Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 06 Jun 2016 05:54 #730256

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
turned out very nice!

congrats on getting the paint work along.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi Z1R 07 Jun 2016 21:43 #730511

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Okay, got into the swingarm over the last couple of days with the intention of stripping it to get ready for powder coating. Whilst standing around looking at it, it dawned on me that the brake stay bracket had been shifted and was mounted on the bottom of the swingarm. I got the swingarm off a guy that had a Z1000 race bike and must have been running an underslung brake setup. I pondered this for a while and came to the conclusion that I would like the bike to remain aesthetically similar as possible to (ish) as an original Z1R so the correct and proper thing to do is return it to standard (ish). Had to cut off the mount from the bottom, clean up the mess left behind, and then reattach it on the top. Job's tidy!

Mount on the bottom............

Mount now on the top...........

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 07 Jun 2016 23:41 #730518

• larriken
  • User
Better shots, should clean up well once its sand blasted and coated.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 08 Jun 2016 05:50 #730534

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
and that my dear sir is the proper way of performing that task

looks better than factory ,

but,it does make me wonder if it wasn't actually a drum brake arm?

looks right now tho

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Last edit: by 531blackbanshee.

Kiwi Z1R 08 Jun 2016 23:32 #730652

• larriken
  • User
While we are on a roll I got my front rim back from being repaired. Here was the poor beaten, sad looking specimen before.............

and after the repair...............

Wheel and Frame in Cambridge, New Zealand, wicked job as usual. I am well stoked.
Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 09 Jun 2016 00:41 #730653

• Rustyhama
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Nice! Did you see there's a Z1R on Trademe, he's asking 10k for it but it looks a little rough, well ridden I'd guess, almost 100,000 km's on her too.
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

Kiwi Z1R 09 Jun 2016 00:46 #730654

• larriken
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: and that my dear sir is the proper way of performing that task

looks better than factory ,

but,it does make me wonder if it wasn't actually a drum brake arm?

looks right now tho

leon

I wondered that too to be honest Leon and checked a mates Z1B and the lock for the nut is on the inside of the swingarm. On the braced one I have it is on the outside.

Kiwi Z1R 09 Jun 2016 00:49 #730655

• larriken
  • User

Rustyhama wrote: Nice! Did you see there's a Z1R on Trademe, he's asking 10k for it but it looks a little rough, well ridden I'd guess, almost 100,000 km's on her too.

Yeah sure did mate but to be honest it would cost me 10k and then I would pull it to bits and rebuild it anyways so it makes a bloody expensive start point. Still, if I had a spare 10k lol

Kiwi Z1R 09 Jun 2016 04:59 #730658

• weales
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
Hey there Larriken, I'm another K-one W-one and am 98% through my '78 Z1-R resto. Just some final fittings to go on - instruments, headlight, fairing and we're ready to roll. (I've been posting my project progress on this site also)
Hope to have photos of the finished article on here next week.
Your challenge has been immensely more difficult than mine and I admire your work and determination!
Mine will never be concourse or original as it has a '79 Z1000 A3 MKii motor (as bought) but will be good enough to enjoy and be proud of (considering what it was like when I bought the basket case 4 and a 1/2 years ago!)

I did see a '78 Z1-R for sale recently in "original condition" (has a modified swingarm and probably other non-original stuff at a dealer in Victoria for $AUD 17,500. Mine has cost me not quite that much, but over nearly 5 years hasn't been too much of a drain on the pocket.
Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

Kiwi Z1R 11 Jun 2016 23:55 #731028

• larriken
  • User

weales wrote: Hey there Larriken, I'm another K-one W-one and am 98% through my '78 Z1-R resto. Just some final fittings to go on - instruments, headlight, fairing and we're ready to roll. (I've been posting my project progress on this site also)
Hope to have photos of the finished article on here next week.
Your challenge has been immensely more difficult than mine and I admire your work and determination!
Mine will never be concourse or original as it has a '79 Z1000 A3 MKii motor (as bought) but will be good enough to enjoy and be proud of (considering what it was like when I bought the basket case 4 and a 1/2 years ago!)

I did see a '78 Z1-R for sale recently in "original condition" (has a modified swingarm and probably other non-original stuff at a dealer in Victoria for $AUD 17,500. Mine has cost me not quite that much, but over nearly 5 years hasn't been too much of a drain on the pocket.

Sweet that you are getting near fnished mate. I reckon I have about at least 70 years to go lol :lol: :blink: Fire up a pic, would love to have a look at your bike.

Kiwi Z1R 20 Jun 2016 01:30 #732077

• larriken
  • User
Back again, been a reasonably uneventful last week when it comes to the Z1R. Got the rims back from the sand blasters and have ordered a new set of Lasertec's to go on them when they get back from the powder coaters. Hopefully have them back all looking sharp later in the week!

I have started on the restoring the clocks as well which has been interesting to say the least. I pulled the clocks apart on the KZP and all the repressed memories of lost skin came rushing back. So despite stabbing myself yet again with the screw driver I did get them apart. I have a pile of instrument parts to work from which is a bonus and big thanks again to Eddiem for hooking me up with the clocks! Speedo is in good nick and works sweet, just a bit faded on the face but a spit n polish and looks brand new (ish). Only bummer is the speedo glass broke in transit so I will have to get another piece cut.

Last edit: by larriken.

Kiwi Z1R 20 Jun 2016 01:37 #732079

• larriken
  • User
When I pulled the instruments out of their respective brackets the old rubbers that held them snugly in place were absolutely poked. They had turned into some nasty brittle mess which was no use to me anymore! I pondered this for a while and thought of a few ways to replace them since you can't by the OEM damper anymore. In the end my searching took me all the way to a good bloke in the UK that made a set of silicon replacements for me from a mould he had. Received them the other day and mint, they fit perfectly and the clocks will all be snug again!

Attachments:

Last edit: by larriken.