Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 26 Apr 2016 15:20 #723123

• Irish-Kawi
  • Irish-Kawi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

650mod wrote: Brett- I have a local kawi shop in my town that I just swing by and they get the carb toolbox out for. I'm lucky in that sense- they have any and all mains, pilots, clips, etc for the mikuni carbs. Hopefully you get some soon.

Devin

Thanks Devin, appreciate the reply and well wishes :D

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 07 May 2016 09:53 #725043

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Well due to the move not a lot of progress and absolutely NO money to spend on the bike right now but have made a few small steps here and there that I figured I would share…. Broken up into a few posts since these are pic heavy and I can only load 4 pics per post that I have found.

One thing was that I was able to figure out the final step to finish off the fueling and lean out conditions with the new K&N filter. I need to step up one size in the pilot jets as Steve suggested. Stock sizing is #37.5 so need to step up to #40's there. Oddly enough I cannot find any pilot jets let alone #40's on Z1E for the BS34 carbs, I can find it for other carb types but not the BS34's, huh…

Also pulled the plugs since they have had some miles put on them and can peek and see how Saya is burning, have to say she looks great! Each plug has the jug number it was pulled from written behind it on the shop towel in the pics:

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 07 May 2016 09:54 #725044

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Continued…

On another front there has about a 1.5" X .25" tear in the seat and was slowly growing that I wanted to fix. So a bit of masking off and some Shoe Goo product applied with some time to cure and fixed… came out pretty darned good for a spot treatment fix until I recover the seat in a custom cover.

Here is a pic of the seat masked and wet with the Shoe Goo:

And after it set and done:

My buddy who is building and constructing the customs fender eliminator that I patterned and designed is making some progress as well and is working on the tail light box that bolts to the underside of the new rear fender delete I designed:

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 07 May 2016 09:54 #725045

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Lastly, got plates on it yesterday and registered and titled in the new county that we have moved to! The new house is a large duplex with much more space and much nicer than where we are currently at, huge back yard and good size front yard and is in a family neighborhood. Best of all, for the very first time ever I have a garage and it fits all of my tool chests, the bike, shelving and storage, work bench AND the car inside the single car garage and can walk around everything even with the door closed and everything loaded into the garage! Here’s a few shots of the garage for how it is currently organized and decorated:

Lastly, got the 2nd most important part (1st being the garage of course :D ) of the house setup, the almighty liquor cabinet is moved over and ready for me to pour a celebratory bourbon when we start sleeping at the new place on the 14th :P When I put in my signature that I was a “bourbonr” I wasn't kidding… whiskey is one of the few hobbies that I have. Whiskey, bikes, cars, cigars and guns/knives are my hobbies and you can see just what a whiskey collector and fan I am LOL, those bottles are 3-4 deep on each shelf so the cabinet is at capacity :P

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 07 May 2016 11:26 #725053

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599

Irish-Kawi wrote: Well due to the move not a lot of progress and absolutely NO money to spend on the bike right now but have made a few small steps here and there that I figured I would share…. Broken up into a few posts since these are pic heavy and I can only load 4 pics per post that I have found.

One thing was that I was able to figure out the final step to finish off the fueling and lean out conditions with the new K&N filter. I need to step up one size in the pilot jets as Steve suggested. Stock sizing is #37.5 so need to step up to #40's there. Oddly enough I cannot find any pilot jets let alone #40's on Z1E for the BS34 carbs, I can find it for other carb types but not the BS34's, huh…

Also pulled the plugs since they have had some miles put on them and can peek and see how Saya is burning, have to say she looks great! Each plug has the jug number it was pulled from written behind it on the shop towel in the pics:

Lean. If you run it that way too long you start burning oil thus the black on the plugs. I'd get the larger pilots ASAP. :unsure:
Steve
jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/a_...kits_a_selection.htm

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 07 May 2016 12:15 #725059

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Thanks Steve, took a peek at the site you sent and when I pulled up the pilot jets for the BS series carbs ( saw a listing for BS30/90 but not BS34 so had to search a different way) there are two types of pilot jets, no cross drilled holes and cross drilled holes in shaft. Without pulling the pilot jet out of my carb which is a pain, how would I know which I have since I can't find a mention of it in the FSM for that??? :blink:

Thanks,
Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 07 May 2016 12:49 #725064

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Send them a e-mail.
Steve

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 12 May 2016 07:31 #725923

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Well got a few hours of time working on the bike last night, first night in the new garage working on it too :woohoo:
First off, man oh man it is a dream being able to wrench on my bike in my own garage for the first time ever, that was seriously sweet and very rewarding :D But onto the progress!

So I decided that since funding was kaput for right now that I would spend my time rubbing, buffing, sanding etc and making Saya glow once again. So I started by stripping her down... tank off, seat off, underbelly off, side covers off, mid fairings off, and even coils off lol. After I spent about a half hour stripping her down I was finally at my starting point for the evening. Decided I would start in on stripping the head, jugs and rocker cover among other things to prep for paint, and this is where I started at:

Not terrible but definitely showing her age and patina with the faded, flaking or even missing paint there. Doubtful most people notice and most would also probably not be bothered by this but it drives me nuts every time I see it, must be that annoying OCD rearing its meticulous head again :silly:

So, chucked up some wire wheels in my drills (baby drill and big boy drill lol) and went after the cases after I had sprayed em all down with Simple Green and scrubbed them like crazy with a tooth brush, man that is tedious work :pinch:

Continued in next post for picture limit reasons (too many links)

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 12 May 2016 07:36 #725926

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Soooooo an hour and a half later its starting to get late enough that I need to pack back up, clean up and head back to the old apartment and head to bed. Here is what I was able to get done before calling it a night:

Got pretty far into it and was overall pleased with my progress. Next steps are to strip the other coil off the other side, pull the carbs and pull the header/exhaust to get full access to the front and rear of the jugs and then wrap up stripping those as well as wrap up stripping the head and rocker cover for the other side too. While I was at it started working on the header flanges too as they were pretty rough and when I strip the header off I will also clean that bad boy up and spray it with the BBQ paint at the same time that I spray the jugs and head and rocker cover. Decided for cost reasons to go with flat black BBQ paint and because the rest of the parts were/are already flat black. The lower cases are still pretty shiny and clean with the gloss black and think that the contrast will work well. So that is where I am at, still need a few more hours of stripping and rubbing then cleaning the crap out of everything and then I can spray it and put it back together and then go for a ride to cure everything :evil:

Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 12 May 2016 15:00 #726014

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Well after doing all the initial yard work and cleaning of the new house I ended up getting about another hour of wire wheel work in the other side of the engine today. Long, dirty tedious work for sure but the end result will be worth it me thinks.

Next step is to remove the carbs and header and wire wheel the front and rear of the jugs and fins, then I decided to also attack the header and strip that down a ways to paint it at the same time as the engine. Once everything is stripped and good to go then I will blast t off with a pressure washer, soak it in Simple Green and attack it with a toothbrush again, then blast it off one more time. Then dry everything, slap on some degreaser and then shoot everything. Reassemble and take her for a 30 min run to cure it and then take some sandpaper and rub off the paint for the edges of the fins and raised sections of the rocker cover... Man I bit off a big chunk of work this time :whistle:

Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 13 May 2016 09:00 #726152

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Soooooo KZR I had a bit of an epiphany last night about how much of a dumba$$ I was without even thinking about it. :pinch: :S :unsure:

So I have the bike totally stripped apart right? More stripped down than any time before, body panels, underbelly, coils, etc etc, would take a while to put everything back together right??? Well tomorrow we do the big move to the new house, and on Sunday I head back to work.... WAIT A MINUTE! My office is still at the old place for another week or two and we only have one car and my motorcycle! SH!T!!!!!!

So yeah, I have to use Saya to commute to and from work for the next week or two and forgetting that like a simpleton I have the bike blown apart and the engine half stripped of paint! CRAP!!! Poor Saya is stripped down exposing her naked jugs right now :silly: :silly: (hehehe yeah I'm a dork I know) but I have to be able to ride to Longmont with her Sunday morning at 8am, yup I reallllllllly am an idiot :whistle:

So new plan.... this evening I have to go up, spray off the bike, soak the engine in Simple Green and attack it with a toothbrush, then degrease it, then shoot the BBQ paint tonight on the part that are bare and currently exposed, No, it will not be the complete job that I thought it would be nor will I be doing the exhaust etc. I think I should still be able to do a pretty nice spray job all the same but frustrating that I cannot strip it as much as I wanted to and shoot it with as few obstructions as possible, but it is what it is and this is what I have to do. So spray it tonight, then tomorrow once the move is done put her back together and cure the paint, then I can ride it for commuting on Sunday morning, whew! :blush:

Thanks for listening to this goofball :whistle:
Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 13 May 2016 09:47 #726158

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
A day in the life. :unsure:
Steve