Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

First build and taking it slow for now. 26 Jul 2015 15:16 #682850

• Slopar00
  • Slopar00's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys I have an 83 kz440 ltd blet drive. I'd load pictures but for some reason the pictures don't come up when I attach them.

Anyways I want to keep it soft tail for now. I found a set of shorter shocks on fleabay price seems right but then j saw a bobber with some external reservoir shocks but seems I can't find anything that will handle the right weight range I'm looking for. I weigh 250lbs and need something handle that and the bike weight.

I'd like to get a brighter headlight. finding one seems to be much harder then I thought tho. I figure I'm going to have to do something custom unless someone can steer me towards a brighter one.

I've been messing with the rear fender a little trying to figure out a way to mount it. Does anyone have any pictures or know of any write ups so I can get some ideas?

I'd also like to cut the mufflers off and do something different. The foam on the air filter has a hole in it so I'm sure that's not doing much for keeping dirt out of the motor so I was thinking about doing pods good thing I did research before I ordered some because it seems likelike way more of a headache then I want to deal with. Is tuning possible with pods tho? I have a guy that's very very good with carbs and somewhat knows the cv carbs and said he could tune it with pods. How hard is the tuning for the exhaust if I cut the mufflers off and add some turn downs or something?
83 kz 440 bobber build. It's my 1st bike/ build I've ever done so it's coming along slow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Slopar00.

First build and taking it slow for now. 26 Jul 2015 15:23 #682853

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Get some shocks for a bigger bike. I'd keep it stock until you know if you're going to keep it or not. Bobbers are not only hard on the eyes but unless done well, I mean on a bike one would really want, it won't be worth you time or money.
Steve

First build and taking it slow for now. 26 Jul 2015 15:37 #682858

• Slopar00
  • User
I'm going to be keeping it. It's been in my family for a very long time and it's staying in my hands for a long time to come. That's why I plan on starting slow
83 kz 440 bobber build. It's my 1st bike/ build I've ever done so it's coming along slow.

First build and taking it slow for now. 26 Jul 2015 15:45 #682859

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I'm dressing out at about 240 and my Z1 knows it. If I have a chick go for a ride, she has to be slim.
Steve

Or have her own bike. Damn I wish I could have kept the 550. :dry:
Attachments:

First build and taking it slow for now. 26 Jul 2015 17:56 #682876

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

Slopar00 wrote: Hey guys I have an 83 kz440 ltd blet drive. I'd load pictures but for some reason the pictures don't come up when I attach them.

Anyways I want to keep it soft tail for now. I found a set of shorter shocks on fleabay price seems right but then j saw a bobber with some external reservoir shocks but seems I can't find anything that will handle the right weight range I'm looking for. I weigh 250lbs and need something handle that and the bike weight.

I'd like to get a brighter headlight. finding one seems to be much harder then I thought tho. I figure I'm going to have to do something custom unless someone can steer me towards a brighter one.

I've been messing with the rear fender a little trying to figure out a way to mount it. Does anyone have any pictures or know of any write ups so I can get some ideas?

I'd also like to cut the mufflers off and do something different. The foam on the air filter has a hole in it so I'm sure that's not doing much for keeping dirt out of the motor so I was thinking about doing pods good thing I did research before I ordered some because it seems likelike way more of a headache then I want to deal with. Is tuning possible with pods tho? I have a guy that's very very good with carbs and somewhat knows the cv carbs and said he could tune it with pods. How hard is the tuning for the exhaust if I cut the mufflers off and add some turn downs or something?

Pictures have to be the correct size. Here is something to help out with that.

As for the headlight, I went this direction

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Attachments:

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic. Reason: removed pic

First build and taking it slow for now. 26 Jul 2015 18:48 #682887

• Slopar00
  • User
How's the led headlight work? I tried led fog lights on my car and they were trash! Did you mount the light with the mounts right on ebay?

This how the pictures appear when I add them

First build and taking it slow for now. 26 Jul 2015 18:54 #682892

• Slopar00
  • User
Swest That's why I'm installing a solo seat! Nooo passengers :)

First build and taking it slow for now. 26 Jul 2015 18:59 #682893

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I carry a spare bucket in case I get lucky. It's happened. :whistle:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Slopar00

First build and taking it slow for now. 31 Jul 2015 08:01 #683592

• Slopar00
  • User
I've been reading up on some builds trying to figure out what I want to do and I came across a build where someone used wheels off a es250 or something. It looked real nice. Forgive me kz gurus if any questions I ask are stupid but are any wheels compatible to any bike? I realize that you have to watch widths and tire sizes but I want to try and maybe find something different for wheels.

First build and taking it slow for now. 31 Jul 2015 08:41 #683594

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Top tip on a first build would be try to get it all up and running good first, electrics, mechanics, carbs, brakes etc...then do things one at a time. I prefer to sort a bike out thoroughly first, then strip it down to a bare frame for paint.

It is easy to run out of steam on a long project, that's why so many old bikes end up in boxes. It is quite a job just rebuilding a bike, let alone having to restore every part as you go along. New tyres, batteries, paintjob comes last.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

First build and taking it slow for now. 31 Jul 2015 13:05 #683625

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Finding direct bolt on wheels from another model is virtually impossible. There are a lot of variables - axle diameter, spacing between th forks, spacing between the swingarm legs, drum verses disc brakes, number of front brakes, diameter of rotors, spacing of rotors from the centerline, speedometer drives, sprocket alignment and so on. Some are easier than others. First, decide what your goals are - modern tires, wide tires, spokes instead of mags, or mags instead of spokes,, upgraded brakes and so on. Do you plan to use the stock front and rear suspension, or will you modernize there? Figure out what the end result will be, and see if you can find a similar build and do what that builder did.
Doing something that nobody else has can be very rewarding, but it can also entail a great deal of work, frustration and expense.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

First build and taking it slow for now. 31 Jul 2015 13:48 #683633

• Slopar00
  • User
The bIke is 100% good to go. I've put almost 200 miles on it in 2-3 weeks. Love the bike it's an awesome first bike I'm ready to start making it my own now.

• Page: