Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi GPZ 07 Apr 2023 02:00 #882590

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
The one thing I can say about the Kiwi GPZ is that is not fastest build I have done. It is like a slow plod really. I am building a GPZ Turbo at the same time which takes most of the cash and focus but I still keep ticking a few jobs off as I go. Even started it the other day which was cool! Funny thing is that it is not too far from being a complete bike. Fuel tank is off having the petcock and FI valve holes being welded up. Fuel will go through the back out the guage cover. Seat is off being covered. Big jobs to get it done are mounting the clocks and ignition. Bleed up the brakes and clutch, and mount the body work. Happy days! After all that is done it's a paintjob and finished. All sounds easy! Anyways, I finally decided on a front guard. A Chinese copy of a ZRX400 one. Cheap, well made, and looks cool. Just a bit too long at the front so I got a mate of mine to mark out lines cos he's good at that stuff and I shortened it. Looks good, just need to draw and get some mounting brackets made. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi GPZ 15 Apr 2023 00:56 #883172

• larriken
  • User
Got the tank back today. No more holes on the bottom except where the fuel gage bolts in at the bottom. Next mission is to fit a fitting into the gauge hole cover that won't leak. Also think I will have to run a fuel pump but we'll get to it in good time.

Attachments:

Last edit: by larriken.

Kiwi GPZ 16 Apr 2023 00:33 #883212

• larriken
  • User
I was terribly slack with my photos on this one so apologies up front. I have had an ongoing problem trying to figure out how to find a suitable mount for the back brake torque arm. Changing the rear wheel and swingarm to the ZZR1100 (ZX11) has meant that the GPZ frame doesn't accommodate it easily. I thought about a bracket coming off the swingarm and a few other random ideas but finally settled on fabricating a bolt that uses the upper swingarm linkage holes. I made a steel bolt that has shank and thread letting me attach the torque arm to it. I think my very average photos will give you the idea. 

Kiwi GPZ 16 Apr 2023 00:39 #883213

• larriken
  • User
Knocked off another job that I have been meaning to get sorted for a while today. Mostly mounted the instruments. Again, staying with the budget nature of the Kiwi GPZ I used some steel mounts I found in my random parts draw, drilled a few holes, added a couple of spacers, and bamo! Another job sorted!

Kiwi GPZ 16 Apr 2023 00:45 #883214

• larriken
  • User
Started on fitting the ignition barrel a while back. To get it clear the frame as it sits in the ZRX triple clamps it requires a bit of metal to be removed! I had a go at getting everything to clear using an old ignition that was pretty much toast. Now to grind the clearance into the good ignition. Also need to wire in the Kawasaki ignition barrel to the plug from the Bandit 1200. The only niggly bit there is that Suzuki Bandit's have a resistor buried in the ignition that needs to be in the line to the CDI or the bike won't start. Next job lol.

Kiwi GPZ 16 Apr 2023 00:49 #883215

• larriken
  • User
Doesn't look like much has happened really but the Kiwi GPZ runs (bonus) and other than needing brakes and clutch bled is not far from needing paint to and job's done! Sounds simple when I put it like that honestly, it is getting closer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Scirocco

Kiwi GPZ 16 Apr 2023 00:56 #883216

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1787
All progress is good, with a new coat of paint should look great 

Kiwi GPZ 16 Apr 2023 06:16 #883217

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
There is a resistor in the ZRX ignition or there is a wire that leads to one. Maybe the brown wire. I’m recalling owners reporting problems with the resister going bad on ZRX's.
(If I can be any more vague, I don’t know how).
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Kiwi GPZ 16 Apr 2023 06:44 #883219

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Here is a pic of the ZRX 1200 switch. You can see the 100 Ohm resistor in the middle of things. If the Bandito wiring harness has one, too, then one of them probably should be removed. Do you know the resistance on the Suzuki resistor?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: blipco

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Kiwi GPZ 16 Apr 2023 08:22 #883224

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1787
On Kawasaki it's the grey wire. The ignition module gets battery voltage on the brown for power and approx 9v on the grey as a signal to switch on. If it see's battery voltage on the grey wire it thinks it is being hot- wired ( ign switch by- passed) so won't start
The following user(s) said Thank You: blipco

Kiwi GPZ 16 Apr 2023 08:50 #883229

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
Thanks for that picture TexasKZ. I looked in the ZRX manual and it shows no resistor in the schematic.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)