Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 09 Nov 2015 14:47 #697979

• Daeldren
  • Daeldren's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Decided to move this over to projects as it's more fitting than continuing to post on my new member page. So I've been fiddling on this bike for about 4 years after I traded a dude a suzuki savage for it. My god how awful this bike was originally, I've put way too much money and work into this bike. Cleaned off all the overspray from where the PO tried to spray everything flat black? He wanted to build a bobber? Ended up picking up a spare running motor that has some higher miles (37k) on it but looked fairly pristine and did a valve adjustment. I have had her on a test run already which felt great to finally be able to ride her after all this time but we aren't done yet.

I have some weeping coming from the anti dive units after I replaced the orings, just refreshed the forks with progressive springs and new seals/bushings. It also looks like I'll be dropping the oil pan tonight after finding the drain plug stripped (how did I not notice this when I changed the oil initially)? And I still need to sync carbs and adjust float levels.

It's never done
Is something burning?
1984 GPz 750
1994 Xl 883
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Daeldren.

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 09 Nov 2015 18:45 #698005

• Daeldren
  • User
Pulled the oil pan from the bike and I'm going to swap it with the one off the other motor thats awaiting a rebuild.

No real debris in pan other than what looks like some pieces of the missing drain threads and a piece that looks almost like a wrist pin circlip. Confused though because it looks perfect, maybe it was dropped in the motor at some point and they never bothered to drop the pan.
Is something burning?
1984 GPz 750
1994 Xl 883
Attachments:

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 10 Nov 2015 03:13 #698015

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
That's what it is. What does your plugs look like? Is one cylinder burning oil?
Steve

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 10 Nov 2015 04:01 #698017

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46

swest wrote: That's what it is. What does your plugs look like? Is one cylinder burning oil?
Steve

It must be. There's no way the motor will digest a circlip and neatly deposit it on the oil pan without major carnage.
Alarming site though!
This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 10 Nov 2015 04:11 #698021

• Daeldren
  • User
That's what I was thinking too, I'll pull the plugs tonight and take a look at them. Maybe a compression test is in store.
Is something burning?
1984 GPz 750
1994 Xl 883

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 10 Nov 2015 04:19 #698022

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I don't think it came out while running. I'm just concerned it may have fallen in when it was being built and they didn't replace it. The wrist pins get stuck once run so you may be OK but if one cylinder is starting to burn oil, you'll know. The pin is starting to rub on the cylinder wall. :unsure:
Steve

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 10 Nov 2015 14:09 #698111

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
You've done a great job so far bringing it back from where it was to what it looks like now, will be a terrific ride and good looking bike by the time you are done, keep going!!!

- Irish
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 13 Nov 2015 02:52 #698421

• Daeldren
  • User
Got other oil pan installed, took me a good few hours to Clean gasket off upside down. Had a hell of a time trying to get her started last night finally this morning after charging battery all night I spritzed a little ether in the air box she fired right up, thinking battery is about gone, weak spark.

As for the circlip I'm going to run her a bit and pull plugs to check for oil, possibility that clip may be from transmission as I noticed there were a few clips in the parts diagram.
Is something burning?
1984 GPz 750
1994 Xl 883

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 17 Nov 2015 11:32 #699128

• Daeldren
  • User
I got tired of the anti dive leaking and pulled the left side off. Instead of making a plate with a valley for oil flow I gutted the unit and sealed both ends with epoxy putty. If this one works I'll do the other side. It may actually look cool to mill both ends and leave it as a finned cap.

Edit: I have already installed progressive rate springs and eliminated the brake lines to these units.
Is something burning?
1984 GPz 750
1994 Xl 883
Attachments:

Last edit: by Daeldren. Reason: Correction

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 24 Nov 2015 13:23 #700347

• Daeldren
  • User
Fixed the fork leaks and got new tires on her. Ran her a good bit after work, aside from hard start, been below freezing here in the mornings. I have B9ES plugs in right now so I picked up a set of the B8ES to see if that helps. Got some hanging revs and other minor issues, need to synch carbs and probably swap intake boots. But she is rideable and she sure as hell screams when you hit those higher revs.m
Is something burning?
1984 GPz 750
1994 Xl 883

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 25 Jan 2016 06:50 #708015

• Daeldren
  • User
Been a while since I updated, ended up having a lot of throttle issues such as hanging revs. Pulled carbs out and stripped them completely down and used a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner on them. Replaced old carb boots with new.

I also rechecked my valve clearances and found one exhaust valve was too tight, reshimmed. I'm thinking that valve was causing my hard start problems. Weird part was I shunned it to spec about 50 miles ago so I'm thinking there may have been some carbon buildup under valve seat. Now I need to do a float height check.
Is something burning?
1984 GPz 750
1994 Xl 883
Attachments:

Last edit: by Daeldren.

Getting a 84 GPz 750 on the road 25 Jan 2016 07:45 #708026

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
What did that HF device cost you?
Steve

• Page: