Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 11 Dec 2015 06:08 #702695

• 3EyedDuke
  • 3EyedDuke's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The Dude Abides...
  • Thank you received: 4
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationOkay guys, I think I have a solution for my non mechanically inclined self... A whole new wiring harness. Is this a possible solution or am I wasting my time and money?

Through zeal, knowledge is gotten; Through lack of zeal, knowledge is lost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 11 Dec 2015 06:35 #702697

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Not for that kind of money. I would repair what I already have using the wiring diagram in the manual.

Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 11 Dec 2015 06:43 #702698

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
If you can afford it and it is correct for your bike, it might be a good move. I'd rather see pics of the plugs and other things first. Maybe a wide angle shot of the wiring stem to stern with close ups on trouble areas. Carb bowls, mounts, points/pick ups, etc. A valve adjustment as well.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: dom2570

Re:Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 11 Dec 2015 13:58 #702748

• dom2570
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
I agree with Swest, better pictures and a little time with a diagram might be all you need.

This above picture, is for the fuel light indicator on the tank.

This one looks to be the starter solenoid ground...maybe

Your spark plug wires are definitely not stock, a picture of the coils and plugs could help us to help you.
Whip it like a mule!

Re:Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 14 Dec 2015 05:29 #703070

• 3EyedDuke
  • User
  • The Dude Abides...
Okay I'll go out and take some more pictures today. My owners manual just shipped this morning, so I've got some more waiting to do. I've just been focusing on cosmetic fixes over the past few days, painting this and that and getting rust off of stuff. I'll take some pictures of different things again, hopefully I'll get something you guys can go off of.

Re:Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 14 Dec 2015 05:47 #703073

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I was bummed when I realized how much money this bike was costing me but after all the painting and polishing, then the tear down for new parts, then I fired her up and went on that first ride, all that didn't matter anymore. Bossie the Kaw was back and this time she'll be better than new. :woohoo:
Steve

Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest.

Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 14 Dec 2015 09:19 #703089

• 3EyedDuke
  • User
  • The Dude Abides...
Hey Swest, NOBODY CARES!!! Lol just kidding, I'm just jealous. I sort of feel like that's how mine will be. I have the money to invest a little at a time now, but I cannot afford a "NEW" bike, or a used running one for that matter, so why not redo it all? New wiring and all, at least then I'll have peace of mind knowing that those items I replace won't go bad in the near future.

I have a question though, I'm looking getting new left and right side controls for my handlebars, since mine don't work (No idea why, temp turn signals were on here when I got it.) Is the brake supposed to be on the left or right? Mine is on the right, with the clutch being on the left. However, this new left side control contains the "brake light switch?"?? But there is no spot for this on my clutch, just my brake. Here is the link, am I crazy? or is this supposed to be on the right?
Attachments:

Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 14 Dec 2015 09:38 #703094

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
That switch prevents the starter from working if the lever isn't pulled in. I'd bypass it. Open up the controls and spray carb cleaner or cleaner you find at radio shack. That stuff has lube in it. I use spray lithium grease once they are clean. Also check and clean the ignition switch the same way. If the back is loose you can tighten it down with a punch at the crimps. There should be three of them.
It don't matter if anyone cares, it's my butt on the bike and it cares a lot. :woohoo:
Steve

Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 14 Dec 2015 09:42 #703096

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
BTW, I started cleaning and painting a year and a half before I had any money to put into it. Kept me sane. ;)
Steve

Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 15 Dec 2015 07:08 #703184

• 750Kruzer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
heres a pic of my set-up on a 1983 KZ750 LTD K wires to battery. As relates to image 3 (see quote below) the yellow and black wire can be seen on the neg side along with a larger wire. The pos terminal only has one wire . The front of the bike is to the left. I can take a better pic later.

martin_csr wrote: Right side coil --- 1-4 spark plug wires --- red & black igniter wires.
Left side coil --- 2-3 spark plug wires --- red & green igniter wires.

Image 2. probably the red power wire from the voltage regulator & is bullet connected to a red/white wire that goes to the starter solenoid pos (+). you'll have to trace the wires to verify.

Image 3. yellow/black is typically a ground wire, but I can't tell where it terminates.
Maybe the ring connector should be connected at the battery neg (-). ???

Image 4. could be for the low fuel switch from the fuel tank.

Image 5. The big connector is probably the ignition switch. the green should mate with green --- maybe the tachometer. There should be a blue/white accessory terminal (typically unused) & a black/yellow accessory ground terminal (also typically unused). Plus other stuff you'll have to figure out. speedo & pilot box lights. handlebar control switches. clutch switch. brake light switch.

Image 6. The red connector may be something to do with the turn signal canceling unit or the reserve light device. ???

Image 7. shows the accessory fuse box w the black/white accessory terminal.
There's also a blue/white accessory lead that terminates at the headlight bucket.

1983 KZ750 LTD Twin K1

Last edit: by 750Kruzer.

Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 15 Dec 2015 07:55 #703188

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
A 750 Twin is going to be different from a 750-4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750Kruzer

Problems; Where to begin '81 KZ750 LTD 15 Dec 2015 09:59 #703198

• 750Kruzer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7

martin_csr wrote: A 750 Twin is going to be different from a 750-4.

Thank you for pointing that out. :unsure: It did not occur to me :blush:
1983 KZ750 LTD Twin K1

Last edit: by 750Kruzer.