Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 26 Nov 2015 03:26 #700595

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
It's cold here to but not like where you guys are. Have a good Thanks Giving and for the ones outside the US, have a good day. :woohoo:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 26 Nov 2015 16:34 #700707

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
I think I'm going to drop the needles and the next time I get a chance I'll do a full power cut out and then pull a plug or 2 if it still acts up.

Even making it worse is good, you can feel the change and tune accordingly.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 27 Nov 2015 04:44 #700768

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

Tyrell Corp wrote: Even making it worse is good, you can feel the change and tune accordingly.

We'll see. I actually think I've already made things worse. so dropping the needles might actually help.

The only other thing I think it might be is I forgot to put a timing mark on the advancer for 2-3 and the DynaS might be off on those cylinders causing issues at WOT. Maybe I'l check/adjust that first.

1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 29 Nov 2015 04:28 #701035

• GPzMOD750
  • User
It's been colder than the shady side of Hillary's mammary. It actually started snowing yesterday and hasn't stopped. Lightly but It's sticking. My space heaters aren't able to keep up and I don't want to open the door long enough to warm up the engine and set the timing so I'll wait until the weather isn't such a bitch.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 29 Nov 2015 05:49 #701048

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
It was friggen cold in the high desert and a little better down here. 60's during the day. I put a new heater valve in the truck but it was blowing cold air. Before I left yesterday I found it was backward. So much for one size fits all again. :pinch: I set it under the hood and had a warm drive home. It will be in the low 70's later this week so I will be getting some riding time in just nowhere to go. All the cool places are just that COLD. I guess I'll have to get use to being in a cage when I want to go there. :unsure:
Steve

1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 06 Dec 2015 15:49 #702207

• GPzMOD750
  • User
It was a beautiful day!

It would have been a great time to get my timing set and take it for another shake down spin. It WOULD HAVE if some numbnuts wouldn't have taken his advancer to work to put a better than half-assed 2-3 timing mark on it then forgot to grab it out of his tool box on the way out. :angry: it didn't even turn out as well as I'd hoped, that backing plate has been hardened like crazy.

Well, I had an excuse, I went to check out a car for my daughter's Xmas and 16th birthday present. A '99 Saab 9-3 that's asking price was half it's value because of a persistent Check Engine light. It's in great shape otherwise and I'm up to the challenge. I've got 9 mos. to sort it out and fix the little wear and tear things on it. Now I guess I'll be joining a Saab forum soon.

1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 06 Dec 2015 18:14 #702214

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Can you read the codes on it? I had a intermittent CE light coming on in my Euro. I replaced the MAP sensor and the O2 sensor. Still wouldn't pass smog. I cleared the codes and going around a curve, the light blinked. I checked the code, O2 sensor. Damn it I just replaced that. :pinch: Went to take it out, it was loose. :whistle:
Steve

Re:1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 06 Dec 2015 19:10 #702218

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Lol,

P0300- frequent random misfire.
P0171- lean running on bank one.

I understand it can be caused by o2 sensors among other things.

I'm in the hunt for the best Saab forum now.

It runs awesome right now, I just need to fix the CEL to get it registered. There's a laundry list of small things to fix it up after that.

Re:1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 06 Dec 2015 19:12 #702219

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Plug wires.
Fuel injected?
Steve

Re:1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 06 Dec 2015 20:18 #702225

• GPzMOD750
  • User

swest wrote: Plug wires.
Fuel injected?
Steve

Direct ignition and it's injected. the 171 can be anything from vacuum leak to fuel pump. The 300 can be caused by this or separate and can be the DI Cartridge, plugs or bad ground. One person I've found so far had a bad ECU.

One common issue is using a universal o2 sensor instead of the spec one.

I have a few self service yards around. One has half price Wednesday right by my work. Guess where I'll be on hump day.

Re:1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 06 Dec 2015 20:31 #702226

• redhawk4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
Haven't had much experience with SAAB's but having bought and worked on hundreds of cars bought through the dealer auctions I can tell you usually the system to lean code is an O2 sensor issue. The problem can be finding out which one, although the code usually indicates which bank it's lean on , bank 1 or bank 2 indicating which sdie of the motor if a V6 or V8, bank 1 is where cylinder 1 is. The difficulty is knowing if it's the one before or after the cat. Usually searching the internet will get you a good answer because you can guarantee some other owner is having the same issue somewhere.

The random misfire 300 code is usually something like coils, if they have the individual coils on each plug, you get one iiffy one and for some reason I don't quite understand, which also seems to defeat the object of separate coils it interferes with the others. Normally injectors, plug issues or a bad cylinder will give a 304 code or similar the last digit meaning the cylinder that has the issue in this case 4.

When you say persistent that can be bad news as once in a blue moon you get a vehicle that despite all efforts, it refuses to allow codes to clear, hopefully you don't get one of those, but that will depend on the efforts made to fix it in the past i,e, has it done the rounds of repair places or was it just an owner with little knowledge confused by the whole thing. Good luck anyway..
1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Last edit: by redhawk4.

Re:1982 GPz750 Phase II Making It more Unique. 06 Dec 2015 21:03 #702228

• GPzMOD750
  • User

redhawk4 wrote: Haven't had much experience with SAAB's but having bought and worked on hundreds of cars bought through the dealer auctions I can tell you usually the system to lean code is an O2 sensor issue. The problem can be finding out which one, although the code usually indicates which bank it's lean on , bank 1 or bank 2 indicating which sdie of the motor if a V6 or V8, bank 1 is where cylinder 1 is. The difficulty is knowing if it's the one before or after the cat. Usually searching the internet will get you a good answer because you can guarantee some other owner is having the same issue somewhere.

The random misfire 300 code is usually something like coils, if they have the individual coils on each plug, you get one iiffy one and for some reason I don't quite understand, which also seems to defeat the object of separate coils it interferes with the others. Normally injectors, plug issues or a bad cylinder will give a 304 code or similar the last digit meaning the cylinder that has the issue in this case 4.

When you say persistent that can be bad news as once in a blue moon you get a vehicle that despite all efforts, it refuses to allow codes to clear, hopefully you don't get one of those, but that will depend on the efforts made to fix it in the past i,e, has it done the rounds of repair places or was it just an owner with little knowledge confused by the whole thing. Good luck anyway..

yeah I'm going to do all the checks I can. I guess the "direct ignition cartridges" have been known to be an issue. The system on these cars are very sensitive to non spec components. Even had a guy say he had the issue after tuning up with Bosch plugs instead of the NGK OEM spec. I misrepresented the code, it was P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected. Then P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1). It's a 4 banger Turbo so it only has one bank. I put a tank of premium in it with some fuel system cleaner then I'll reset the ECU and go from there, I doubt that will be sufficient but it's worth a try. After that the wrenches come out.

I bought it from a College kid that had it less than a month. I think he bought it thinking he was getting a steel then decided he didn't have the time to get it running right on his own with it being his only car. I ran a Carfax and the person he bought it from has had it for about a decade. I think they suddenly got the CEL got spooked by mechanic and new parts costs and used it as an excuse to replace it. Like I said my daughter wont be 16 for another 9 months so I have plenty of time to do it right and on a budget.

I found a forum, SaabCentral that seems to be a good place for info just like here. Not one of those slow moving, never get an intelligent response if you get one at all from people just trying to guess. I'm just waiting for the verification email.