Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 01 Jul 2016 00:37 #733447

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61

DoctoRot wrote: im curious how much of that is the sander and how much is the CLR. you should do a test with just CLR and compare results.

Funnily enough I did that lol. Basically I got the same result with the CLR by itself but I had to leave it in the solution for 3 and half hours to get it. Photos show the shaken/CLR on the left, just CLR in the middle, and unclean on the right. Not a lot of difference just time really. I am going to pop into town tomorrow and find a jar big enough to fit the main carb body in and have a crack at that.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi Z1R 01 Jul 2016 00:41 #733448

• larriken
  • User
I ordered some rubbers n bits and bobs from Z1 Parts Inc the other day and blam!!! ...........................................three days later they were on my doorstep. Not bad considering they have come from the US to New Zealand. I can buy parts here in NZ and they take longer to arrive. Big thumbs up to Z1 Parts. Well happy and I will be shopping with them again. :)
Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 01 Jul 2016 05:49 #733460

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
I have my third speedo from them and it is rock solid. Rather than ignoring me like another I won't mention, They kept sending me a new one. I'm ordering some more parts today.
z1parts.net/kawasaki-new-z1-kz-gas-tank-...-set-new-band-combo/

I will never buy NOS rubber again.

I'll buy these.
z1parts.net/kz900-kz1000-front-fork-rubber-dust-shield-boot/
I'm very happy with their service. B)
Steve
Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 02 Jul 2016 16:56 #733641

• EdwidjR
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ah yes. motorcycle parts suppliers in nz.......
My local agent sez he can have my new air filters here in six weeks.
I have just received my new air filters from the USA in six days after ordering them direct from the factory. (I will always try to support my local business but that is ridic).
The same day I ordered the filters from the states I also ordered some new disks from a major city 250Kms away..... still waiting.

Just in case anyone is still reading, Does anyone know of a good supplier for velocity stacks to suit RS34 carbs? I would really like to run a Unifilter Quad pod setup but need some stacks to mount it off (hence I settled on a set of oval K&Ns to replace the ill fitting K&N twins).

Kiwi Z1R 02 Jul 2016 23:19 #733679

• larriken
  • User

EdwidjR wrote: Ah yes. motorcycle parts suppliers in nz.......
My local agent sez he can have my new air filters here in six weeks.
I have just received my new air filters from the USA in six days after ordering them direct from the factory. (I will always try to support my local business but that is ridic).
The same day I ordered the filters from the states I also ordered some new disks from a major city 250Kms away..... still waiting.

Just in case anyone is still reading, Does anyone know of a good supplier for velocity stacks to suit RS34 carbs? I would really like to run a Unifilter Quad pod setup but need some stacks to mount it off (hence I settled on a set of oval K&Ns to replace the ill fitting K&N twins).

Haha totally I never quite understand the "it'll take three weeks for that part to come from Japan" when you can get it within two days if you order it yourself.

Kiwi Z1R 02 Jul 2016 23:25 #733680

• larriken
  • User
Okay, the plastic jar got an upgrade to the carb body sizd version.

Got a growling for using the sink to rinse and scrub the carb parts. Oops :laugh:

Before................

and after..................

Kiwi Z1R 02 Jul 2016 23:28 #733681

• larriken
  • User
Came up pretty good, now to get some gaskets and put them back together again.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 05 Jul 2016 00:48 #733914

• larriken
  • User
Oh yeah baby!!!! :cheer: Got my bits back from the powder coaters. Love this bit when you drop off all this old ratty looking shit and voila you beautiful looking motorcycle parts again. Yep, I get a little over excited. Funny thing is this is also the time when you find the couple of parts that you forgot to drop off for coating too :blink: .

Footpeg mounts and new rubber dampers. Done! Might have no motor or wheels but at least I have a place to put my feet (sortof).

Also cracked open my clear tail light since I have a nice shiny black bracket to attach it to. Not sure if I will stay with the clear but I just couldn't help buying it. ..............

Kiwi Z1R 05 Jul 2016 08:08 #733956

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
A little creativity is refreshing. B)
Steve

Kiwi Z1R 12 Jul 2016 00:45 #734648

• larriken
  • User
Slowly, slowly, slowly............................................but surely :laugh: Knocked out the old bearing races and put in the new ones so I can now install nice new roller bearings in the steering head.

Action shot of my mate Eddie pressing the bottom bearing on. Beats me beating the shit of it with a bit of pipe and a big hammer. Amazing how easy the job is with the proper tools lol.

Hey presto, got a triple tree installed ready for the forks to go in. Just need to pick up some fork oil tomorrow and hopefully should have most of the frontend in tomorrow night.

Also managed to find time to drag my KZP out for a hoon on the weekend. Went for a ride to Taihape, 150k's there in the pissing down rain and freezing cold, and then 150k's home in more of the same. Was fun though and the big cop bike just eats the windy country roads. We even had time to partake in a pint, a pie, and bit of a gumboot throwing in Taihape (not much else to do there to be honest lol).

Gumboot throwing, only a couple of cars and bikes were hurt with the misthrows. :S

Kiwi Z1R 16 Jul 2016 00:10 #735090

• larriken
  • User
A day of failure and success today! :laugh: My mission at the moment is refurbing my instruments and one thing that has been bugging me is the tacho redline is now so sun faded it is a slightly whitey orange. Not very nice looking so I thought I would paint in some red to give it a new lease of life. What a cock up! I taped off the sections for painting and all looked good until I took the tape off. Bit of paint seepage under the tape. No biggie, I'll get some thinners and clean it off. It cleaned it off for sure, but also took the original black background and my 10 off too!!! :blink: Ooooops. From a distance (big distance) it looks okay but to be honest it really is a shit job so might just have to suck it up and buy a new tacho face.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 16 Jul 2016 00:47 #735094

• larriken
  • User
Today was the day to sort out my broken glass from the speedo. Luckily enough I found a couple of old speedos in a box at the back at the shed. I pulled the glass out of them and all I had to do was make a hole in the glass for the Z1R trip which exits out the front. To be honest I have never drilled a hole in glass before so I asked the guy down at the hardware store and he sent me home with diamond head drill bit. Apparently the ducks nuts for drilling holes in glass.

As it turns out I probably shouldn't be trusted with tools like this because to be damned if I could get that bit out of the box!!!!

I made a carboard centre for my glass sandwich and taped the glass to be drilled to the old glass with carboard in the middle. Mainly to keep the drill bit from moving around and to get the hole in the right place.

Attachments: