Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 07 Nov 2015 10:05 #697606

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
Are you going to sell the old set?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 07 Nov 2015 10:11 #697607

• BritGuyUSA
  • BritGuyUSA's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Patton wrote:

BritGuyUSA wrote: . . . The cams are in great shape, but clearances are running a couple of thou's slack on three of the valves. . . .

As known, factory specs are 0.002" ~ 0.004" for cold valve clearances.
Some report success with up to 0.006" for exhaust valve clearance.

Good Fortune! :)

Thanks Patton.

Even at 0.006" I'm out of spec on two of them. Definitely need to be re-shimmed. The head is coming off in the next day or so anyway - I want to have a look at the condition of the valves and the piston crowns next.
'75 Z1-B, '78 CB750K8, .79 CBX1000, '85 VF1000R, '94 XR650L, '95 Triumph Speed Triple

Last edit: by BritGuyUSA.

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 07 Nov 2015 10:18 #697608

• BritGuyUSA
  • User

peter1958 wrote: Are you going to sell the old set?

Hi Peter.

I don't want to sell the tank and tail that I just posted - I'm keeping those for sentimental reasons and as conversation pieces!

I do have another spare Z1 tailpiece and some side covers kicking around here somewhere that are surplus to my needs. Unfortunately the spare side covers have been reshaped at their leading edges for pod filter clearance.
'75 Z1-B, '78 CB750K8, .79 CBX1000, '85 VF1000R, '94 XR650L, '95 Triumph Speed Triple

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 07 Nov 2015 16:13 #697651

• BritGuyUSA
  • User
Change of plans. A big change of plans.

I'd originally planned to just tidy of the bike, fit my new rims, bodywork and the 4-4 system and ride it for a season before I delved inside the engine to fit new rings and refurb the head etc..

With my carbs unlikely to be back in my hands until early next year, I figured that I might as well use this time productively. One of the PO's gave the whole engine a very heavy coat of silver paint which has seen much better days (chipped and yellowing in places). I made the decision last night/this morning that I'm going to pull the engine/transmission and strip it down to the bare casings for wet blasting.

So - the front end reassembly is going to have to wait a while. The reason? I need the space that it would normally occupy on the bike lift in order to have a height-adjustable platform for the K & L engine stand.

Attachment KLStand3a-2.jpg not found

I discussed this issue briefly here:

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/600286-z1-eng...w-much-does-it-weigh

Wish me luck ...
Attachments:

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 07 Nov 2015 16:23 #697653

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
That is the bike lift I have been dreaming of :evil:
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: BritGuyUSA

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 07 Nov 2015 17:01 #697657

• BritGuyUSA
  • User

Street Fighter LTD wrote: That is the bike lift I have been dreaming of :evil:
Dave B) B) B)

Thanks Dave.

After too many years with my bikes teeter-tottering while strapped to an old Craftsman hydraulic bike jack/lift, I decided to treat myself to a proper lift last year.

They're not cheap, but they're less expensive than back or knee-replacement surgery!

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 07 Nov 2015 17:08 #697658

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Im still saving my pennies for that lift and a TIG welder :whistle:
Tools make me happy :P Especially those that help me keep working without having to bend at the knees or back :angry:
Nice shop ;)
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: BritGuyUSA

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 10 Nov 2015 17:40 #698143

• BritGuyUSA
  • User
I finally managed to get a couple of uninterrupted hours in the shop and started the teardown:

Attachment Teardown1a.jpg not found

Attachment Teardown2a.jpg not found

Attachment Teardown3a.jpg not found

Attachment Teardown4a.jpg not found

Attachments:

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 10 Nov 2015 17:52 #698145

• BritGuyUSA
  • User
Tomorrow I'll take out the valves to see how they look.

All piston rings are present, and free in their grooves.

I'll also be getting out the measuring equipment to see where I stand on the bores (they are stock 66 mm) - they look in reasonable shape bar #2, which has a very slight but detectable (fingernail test) ridge all around the bore 2/3rds of the way down. Hmmm.

One positive is that I found that both the head and the jugs will fit in my ultrasonic tank, when the time comes.

Attachment Ultra2a.jpg not found

Right now the carb-holder screws are soaking in Kroil. Someone either put Loctite Red on these, or they tightened them with an impact screwdriver. Grrrrrr.

Attachment Ultra1a.jpg not found

Attachments:

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 12 Nov 2015 19:04 #698406

• BritGuyUSA
  • User
To break the monotony of scraping off the baked-on headgasket using one of those freebie plastic drill guages (where the heck is my plastic razor blade scraper, huh kids??) and while waiting for the foaming gasket remover to work its magic, I decided to get out the bore gauges and micrometers to size up the cylinder block.

Attachment BoreCheck2.jpg not found

Surprise, surprise - this motor HAS already been bored to its first oversize ... 66.5 mms. (My initial measurement was quick and dirty using just a Mitutoyo engineers steel rule.) Overall all four are in good shape and within 1-2 thou's of round. I checked each bore at top, center and base, and in both North/South and East/West orientations. A quick hone to restore cross-hatching and they should be good to go.

Attachment Piston1.jpg not found

Explains why the pistons are aftermarket. A quick search reveals that 'ART' is a Japanese piston maker.

Next up I'll put the mic on the pistons and see if there's any wear there.
Attachments:

Last edit: by BritGuyUSA.

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 12 Nov 2015 19:43 #698407

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
  • Thank you received: 34

BritGuyUSA wrote: Tomorrow I'll take out the valves to see how they look.

All piston rings are present, and free in their grooves.

I'll also be getting out the measuring equipment to see where I stand on the bores (they are stock 66 mm) - they look in reasonable shape bar #2, which has a very slight but detectable (fingernail test) ridge all around the bore 2/3rds of the way down. Hmmm.

One positive is that I found that both the head and the jugs will fit in my ultrasonic tank, when the time comes.

Attachment Ultra2a.jpg not found

Right now the carb-holder screws are soaking in Kroil. Someone either put Loctite Red on these, or they tightened them with an impact screwdriver. Grrrrrr.

Attachment Ultra1a.jpg not found

what solution do you use in your ultrasonic cleaner?
1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

Another Z1-B getting a resto-rebuild. 12 Nov 2015 19:58 #698410

• BritGuyUSA
  • User

eddiem wrote:
what solution do you use in your ultrasonic cleaner?

Right now it has a solution formulated for carb gum and varnish removal as supplied by the cleaner manufacturer Sharpertek.

To clean the cases/head/cylinder after I wet-blast them I'll change over to a formula made specifically for aluminum 'brightening'. I'm still doing my research on which product is going to be the best for that.