Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZombie 10 May 2016 14:33 #725576

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
You're right Steve, there are indeed two seals in the sprocket cover as you say, never noticed the inside one.

That accounts for the third seal, I edited my post above accordingly, thanks.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZombie 10 May 2016 14:47 #725578

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
They are there more for support than sealing.
Steve

KZombie 10 May 2016 14:50 #725579

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Yeah, guess the two in the sprocket cover should be called bushings rather than seals.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

KZombie 10 May 2016 14:56 #725582

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Mine were worn out for years. Finally replaced them. Now I have a different cover. Lucky they are in good shape. Have to destroy them to get them out. :dry:
Steve

KZombie 11 May 2016 06:40 #725688

• wrenchmonkey
  • wrenchmonkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
Thank you again gentlemen!

As always, your input, answers and experiences give me great confidence.
So basically, it sounds like the two engine seals on either end of the crankshaft (look same but apparently subtly different) are the only two seals I can't replace unless I crack open the case down there.
Seems a shame because aren't those seals the most likely to leak.

See how this is for the neophyte KZ fan?
Every time I do something that I think will make the situation better and take one more step closer to the finish line; the bike smirks at me, tempting me deeper into the shadowed darkness and unknown...
Splitting the cases? :ohmy: A little? :unsure: To replace 2 seals? :dry:

I can hear it now - metallic, clanking sounds as internal parts slip out of position. Slippery, shining bits of metal pins or bearing races sporadically clink out into the light... Primordial ooze weeps over the edges of erstwhile dry gasket surfaces, never to be dry again because I didn't go whole hog and split the case the whole way... Down...Deeper... Darker... Into the...

KZombie 11 May 2016 06:50 #725691

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Nothing is going to go sproinggggg. You're there so why not?
Steve

KZombie 11 May 2016 07:32 #725703

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
Well... dang it. I know it's the right thing to do. I'm just skeered :blush:

So paint me a picture. How's it go?
0 - impact wrench to remove the flywheel but the cylinder head is still not installed; how to lock-u the motor for that tough bolt?
1 - remove the oil pan. I have a gasket set that probably includes a new pan gasket.
2 - loosen all those bolts squeezing the lower half onto the upper half. How much is enough loosening to pry out the seals?
3 - Slip off, slip on new seals.
4 - reverse everything back

Is that about it?
What happens to the case halves I split open; won't they leak when reassembled?
Still nervous since my cylinder head is still in the bag.
I can't really move the engine around as I don't have an engine mount; it's just sitting on my bench, on it's oil pan, on 2 blocks of wood. Guess I hafta make-up some kind of jig to hold the engine on it's sides? Timing side jig to replace flywheel seal and output shaft side to replace the timing seal.

KZombie 11 May 2016 07:46 #725706

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
If it's not leaking you can roll the dice and move on. You will take all the bolts off the top of the case then turn it upside down for the bottom ones.
One of our members fashioned a tool to hold the rotor while removing the bolt.
Steve

KZombie 11 May 2016 07:48 #725708

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
I've seen Patton come up with some trick but simple tools, like using an old chain to wrap around a sprocket and then punch it and put a bolt through to act as a pinch and lever/handle, maybe something along these lines?

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

KZombie 11 May 2016 08:10 #725711

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
Yes. I ultimately had to use that member idea of the chain around the drive sprocket with two 1/4" bolts to lock it up BUT KZombie doesn't even have the new sprocket installed yet...
I wasn't going to start rebuilding the engine until I could mount the stripped-down lunk into the frame. Sigh...
Is this case split something that could be accomplished once the engine is back in the bike frame maybe? I mean, I had purchased gasket collections long ago to rebuild the engine but I never got that far back then when I had access to my full-on shop with all the tool toys I need to be ... less skeered of tackling such a job.

I keep going back to the fact the bike has low miles as to reasoning for not doing a full tear-down but then 30+ years of sitting in that field makes me think rubber seals are probably brick-hard and even though the engine has always been a dry one. It has never run in my ownership so once I get Humpty all back together and running (Wow! How's that for confidence?) how many of the rubber bits are going to go the way of the Dodo?

Dilemma :unsure:

KZombie 11 May 2016 08:15 #725712

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Grit your teeth, hold hour breath and dive in, the water's fine. :woohoo:
Steve

KZombie 11 May 2016 08:23 #725714

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

wrenchmonkey wrote: Yes. I ultimately had to use that member idea of the chain around the drive sprocket with two 1/4" bolts to lock it up BUT KZombie doesn't even have the new sprocket installed yet...
I wasn't going to start rebuilding the engine until I could mount the stripped-down lunk into the frame. Sigh...
Is this case split something that could be accomplished once the engine is back in the bike frame maybe? I mean, I had purchased gasket collections long ago to rebuild the engine but I never got that far back then when I had access to my full-on shop with all the tool toys I need to be ... less skeered of tackling such a job.

I keep going back to the fact the bike has low miles as to reasoning for not doing a full tear-down but then 30+ years of sitting in that field makes me think rubber seals are probably brick-hard and even though the engine has always been a dry one. It has never run in my ownership so once I get Humpty all back together and running (Wow! How's that for confidence?) how many of the rubber bits are going to go the way of the Dodo?

Dilemma :unsure:

It would certainly be a calculated risk, taken plenty of them myself over the years and sometimes I come out smelling like a rose and other times I come out smelling... well NOT like a rose HAHAA! I would say if you have the ability to split the cases and it isn't a massive PITA at this stage it would be worth doing, if not then well you can always rip the motor out again should you have to. Would it suck to do that, ohhhh yeah! BUT, gotta do what you gotta do so you can take the gamble and hope for something other than Snake-Eyes :P

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider