Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1978 KZ750 Twin B3 that used to be a off road bike 28 May 2016 16:34 #729012

• Timbox
  • Timbox's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Changed out the coil, right away the spark was must brighter. Sync the carbs there were a little off but not bad. Then tried to run a timing light off one of the plugs and set the timing. I was not happy with the way the bike was running were the timing light told me. So I split the difference and it sure starts and runs better.

Now to take the exhaust down to a local shop and see if they can copy it as I don't really want to pay the prices on Ebay for another exhaust for the other bikes.
Long time shade tree wrencher
KZ750 B3 (current Project)
03 B12S
09 KLR650
86 FJ1200
ZX14 (sold)
ZRX1200R (sold) Best bike I have ever owned, need another one

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Out with the good in with the broken 04 Jun 2016 16:14 #730049

• Timbox
  • User
Well sense the bike I started this Thred with does not have a title, I ended up swapping engine, wiring harness and all other items needed to another 1977 frame that had a title. So the 1977 is up and running.

This 1978 is the home of the 1977 seized engine. I just put it in the frame today and plan on getting the heads off very soon. I hope it is just a old and or stuck ring.
03 B12S
09 KLR650
86 FJ1200
ZX14 (sold)
Attachments:

1978 KZ750 Twin B3 that used to be a off road bike 20 Jul 2016 06:36 #735527

• njp1956
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi timbox take look through this The guy's name is Rolf Witthöft he won the German Enduro championship in 1978 in the over 750cc class it was bored to 701cc .Sorry the article is in German but there are a bunch of pic's to look at '
www.winni-scheibe.com/ta_portraits/rolfw.htm

I had started a 77 for off road I had XR500r front forks on it and the single shock with swing arm the rear suspension was fairly easy to a adapt to the KZ .But it was stolen before I could finish it .
I have a 76 and a friend just gave me a 90's Yamaha WR250 so my 76 is going to be made over to a adventure touring bike .
Here is a couple of things for you . I run GM HEI ignition , a early HEI dis. 4 prong ignition module .with the KZ 750 electronic pickup plate and mechanical advancer
also a 4.3 V6 HEI dual output coil , and NGK resistor Iridium plugs . You don't have to run a screw on cap with these plugs . I got 20 more miles to a tank when I went to the Iridium plugs .
things to note with using the GM module .
1 cut off the plastic pin on back of module ,it must be then mounted on a small aluminum plate using CPU heat sink paste with a good ground to the plate .
2 if the bike doesn't start a first just swap the wires from the pickup from one prong to the other on the module.
My bike runs great .I have a 4 plug head on it now but am only using 2 now , a machine shop teacher at a tec school helped me put the 2nd in .was an easy mod .
Well got to go If you have any ? just ask .Paul

just go to google images to look at the 4 pin GM HEI module wiring diagram . note these modules will run anything with a magnetic pick up and mechanical advance . Will replace early Kawi 4 cyl ignition boxes also

Last edit: by njp1956.

1978 KZ750 Twin B3 that used to be a off road bike 06 Dec 2016 06:48 #749640

• Timbox
  • User
That is a cool looking bike, I think that is more or less what I am aiming for. Just started up last night again, chasing down electrical issues. Next step is to make sure it runs and then start to move all the wiring to under the seat. Not putting the speedo and tach on, will go with some sort of electrical unit.

I will see if I can find a German to English translation for that site when I get the time. Sure is a good looking bike and lots of guts down low for the trail riders at heart.

Tim
03 B12S
09 KLR650
86 FJ1200
ZX14 (sold)

1978 KZ750 Twin B3 that used to be a off road bike 06 Dec 2016 18:05 #749683

• AtLarge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21

Timbox wrote: I will see if I can find a German to English translation for that site when I get the time. Sure is a good looking bike and lots of guts down low for the trail riders at heart.

Tim

Chrome will translate for you automatically. Just go to the page, right click to get the drop down menu, select translate to english. I use it all the time here:

www.z750twin.de/zforum/index.php

A member by the name of Michael there has a pretty nice twinnie dirt bike too.
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120

1978 KZ750 Twin B3 that used to be a off road bike 07 Mar 2017 07:29 #756046

• Timbox
  • User
Long time between updates, too many projects. I got the 82 750 running with the 76 carbs. BUT, the idle will not come down even at the lowest point and the throttle flies all the way closed. I did a cold compression check first and got 150 psi on both sides, that was nice. Once I got it running, starts supper hard, she ran very lean. I could also tell that the head was leaking a bit from the lest side possible both.

Here is the question, I have the head and valve cover from the 76 that seems to be in good shape. I would guess with the 76 head on the 82 engine with the 76 carbs it might run better or at least ideal. Either way I have to take the head off and see what is up with the head gasket.

Both engines had the same bore and stroke, I am guessing only the head and valves may have been different? I know the 82 had the smog head and the 76 does not. Any thoughts or should I just part the bikes out?
03 B12S
09 KLR650
86 FJ1200
ZX14 (sold)