Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 09 Sep 2015 14:25 #689374

• Nelson
  • Nelson's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
This is a different type of project. I am writing a book about modified KZ's. I'm looking for people who have cool and interesting modified bikes that would enjoy having their bike featured in my book. Modified KZs come in huge varieties. There are cafe racers, drag bikes, choppers, bobbers, street fighters, wild one-off custom bikes, show bikes and more. I would like to have good examples of all of these in the book.
Have you customized a KZ? Do you have some good pictures of it? Please contact me if you would be interested in contributing to the book.

About me
I've been a motorcyclist for 40 years. I was a motorcycle mechanic for a while and I have owned several KZs and GPZs. I recently finished building my own KZ1000 custom bike.

I have worked as a writer, photographer, and video editor for many years. This will be my first book, and it's a labor of love, not a paying job. I think it will be fun and I hope to feature lots of great bikes.
What have you got?

Here's mine:
Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 09 Sep 2015 15:41 #689391

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
You may want to include a chapter on the folly of inadequate planning prior to starting the project. I'm sure there are tons of pics available to illustrate why one should lay out a plan before grabbing the hacksaw. The images below show just 3 projects that were started without a clear plan and then were abandoned.

Attachment UltimateFighterAFTER-4.jpg not found

Attachment Stupidashole-2.jpg not found

Here, on the other hand, is a pic of a well planned and executed project (1400cc KZ650!)

Attachment KZ6501400-3.jpg not found

And then there's this one! WOW!

Attachment Kawasaki_1600_V8_1974-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: The_Proletariat

Last edit: by 650ed.

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 09 Sep 2015 19:28 #689426

• Nelson
  • User
Those are great! Do you have any contact info for the owners, or just the websites they came from? Maybe I can track them down and ask for their permission to use their bikes in the book.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 09 Sep 2015 21:51 #689433

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Im pretty sure the last one is from Alan Millyard. A British guy with a habit of joining two engines together.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 10 Sep 2015 02:53 #689440

• 650ed
  • User

Nelson wrote: Those are great! Do you have any contact info for the owners, or just the websites they came from? Maybe I can track them down and ask for their permission to use their bikes in the book.

The 1400 / KZ650 belongs to J. Wilson who is/was a member of KZ650info. He hasn't logged on there is about 2 years, but maybe you can track him down by asking folks there. Here's the link to the picture - forums.kz650.info/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=726

The V-8 Kawasaki is an Alan Millyard. If you do a search online you will see that bike and some other unbelieveable creations including a KZ1300 that was converted to a V-12! (See below).

Here's another successful mod - a turbo. This was done by JB - see forums.kz650.info/index.php?action=profi...=showposts;start=105

Attachment 00003b-29.jpg not found

V-12

Attachment 00003a-98.jpg not found

Attachments:

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 10 Sep 2015 04:29 #689447

• Tyler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92
You could devote an entire chapter to Allen Millyard, he has built some rally amazing machines and they still look like they were built by the factory. He built some 4 an 5 cylinder 2-strokes that take a second look to notice that anything is different.

I would also suggest you look into Kawasaki's race bikes from the 70"s. That was an era of unprecedented experimentation by all the manufacturer's but Kawasaki was really thinking outside the box. The built a water cooled 2-stroke 4 cylinder bike with a trapezoid arrangement of the cylinders with 4 independent crank shafts. They also did a 4 square engine with 2 cranks the ran in-line with the bike frame.

I guess that's not really the custom bike stuff, but it some of the more interesting Kawasaki's ever built. Good luck with your book and let us know when you publish it!

Attachment KAWASAKI-KR-750-FOUR-CYLIND.jpg not found

Attachment KR750FOURCYLINDERPROTOTYPE.jpg not found

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tyler.

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 10 Sep 2015 09:27 #689488

• Nelson
  • User
Great ideas guys, thanks! The 2 strokes are way cool and I'm a 2 stroke lover, but I'm thinking the book is only going to be about KZs/GPZs because they are so popular with us regular guys and therefore more familiar, bigger audience, etc.

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 10 Sep 2015 10:35 #689495

• Tyler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92
That will be awesome! There are a couple books devoted to just the Z1, and I have a couple of books on Kawasaki motorcycles written by a couple of Brits.

One is "The Kawasaki Story: Racing and Production Models from 1963 to the Present Day" by Ian Fallon

The other is just titled "Kawasaki" written by Walter Mick

Good general reference and the authors may be able to help with images/content/ etc.
If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 10 Sep 2015 11:39 #689499

• Nelson
  • User
thanks, Yeah there are other books, but I don't think they focus on the modified stuff like I have in mind. I'm not planning to write the bike's history or racing stories cuz that's all been done before. I will definitely look up Allen Millyard.

Hey everyone - Don't feel like your bike has to be show quality or as wild as Allen's. I want some regular guy bikes too! Just as long as they have some cool mods that are fairly well done and the bike can be ridden.

Last edit: by Nelson.

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 10 Sep 2015 13:43 #689515

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Follow the BOTM thread here on KZR, It features the best stock and modified bikes this site has to offer
Look at our Cover fader on the home page showing a Turbo Z1R :evil:
Tons more are in process but I can only show one a month :pinch:
Street Fighter LTD
Dave
Here is a few of pic of my bike. It is not scheduled to be a BOTM as that would make it self serving

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD. Reason: spelling error

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 10 Sep 2015 14:10 #689522

• 650ed
  • User
Very nice bike!!! Clearly not the product of a 16 year old kid in a hurry with a hacksaw! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

Would you like your bike in a book about KZs? 10 Sep 2015 14:15 #689525

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
LMAO Ed :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
To bad he doesn't what perfect stockers eh :whistle: Ed

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Page: