• Page:

TOPIC:

Newbie KZ550 A1 Project 26 Sep 2015 06:21 #691992

• Dirtystroker
  • Dirtystroker's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
I have had a KZ550 to rebuild for the last 2 years now, but only just got around to starting it as is the norm!
Whilst stripping the bike, i ended up buying a Z500, fitted with all sorts of spurious 500/550 combination bits -the one item that intrigued me was the braced swingarm that is fitted to it. I just wondered if anyone knew if this swingarm will fit with the rear drum wheel off of my KZ? I'd like to keep the rear wheel standard and not have to change to disc (I'm hoping if i were to weld a lug under the swingarm for the torque arm, then the width of the drum set up would be the same as the 500's disc setup). Pictures are attached of the original KZ and the spares bike.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Barry
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newbie KZ550 A1 Project 26 Sep 2015 06:34 #691994

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
No offense intended, but that home-made bracing on the spare swingarm looks like crap to me. I wouldn't even consider trading your original swingarm for that thing. Yours not only looks better it most likely is lighter and performs better. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Newbie KZ550 A1 Project 26 Sep 2015 06:43 #691995

• Dirtystroker
  • Dirtystroker's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Ed,
No offense taken :laugh: It is actually pretty light and from what i can tell it was made by Davida back in the day.
I'm still deciding which way to go, so will get some measuring done over the weekend and see if the drum wheel will fit :)
Cheers
Barry

Newbie KZ550 A1 Project 26 Sep 2015 08:09 #692002

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
You're not putting out 100+ HP so I think the stock one is good enough. The bracing could interfere with the brake arm. I like the squared arm and the bracing isn't too bad if painted.
Steve

• Page: