Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1978 KZ400-C1 - Semi Cafe/Brat Build 28 Aug 2015 11:31 #687490

• txfirewarrior
  • txfirewarrior's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, new to the site and new to bikes, but so far I am in love. This bike is awesome, fun to work on and fun to ride.

I have a 1978 KZ400-C1 with about 17,000 miles on it. The tank has quite a bit of patina and wear on it, but overall the bike is in great shape and runs great.

There are several projects on the list:
  1. Replace handlebars with black Drag Bars
  2. Replace grips
  3. Replace all wiring
  4. Relocate the battery & regulator/rectifier open up the triangle under the seat
  5. Strip & repaint the gas tank
  6. Replace Speedometer, maybe add a tachometer (PO took it off)
  7. Chop the seat frame, build custom seat pan and seat

I will keep you updated on the progress by posting pictures and updates. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1978 KZ400-C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 KZ400-C1 - Semi Cafe/Brat Build 30 Aug 2015 04:37 #687786

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Welcome to the circus.. :silly: I mean the forums :P You're gonna be in for a treat if you go through the entire harness and decide to shorten or relocate the nest out of the headlight. Just make sure you study your harness very well before you start chopping, also it would be a good idea to make sure your charging system is in working order.
I visualized the same thing in my 440 build in regards to opening up the triangle side covers(I'm tossing the idea around of puttin a small disco ball or stuffed animal like how themJDM crowd has them on the tow hook) 2 of the hardest things you'll be dealing with are the battery. Ideally a smaller "maintenance free" type so you can mount it any which way. Then the second thing(assuming you have the CV flat slide carbs) is the factory air box. Those are the Two main tenants In that triangle.
Look through and read a few of the other builds posted to get ideas and easy questions answered. You'd be surprised how much "google search" will lead you to threads back here.
The members here are beyond helpful and are always willing to share their knowledge/expertise, or at least point you in the right direction. Keep us updated. We like pictures and stuff of your build progress of course :P

ed
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: