Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 09 Apr 2016 11:58 #720061

• Irish-Kawi
  • Irish-Kawi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
Well submitted an order from Z1Enterprises, 4 #112.5 Main jets and a 12 pk of Mikuni specific shims that are .5mm thick each. 2 shims is the equivalent of 1 notch on the adjustable needles (which mine are not), so when they arrive will put in 2 shims to start on each needle and then test her out after swapping the main jets.

Hope this fixes it and really sounds like it should, thanks again for everyone who was helping out!

Thanks,
Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 09 Apr 2016 12:18 #720063

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
So now a few days later now after the petcock install I went out to check for any leaks, everything was bone dry and sealed up tight as a drum! I was still concerned about fuel somehow leaking or moving past (maybe even something in the carbs stuck open filling the cylinders????? :( ) so put the choke on moved the new sexy billet lever to on and barely even bumped the starter and it already lit and fired up immediately! With the old petcock that never happened, if it sat for even a day it would fill the cylinders and create a hydrolock situation that made it so that I had to pump the gas out before I could get it to run. So can confirm that the leak and petcock issue is now 100% FIXED!!!! :woohoo:

Now I need to swap the oil and filter since it is contaminated with fuel and don't want to run that oil that is contaminated.

Brett

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 09 Apr 2016 17:20 #720093

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Well, I wasn't 100% pleased with my mock up that I did for my custom rear fender eliminator out of manila folder. So I went back to the drawing board and realized that I really did need to have the original stock plastic rear fender in my hands to measure, reference and use for mock ups etc. Sooooo back out to the back porch to strip the rear off if it again but this time found a way to disconnect all the wires so that I could get the part in my hands and bring up to my workshop upstairs (my "office" aka the master bedroom LMAO :laugh: ) and spent roughly 6hrs over the past few days to build an entire new mock up and fit, cut, measure and repeat etc. Man that was tedious BUT when it was all done it was one helluva final product! This time I decided to not use manila folder material but rather went to Hobby Lobby and for $9 picked up a giant sheet of matting used for picture framing that is nearly the same exact thickness of the aluminum I am going to use. Built the mock up of the matting material and then actually was able to physically mount it to the bike and test it out..... it looks SEXY!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

TADA!!!!!!

So here are the picks of the finished product all ready to tear apart and then mail off to have it constructed and welded together then shipped back to me! Going to have to break it up into a few posts since there are a lot of pictures though, be warned :silly:

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 09 Apr 2016 17:22 #720094

• Irish-Kawi
  • User

BTW the little "triangles" that you can see through in the corners will not be left that way, it will be welded up with aluminum plate as well so there are no holes or gaps, when it is done it is nearly a complete replica of the original just trimmed and cut to not show at all under the bike anymore.

Brett

Last edit: by Irish-Kawi.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 10 Apr 2016 15:32 #720218

• kshotx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey ,
just wondering how the mirrors worked out? They look good, do they give you better rear visibility? did you have to do a lot of mods to get them to fit? I'm getting tired of seeing my shoulders instead of the traffic behind me. Thanks for the info

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 11 Apr 2016 17:17 #720413

• Irish-Kawi
  • User

kshotx wrote: Hey ,
just wondering how the mirrors worked out? They look good, do they give you better rear visibility? did you have to do a lot of mods to get them to fit? I'm getting tired of seeing my shoulders instead of the traffic behind me. Thanks for the info

Hey KShot,

Great question and completely agree and understand where you are coming from. The mirrors on it right now are the original ones that show a perfect reflection of your shoulders and elbows hahaha :laugh: but as for the replacement mirrors that will likely be the very next thing I order. After doing some research the mirrors that are nearly a direct swap over are those 2001-2004 (i think 2004 but I know the 2001 and 2002 years work) of the ZR7S. As for modifications from what I have read the only two mods that may need to be done are possibly elongating one of the mounting holes and filing a small metal tab off of the bottom so that it mounts flush. I have also read that it does give you significantly better visibility, however I can't confirm it myself yet. I plan to order these when the next paycheck lands in 2 weeks so can tell you then. Here is a GPz750 Turbo with those mirrors installed though to give you an idea of look and function.

**NOTE** These are NOT my pictures or bike, I am not claiming anything as mine simply sharing pic from another forum with these pics

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 12 Apr 2016 17:32 #720603

• kshotx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the info Brett, the mirrors on the turbo look about right
Kurt

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 13 Apr 2016 11:43 #720743

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
No problem and yeah I like them too ;)

On another separate note, had a package from Z1E show up today with my new jets and shims so I can finally put to bed this carb and filter issue I hope :D

Normally would jump on it tomorrow but it is supposed to be just shy of 80 degrees so I setup a ride with Pops up through the mountains and canyons up behind Horsetooth Reservoir and into Rist Canyon to spend a few hours on the bikes! Plenty of time to wrench in the next few days and weeks, but the weather is too perfect to pass up so going to get out and just enjoy the ride tomorrow :)

Brett

Last edit: by Irish-Kawi.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 19 Apr 2016 16:01 #721889

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Very small update here folks, still waiting to finish up with this darned fueling issue on Friday which is the first time I can get to work on it. In the meantime picked up some Turtle Wax Jet Black trim product and have been rubbing on all the black plastic trying to get it back to looking new or nearly new. Some good results so far but need to do several more coats on the worst pieces like the mud guard on the front fender, hand controls and airbox.

Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 24 Apr 2016 17:03 #722759

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Hey Gang,

Soooo been a little while since I had a chance to wrench in Saya, lots happened the past few weeks not the least of which is dealing with a psychotic and intrusive petty landlord. Been snooping through our communal trash, snooping through our back porch and all that. Technically it's legal and his property but that doesn't make it any less inappropriate. Told us we had to get rid of our patio furniture because he "didn't like it" and "it's my property I make the rules, I don't need a reason I simply don't like it" and said the same thing with the bike. So had to park it along the street and make it a target for theft and vandalism and all sorts of shit simply because "I don't want it there and that's your problem" and threatens to evict us. Well got fed up enough with his petty and power hungry BS that I found us a new home and we start the move over there next Saturday!!! Best pet is this is a larger and much nicer place with a backyard for our son, one level duplex and it had a garage!!!!!!! So I finally for the first time get to setup my own garage and shop space woohoo!!!

Now onto the bike :D Was able to sneak in some shop time this afternoon which will be the last shop time until the move is done near the end of May. Pulled the carbs off and put in the new 112.5 main jets and put 2 of the .5mm shims under each needle. Annoying side note, the holes weren't big enough to fit over the needle so had to hold these tiny little shims in a pair of vice grips and drill them out larger to fit. Put the K&N back in it and buttoned her back up. Went for a test ride and got Saya fully up to temp and then did a test run. Bad news good news time :( ..... Bad news is that there is still a bit of hesitation and stumbling from 1700-3800rpms. It's less noticeable and after getting up to temp and blowing it out it's even less noticeable but it IS still there :sick:

Good news time, at or above 4K though it's like a demon scenting blood holy shit! Definitely woke her up a bit and when I did a full power test run from 3rd up I ended up hitting a new highest indicated top speed. Wasn't even trying to was just doing a full power run to see exactly where she was at and saw 127 mph show up before I had to start braking since I was running out of straight no access empty road! :evil: :evil: :evil:

So the journey continues, I have four shims left so will try putting one more shim under each needle to see if it gets me where I need, pilot screws are maxed out at 3.5 turns so nothing more to adjust there. But that's part of the fun is staying at it and dialing it in perfectly ;)

Hope y'all enjoyed the read,
Brett

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 24 Apr 2016 18:10 #722773

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Sounds to me you have to go up one more step on the pilots.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

85 GPz750 Refresh Project 24 Apr 2016 21:44 #722808

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
I initially thought that and makes sense to me. The part that confuses me is that even one the Stage 2 and Stage 3 Dynojet kits don't increase the pilot jet sizes that I saw so not sure why they wouldn't increase it and shouldn't that mean something, I dunno :huh: :unsure: