Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 11 Jul 2015 11:43 #680406

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

swest wrote: 0.198 works out to be 5.04mm. Minimum thickness is 4.5mm. They look good. You might put in new pads and run them like they are.
Steve

Sounds good, I'll throw new pads on when i get the tires replaced....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 14 Jul 2015 20:37 #680912

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Quick update. I rebuilt the carbs over the weekend, I couldn't get the screws to come out of the mounting brackets so i rebuilt them coupled. They weren't too dirty, the PO said he had cleaned them out not long ago. 3 of the drain plugs were sized and/or stripped to where I couldn't get them out so I left those alone too. Some of the pilot jets were in tight enough that someone in the past had nearly stripped out the screw slots. That's as far as I've gotten at in actual wrenching. I'll do the first round of shim swapping here when i get a minute. I know I'll be doing it at least 2 times..... I am still waiting for the cover gasket and instrument cluster anyways.

I went to a local bike salvage today and had a look around, I was looking for a project seat but didn't find a KZ seat but i did find a ZX seat that looked like it might actually fit except for the up swept tip on it. I wasn't sure so I left it. Anyone know for certain? I'm going to alter it anyway so if it will fit by just removing the front part I'm game.

Having the worst case in mind I asked the guy if he had any heads for the 82 GPZ750s. He said he's had a few go through so there should be some engines in the lot somewhere... we'd just have to go through them. That I took as good news, I'm sure not many people hear that when looking for parts for this bike. I'm thinking maybe i should pick up an entire engine for spares and rebuild eventually.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 14 Jul 2015 21:20 #680920

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
If the price is right get it.
Steve

82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 15 Jul 2015 05:03 #680941

• GPzMOD750
  • User

swest wrote: If the price is right get it.
Steve

I just might but I'm in no hurry. I'm not sure I'd be able to ID the correct engine anyway, besides being painted black.

82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 15 Jul 2015 07:57 #680975

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I always had spare parts on hand until the Meth Heads discovered them. :angry: My fault, I should have protected them better. Those parts would be worth a lot of money now. They also kept me on the road for many years. Nice to have valves etc. in case of a break down.
Steve

82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 16 Jul 2015 19:50 #681205

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Another setback. I was swapping out the shims on the exhaust valves. I decided to do the exhaust and then the Intake. Everything came out great and I put in the prescribed shims in 2 & 3 and 2.00 shims in 1 & 4 so i at least know where I'm starting. I then placed the cam shaft back in position and started to refasten the cap bolts nice and slow in an alternating fashion. Just as I was starting to register some torque on my wrench one of the bolts snapped! I started to drill into it for an easy out but my drills stopped biting, Not that I know where my easy outs are at the moment, besides I'm sure I broke the small one last time I needed them . So I stopped trying to drill on that bolt and looked at the other bolt for that particular cap. It definitely looks stretched. So I packed the bike back up and now I need to get an easy out and drill to get the busted bolt out and order a new set of bolts as well. Anyone know the best place to get a set? I did find the factory part # 92001-1109.

Another wonderful thing... when I took the right side cover off to get access to the timing marks I noticed the lower screw wasn't there. It seems the lower thread boss and a chunk of the housing has been totally broken away. It looks like there isn't much remedy to that except a lower crankcase replacement. That spare engine is looking better now even if i just start swapping parts back and forth.

82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 16 Jul 2015 19:55 #681209

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
What did you have the torque set at on the torque wrench? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 16 Jul 2015 19:59 #681211

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I use oil on my drills. I was taught that in metal shop and I was a Machinist for a short time. (drilling out punch tailings on SS Allen head aircraft bolts. Thousands of them.) :sick: The oil keeps the bit from overheating and helps it in cutting.
The cases are milled as a set. You can't replace just one side. Better off having it welded, drill and tap a new hole.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

Re:82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 16 Jul 2015 21:10 #681229

• GPzMOD750
  • User

650ed wrote: What did you have the torque set at on the torque wrench? Ed

That would be nice. I'm using the low tech beam and pointer.

News flash, I just double checked the specs in the FSM compared to Haynes. The Haynes is typoed so it looks like 104 ft. lbs. not in. lbs. Son of a.... I'm now glad only one snapped. I don't even have an in. lbs. wrench. I'll be picking one of those up asap.

Re:82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 16 Jul 2015 21:16 #681231

• GPzMOD750
  • User

swest wrote: I use oil on my drills. I was taught that in metal shop and I was a Machinist for a short time. (drilling out punch tailings on SS Allen head aircraft bolts. Thousands of them.) :sick: The oil keeps the bit from overheating and helps it in cutting.
The cases are milled as a set. You can't replace just one side. Better off having it welded, drill and tap a new hole.
Steve

I think it's more about my crappy drills. I'll borrow some carbide ones from work tomorrow. Jesus I'm throwing that Haynes manual away.

I'll figure out something to patch that block up until I can get a full rebuild going.

Re:82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 16 Jul 2015 21:45 #681239

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
It will run with two.
Steve

Re:82 GPz750 keepin' it real,.. for now 17 Jul 2015 04:13 #681266

• GPzMOD750
  • User

swest wrote: It will run with two.
Steve

Cover screws? It only has one right now. I'll figure something out.