Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kz440 Redemption 18 Aug 2015 05:35 #686190

• Jbosh
  • Jbosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Davido, I really like that breaker press! The handles and clamping system are bang on what I'd like to have at some point myself. Thanks for sharing and kindling some further ideas!

It felt a little dirty putting new kawi decals on the tank compared to the light metal badges that are original but the finish is what I am going for. The engine was painted and clear coated with duplicolour engine gloss black and clear. Full cure will come after the engine runs at temp for a bit. Honestly, I prefer the duplicolour over vht in hindsight but I'm more concerned about riding than nitpicking at this stage. I just took my palm sander to the top fins on both sides of the engine to add that silver accent then clear coated overtop. I'm pretty happy with the finish :woohoo: . Wiring tray and seat will be next. I have to redesign the hinge setup if I am using the original hinge mounts and lock with the new seatpan. You know I'm loving this!
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jbosh.

Kz440 Redemption 18 Aug 2015 22:08 #686316

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
I mentioned the seat hinge earlier in a post. Tonight I got the itch. I am unsure if this has been done before but 1/4" steel rod has made a fantastic platform for me to build from now.

Attachment image-48.jpg not found

I need to find clamps, or something to attach the rod to the aluminum seat pan now but I now have a properly hinging platform using the stock hinge pivots on the frame! Next up will be arranging the lock tubing (3/8") once the seat is set.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jbosh. Reason: Technical correction

Kz440 Redemption 20 Aug 2015 10:06 #686491

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
sorry for the late reply on your question bosh. Personally, I'd weld it, otherwise the silicone would be next. The jbweld will more than likely start loosing it's adhesion to the alloy expanding/contracting from ambient temperatures and flexing cause it's really thin. If you didn't do it yet, try to find "silicone II" made by ge. Strong stuff, I used it 4 years ago building my reef aquarium and sump.
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

Kz440 Redemption 25 Aug 2015 22:50 #687150

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Lots has happened since I last posted!
The rear end has taken shape. Custom aluminum work out of a small sheet of 1/8 one side clear anodized has yeilded mounts for the taillight, signal lights, license plate, and plate bolt LED's.

Attachment image-49.jpg not found

The wiring tray has taken shape. Thanks Tig for your input on the glue. I ended up using PL Premium which setup very well for the main box seams and then a combination of 100% lepage all purpose epoxy as well as extra strength super glue on the tight seams around the battery box mounting to the wiring tray. That super glue is gnarly stuff for precision tight fits!! As a glazier, I've had access to aluminum curtain wall cutoffs which helped with the battery box (4" box mullion w/ the top cut out). 1" glazing track made the rear light assembly.

Attachment image-50.jpg not found

I mentioned the seat hinge idea earlier. Now I say it worked out! Put all that's been said so far in this post and viola!

Attachment image-51.jpg not found

With the battery box sitting just forward of the rear tire, the wiring tray and battery box effectively replace that old plastic fender. I thought about using the old chrome fender end with the light and plate mount but the bike finishes up nicely without and the plate mount basically acts as a rear fender. I think it cleans up nicely!

Attachment image-52.jpg not found

Attachment image-53.jpg not found

Attachment image-54.jpg not found

Incase you wondered, yes I did do a happy dance to mark such an occasion. It was very fitting lol.

The wiring tray ended up fitting snugly between the opposite upper rear shock mounts. With this and the bend in the frame as flush points, really, the zip ties are only secondary. For any wondering, I do have a template for the wiring tray and battery box. Yes I can make it available. I'll get the bike on the road first and trouble shoot a few things setup wise before sharing though in an effort to not pass on unnecessary headaches to anyone.

Boy am I loving this.
Attachments:

Re:Kz440 Redemption 26 Aug 2015 11:12 #687199

• dom2570
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
I might need to have a look at those templates. Looking great!
Whip it like a mule!

Last edit: by dom2570.

Re:Kz440 Redemption 27 Aug 2015 23:16 #687433

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Dom, the template has worked out fairly well although I am just entering the wiring stage. The more I reconnect, the more I am unsure if I allowed enough room for the wire to go where it need to on the bike. I'll keep feeling it out and may have an adjusted template for you to work off at some point in the near future if you are cool with it. Really, as of this evening, the wiring loom has been put back in place and the only major issue thus far is the need to extend the rear signal light wire. The wiring tray is going to be pretty full! You haven't switched out the signal lights before and by chance know which wire connects to what concerning the rear signal lights do you? I have them labelled but I have a 50-50 chance on each lol. The carb is in. The new boots required lube. The pod filters... well, they are a bit of a stretch. Literally. No dice yet.

It should be only a matter of days...

Re:Kz440 Redemption 28 Aug 2015 04:12 #687437

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Jbosh,Im not having a go but it looks like one good rain storm and your electrics tray will be a swimming pool. Can you drill some drainage holes in it so the water wont collect??
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Re:Kz440 Redemption 28 Aug 2015 22:42 #687562

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Davido, you sir are on to something :whistle: . I have gasket coming to seal up the sides of the seat to the frame and tray. That said, drain holes are a wise addition! I put them in at work all the time... :blink: .

Re:Kz440 Redemption 29 Aug 2015 00:31 #687565

• davido
  • User
What about your regulator/rectifier? Are you putting that under the seat with all the electrics? From what I understand,it needs some airflow to cool it. If you put it in a sealed place you might have overheating problems.
Im not an electrician so I may be wrong but you should check it out before cutting all your wires to length.
Nice job on the hinges.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Kz440 Redemption 30 Aug 2015 08:54 #687815

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Davido, I did take a peek atm the regulator/ rectifier and with those heat sinks on it, I'm assuming it will need airflow or access in some way to air for cooling. There is a gap at the front of the wiring tray though I recall the rectifier hanging outside the old battery harness. I wonder if it is omnidirectional and can be mounted upside down? Right in front of the batt box would be an option then.

I fit the pod filters (who was the :pinch: that designed those!!) and I can't even get them on the carb! I measured things a bit tight so the wiring tray is fairly tight up to where they will sit. But there is room... I'm debating on taking the whole carb off, and swapping the carb boot to engine screws for hex bolts so that I can get it all on as one piece verses trying to ream on the pod filters amidst the frame and tray :angry: . Yeah. My dislike for JIS and Philips heads has not changed. Some of them just seem to be in the most inconvenient places.

The big problem that I have though is the headlight. I'll post a few pics in a bit and ask for some input as I have only the two wires for the stock headlight right! Yeah the new LED assembly has 6??

I'm giving myself another month. Oh optimism. For you belt guys out there, how in the heckles do you get that disk back on the drive wheel that holds the belt on?

Kz440 Redemption 30 Aug 2015 11:42 #687860

• davido
  • User
The reg/rec on my bike was fitted upside down as standard (underneath the battery box) so you should be ok doing that. What pods have you got? round or oval? Ive seen oval K&Ns used a lot and from the measurements of my carbs , I reckon theyre the only ones that would fit.
No idea about belts.
Good luck
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Kz440 Redemption 30 Aug 2015 20:05 #687970

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
+1 on getting some airflow to your reg/c. I've recently found out that the reg/c unit gets a little spicy when there's no electrical load on it. I traced the footprint of mine onto the new tray, cut it out strategically so I could mount it upside down leaving the cooling fins exposed to outside air.
you can sorta see it there off to the left had to make some 6x1.0 bungs cause I didn't want any nuts showing underneath :dry: (bumblebee tuna?)
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh