Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1981 gpz1100 project resto-mod 04 Oct 2020 09:15 #836141

• 577nitro
  • 577nitro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55

Rick H. wrote: Nice looking bike, very nice. And it's a brave man that tries to induce instability by whacking a handlebar end especially at high speed!

Rick H.

Thanks...yeah I started lightly on the whacking of the bars...and worked up to harder hits, so I knew basically how it was going to react. I would never have tried it in stock form.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 gpz1100 project resto-mod 04 Oct 2020 11:49 #836148

• 577nitro
  • User
So a question to those who have done the ZRX swingarm upgrade...because of the lower bracing I had to cut the Kerker pipe just past the collector and then fabricate a new curved section to clear the swingarm. I bought some 2.5 inch exhaust pipe off ebay and then made the flanges to fit it. It was bitch and took a lot of working and fitting to get it to clear. I tried to get a shop to help me but nobody wanted to try...too small a job or to scared... Did anybody have similar issues and how did you solve it?

1981 gpz1100 project resto-mod 04 Oct 2020 22:31 #836184

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
The gsxr wheels looks great on there. I have deal with simular exhaust problems before. I usually just buy a mandrel bend and play around with slices of it till i get the clearance i need. then welder up. masking tape does a surprisingly good job of holding the pieces if you wrap it super tight all the way round.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

1981 gpz1100 project resto-mod 05 Oct 2020 08:51 #836201

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
What an inspiring project. I just started stripping the Mrs' GPz11 just Saturday. This build has given me a bunch of ideas. Thanks OP!
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

1981 gpz1100 project resto-mod 05 Oct 2020 09:23 #836205

• 577nitro
  • User

slayer61 wrote: What an inspiring project. I just started stripping the Mrs' GPz11 just Saturday. This build has given me a bunch of ideas. Thanks OP!

Thanks...be happy to give any advice on the upgrades... I will admit I took a lot of advice and information from Dr. Gamma and his superbike restoration. I also
have old work buddy who, like Dr. Gamma (Bob) raced these bikes back in the day...wealth of information.

The old guys know their shit, straight up!

577Nitro-

Last edit: by 577nitro. Reason: Spelling...I spelled Bob as Dave...Doh!