Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 30 Aug 2016 00:17 #740485

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61

Rustyhama wrote:

larriken wrote: Anyone remember that horrible looking looking MKII of mine that I swapped with Graeme Crosby? It's coming back to life.............
www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/moto...ction-1146560584.htm

Hey Ken look what popped up on TradeMe today
www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/moto...ction-1150878487.htm
3k? Seems reasonable, it's a shafty. It's a bit big for me but a good project for some sucker! That's gotta be worth 10 all sorted eh? And there's a 77 KZ750B showed up today too and that 87 GPz 750 I quite like the look of. It must be Kawi season!

Totally, when it rains it pours! Wish I had the cash for that 750. Cheers. Andy not Ken lol!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Kiwi Z1R 30 Aug 2016 00:22 #740486

• Rustyhama
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Ha ha! Are you sure? I'm pretty sure your name is Ken.

Cheers
Hama
82 KZ 305 - Hamasaki cafe racer
80 KZ 750 - banished
06 KDX 200
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

Kiwi Z1R 11 Sep 2016 01:37 #741817

• larriken
  • User
Finally got some time to do a few things on the beast today. Since I now have a nearly rolling chasis I thought it was proper and fit to sort out some brakes for her! I finished the back wheel and I don't want to fit it until the rear caliper is ready to go. Soooo rear caliper would probably be the priority lol! Front calipers aren't to bad but the rear is utter utter poop. I did get it to bits and one piston out but the other is firmly stuck in. I have it soaking in CRC for the night and hopefully it will come out with another concerted effort. Off to order some caliper kiits now!

My calipers in all their glory!

Rear caliper catching its good side. :laugh:

I reckon there may have been a bit of brake fade. :blink:

Not a pretty site!

Good ol goopy mess shot!

and the aftermath shot

Finished up rim shot for a change from looking at brake calipers.

Kiwi Z1R 11 Sep 2016 14:46 #741880

• Tune-A-Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Maybe bolt it back together with a thin chunk of scrap aluminum plugging the passage to the other side then make up a grease fitting to pump grease in to push it out :whistle:
I didn't come here and I ain't leavin

Kiwi Z1R 11 Sep 2016 23:51 #741928

• larriken
  • User

Tune-A-Fish wrote: Maybe bolt it back together with a thin chunk of scrap aluminum plugging the passage to the other side then make up a grease fitting to pump grease in to push it out :whistle:

That is a sweet idea, onto it this evening!

Kiwi Z1R 16 Sep 2016 01:07 #742438

• larriken
  • User
Righto, still waiting on bits for the brakes so thought it was high time I put the battery box back in. I know I say this in every thread but man I love new bolts! Put the box in and it fits sweet and looks good with new rubbers and powder coat. Only bummer is that I now realise I am missing three of the parts that make up the battery box! :blink: On the hunt now for the missing bits so if you by any chance have any of these bits hiding in your shed please let me know! Also got the wheel adjusters back from being replated and that meant I can put in the back wheel! Oh yeah baby!!!! Rolling chasis, just need to get the back caliper sorted and I can bolt it all up properly and call it done. Oh yeah, put the sidestand on to, can't have a rolling chasis without a stand can we. Only issue here is the I have lots of springs from my spring box but none that fit. Bugger, off to Ebay Germany to see if I can track down a set of German model side stand springs :S

Kiwi Z1R 18 Sep 2016 21:52 #742799

• larriken
  • User
Hi all, back again with another addition tacked on to the Z1R. I scored a complete airbox system a few months ago and thought I would clean it up and see if it all fits. No worries there and it made me feel good adding something else to the bike even it is coming straight back off lol :laugh:

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 21 Oct 2016 21:53 #745887

• larriken
  • User
Wow, i looked at the date of the last post and she's been a while! Got sucked away with work and just haven't had a chance to get near the Zed. Luckily I have had a chance this weekend to start doing a few jobs. Calipers are the job of the weekend so I started by glass blasting the mounting hardware while the calipers sit and soak in some degreaser. Specially the back one as it's full of grease from squishing out the stuck piston. Tomorrow i will crack on and glass blast all three calipers ready for painting. I ordered a bunch of parts from Z1 and with them is all the rebuild kits so i will be good to go once they are painted. I am using the old pistons mainly because the have no pitting and have polished up really well and because I can't afford new ones lol.

Kiwi Z1R 21 Oct 2016 21:58 #745889

• larriken
  • User
Ripped into the seat too today. The pan is pretty rusty and rugged but only a couple of cracks and with a bit of love it should be sweet as. Not 100% sure where I will go with the seat, maybe standard but just a little slimmer up the front. Will ponder that while the pan is away gettting sand blasted and painted.

Kiwi Z1R 21 Oct 2016 22:01 #745890

• larriken
  • User
Front brakes mmmmmmmmmmmmm where to start. I have two sets to work from and one set was working pretty well when I bought it. Might just pull the better one to bits and give it a birthday. Not sure if I will paint the master cylinder but the cap for the reservoir is pretty ugly so spose if I am doing that.....................

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 22 Oct 2016 21:49 #745988

• larriken
  • User
Glass bead blasted the calipers today. Looking alot better than they did before, just need a paint and we're good to go....sortof.

Had a bit of an issue getting the top off the front brake reservoir, had to resort to the drill and ezy out. Hate rounded off philip head bolts. When I finally got the top off I pulled out it's little condom looking thing and it was very buggered. God knows if you can still get one of those!! :ohmy:

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 23 Oct 2016 00:15 #745992

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Get yourself a set of JIS screwdrivers, they aren't phillips head screws..... Phillips head screwdrivers are designed to "cam out" so you can't over tighten screws, they were designed in the 1930's for the American automobile industry, Jis on the other hand, were invented by the Japanese so they don't slip. JIS stands for Japanese Industry Standard, and are the screw headed bolts used on all Japanese motorcycles.... ;)

This should explain it...

www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/jis-screwdrivers/

I just bought a set of these Vessel JIS drivers, Japanese made and work brilliantly, the silver handled ones are impact drivers.. There's also an explanation on this page.... ;)

rhinotools.com.au/product/jis-vessel-screwdriver-set/
The following user(s) said Thank You: larriken, KZmarcel

Last edit: by 750 R1.