Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 19 May 2016 04:14 #727383

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
What kinda numbnuts didn't know Kiwi = New Zealander?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi Z1R 19 May 2016 06:18 #727400

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797

larriken wrote: oh, and possibly the best bit of airbrushing ever on the side cover. Any Michael Jackson fans out there?

so is it considered a 79 or 80?

gotta be a rare bird ya got there ,

cannot wait to watch this thing come together.

and oh btw,thank your wife on our behalf for not turning you into a homeless wandering vagabond :P
and the internet connection :laugh:

keep them pics coming :woohoo:

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Last edit: by 531blackbanshee.

Kiwi Z1R 19 May 2016 14:17 #727452

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61

GPzMOD750 wrote: What kinda numbnuts didn't know Kiwi = New Zealander?

Name and shame lol :lol:

Kiwi Z1R 20 May 2016 14:26 #727638

• Drooz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
The great story-telling makes a great build a truly wonderful build! Thanks! :cheer:
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

Kiwi Z1R 20 May 2016 22:35 #727702

• larriken
  • User
I have had a swingarm that I got from a guy that races Zed's which has been waiting patiently for a bike to go into. It has been braced and needs a bit of cleaning up but other than should be just what the doctor ordered.

I popped it in for a look and am pretty certain that I will go down this route. I couldn't build a bike back to standard but I would still like the Z1R to use the original wheels and have the original style still pretty much intact. One thing I would like is to lay the shocks down but haven't decided quite how yet. Maybe off the rear of the swingarm or by making a mount for the frame. I don't want to cut or weld this frame if I can help it.

Axle could do with a little grease lol :lol:

Couldn't help but pop in a ZR750 swingarm and the CB rim I was going to use on the GPZ. Mmmm cool but not for me on this one.

Kiwi Z1R 20 May 2016 22:39 #727703

• larriken
  • User
Frame is now good to go for powder coating too...........................holes plugged and tube over the vital bits for when it gets sand blasted.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 20 May 2016 22:46 #727704

• larriken
  • User
We're rolling now, shot down to my mates shop to use his tyre (remember no American English in the Kiwi Z1R build thread). If you are in Onekawa, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand call into Bikeworx!

Arrrr crap, hadn't noticed this before. Amazing what you don't see hiding under the dirt. No biggie but just means saving a few more dollars to get it repaired properly. To be honest I thought I was onto a winner as I thought I had another 18" rim buried in the shed. Bonus was yes, I did have a rim, bugger was it was a 19".

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 20 May 2016 22:48 #727705

• larriken
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote:

larriken wrote: oh, and possibly the best bit of airbrushing ever on the side cover. Any Michael Jackson fans out there?

so is it considered a 79 or 80?

gotta be a rare bird ya got there ,

cannot wait to watch this thing come together.

and oh btw,thank your wife on our behalf for not turning you into a homeless wandering vagabond :P
and the internet connection :laugh:

keep them pics coming :woohoo:

leon

Haha absolutely, funny thing is another box arrived today from Japan! Least I'll have somewhere to put my feet now! It is a D1 so it would be a 78 made in 79. Clear as mud.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 21 May 2016 04:10 #727715

• rimbim
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I noticed you have the plastic shroud that sits inside the fairing and surrounds the gauges , do you have gauges ? I took apart my set . The rubbers that surround the fuel ,volt ,tach and speedo are rotten but everything else looks great . In the past i have sanded and painted gauges and the end result is nice . I can save them for you if your interested . I wonder if the rubbers are still available ? Porsche uses rubbers very similar in old 911's . I purchased a gpz 900 swing arm (too wide ) for my hot rod kawa , after seeing your post i realize i should have brought a 750 gpz arm . I took my head into shop for valve job and had my cylinders checked . they said just a hone would clean them up . I checked the price of new rings and for another 150 i can get a big bore kit ;) .
[attachment:1]IMG_20160521_0618555.jpg[/attachmen

Kiwi Z1R 21 May 2016 10:40 #727757

• Davidkz1r
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4

rimbim wrote: I noticed you have the plastic shroud that sits inside the fairing and surrounds the gauges , do you have gauges ? I took apart my set . The rubbers that surround the fuel ,volt ,tach and speedo are rotten but everything else looks great . In the past i have sanded and painted gauges and the end result is nice . I can save them for you if your interested . I wonder if the rubbers are still available ? Porsche uses rubbers very similar in old 911's . I purchased a gpz 900 swing arm (too wide ) for my hot rod kawa , after seeing your post i realize i should have brought a 750 gpz arm . I took my head into shop for valve job and had my cylinders checked . they said just a hone would clean them up . I checked the price of new rings and for another 150 i can get a big bore kit ;) .

Rubbers not available, but there is a guy over here in the UK who has had some remade, I have had a set and they are perfect, check UK ebay

Kiwi Z1R 22 May 2016 00:20 #727845

• larriken
  • User

rimbim wrote: I noticed you have the plastic shroud that sits inside the fairing and surrounds the gauges , do you have gauges ? I took apart my set . The rubbers that surround the fuel ,volt ,tach and speedo are rotten but everything else looks great . In the past i have sanded and painted gauges and the end result is nice . I can save them for you if your interested . I wonder if the rubbers are still available ? Porsche uses rubbers very similar in old 911's . I purchased a gpz 900 swing arm (too wide ) for my hot rod kawa , after seeing your post i realize i should have brought a 750 gpz arm . I took my head into shop for valve job and had my cylinders checked . they said just a hone would clean them up . I checked the price of new rings and for another 150 i can get a big bore kit ;) .

I have sent you a pm, are you going to use your side covers? Specifically the right one? I have a left and right but the right is a copy and I would rather track down an original if possible.

Kiwi Z1R 23 May 2016 07:53 #728011

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
80b4 posted these in another thread.

as soon as i saw them i got an idea about bolt on upper shock mounts to lay the shocks forward.

how bout you ?any inspiration there?

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments: