baffle tube. After the state inspection I pulled the baffle tube. Not too loud at cruise but sings when you get on it. I like it.

It seems to be thinner gauge steel. There are a few very slight dimples at a few of the bends. It also discolored pretty bad at the first startup. That maybe due to all the fuel dumped down the exhaust due to me having the coil wiring swapped.

I drilled another hole in the rear bracket to raise the exhaust outlet as high as possible. I wanted to keep the look of the Kerker. Now I can't pull the drain plug without unbolting the rear bracket and flexing the exhaust down. Next time I may just remove the springs at the collector and remove everything after the primaries.

KZ1000 alive after years in limbo 26 May 2016 17:07 #728729

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

nitrokeeb wrote: It also discolored pretty bad at the first startup. That maybe due to all the fuel dumped down the exhaust due to me having the coil wiring swapped.

Stainless will turn gold as it heats up and oxides, It is completely normal and there is no way to prevent it. If your header starts turning brown it may mean you are running too lean, or your motor is running hot.
Bike looks great BTW.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

KZ1000 alive after years in limbo 26 May 2016 17:22 #728730

• nitrokeeb
  • User
There are a few dark brown spots. Also had an idle of around 1500 when warmed up. May have an air leak. I have no problem with the gold color.

KZ1000 alive after years in limbo 31 May 2016 11:01 #729360

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46
Cool bike! Nice!
This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!

• Page: