Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:Kz440 Redemption 26 Jun 2015 11:57 #678346

• dom2570
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
Damn, this is looking good. I am digging the seat and the electronics tray. I may have to try and mimic that with mine when I get back to working on them.
Whip it like a mule!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz440 Redemption 26 Jun 2015 13:02 #678352

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286

Jbosh wrote: Davido, thanks for sharing that link to your build thread! I see what you did there seal wise and I like it! Great idea and very simple. The electronics tray will be getting attention this evening but that there seal idea will have my mind on it for the next few days. Thanks for helping out this Canuck!

No problem Jbosh.i have a soft spot for Canucks as I have family there and my best drinking buddy here is Dutch/Canuckinan. As for the engine sealing,like I said,if I were to do it again,I would grease the exhaust ports afore sealing them.
Keeping an eye on your seat build as Im going to have to deal with that myself soon.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Kz440 Redemption 26 Jun 2015 16:15 #678365

• Shimmy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
The comfort of my seat is all right; it was never intended to be used for hours on end, and starts getting uncomfortable about the same time I need a break from reaching the clubman bars. :lol:

If I were to do my seat again, I'd probably put a layer of softer foam on top for a bit more comfort and to smooth out the appearance a bit. A layer of yoga mat might just do the trick.

EDIT: The seat as it looks in my profile pic was when it was 3 layers and flat - I added the other 4 layers and carved it into an arch shape because the sides of the seat were digging into my legs.
1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

Last edit: by Shimmy.

Kz440 Redemption 29 Jun 2015 04:40 #678677

• Drafter89
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
[quote="Shimmy" post=678365

EDIT: The seat as it looks in my profile pic was when it was 3 layers and flat - I added the other 4 layers and carved it into an arch shape because the sides of the seat were digging into my legs.[/quote]

How did you upholster the mats?
78 KZ 400 C1-Daily Driver
New Albany,IN

Kz440 Redemption 29 Jun 2015 08:31 #678695

• Jbosh
  • Jbosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Well, today is a day off from work! Canada day is Wednesday but this way the guys at my shop get a long weekend haha. Many things going on but the morning started with the second skim layer of bondo on the knee wells. Really trying hard that this isn't too thick as I know there is a max that you should go with bondo. Knee wells where hammered out (as you can see in previous pics). Now it is just a wee bit of shaping and small dent filling due to my ball pin hammer.

Attachment image-17.jpg not found

It's all coming along!
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 29 Jun 2015 16:18 #678761

• Shimmy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
I just upholstered the mats using a piece of black vinyl, held on top with the spray adhesive, wrapped around and riveted to the seat pan underneath. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but keeps the weather off of it until I get the time to do something nicer or the budget to get somebody else to. ;)
1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

Kz440 Redemption 29 Jun 2015 21:00 #678797

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Oh what a productive day!!

Attachment image-18.jpg not found

The seat is setting up over the next 24 hours before a good trim. I used painters tape and tacked the edges of the bottom layer of foam down to the seat pan as I want to finalize another idea for the seat hinge and am not really feeling the love for prying glued foam off of the aluminum pan! If only I had remembered to put the finished aluminum face down... ya voops. I want those layers to freeze right where they are. Ha antifreeze :P.
All those bits and bobs got stripped, primed, and glossed. I have too much fun with aircraft remover! It's just sooo cool watching it.

Attachment image-19.jpg not found

That did mean taking apart the instrument cluster more than I was anticipating, Really, I'd still like to take the glass face off and tidy up the tach and speedo face with armour all and glass cleaner but that will be another day. I'm getting ambitious now! I want to ride this thing before I need a skidoo instead of a bike!
The forks finally got primed and painted as well! That for some reason felt like a milestone.

Attachment image-20.jpg not found

But the big news of today was this!!

Attachment image-21.jpg not found

So many things lined up just right for one day. I'm exhausted but with a smile on my face! Next week I'll do final coat on all that was painted today. Need to do final coat on the rims so that I can get the rubber on them! I'd be sanding down the tank now but I figured with paint drying, that dust would be like an Easter bunny at a Christmas party.

Alas, I am feeling like a million bucks today B). I'm going home before I stare at that shiny frame for another 15 minutes lol.
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 30 Jun 2015 04:47 #678808

• Drafter89
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Lookin good bud!
78 KZ 400 C1-Daily Driver
New Albany,IN

Kz440 Redemption 30 Jun 2015 22:16 #678903

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
A sneak peek!

Attachment image-22.jpg not found

6 days until paint has cured so it's time for some sizing up and planning through the next steps along with engine and fuel tank work (which are both at 50-60%). Frame and forks paint turned out below expectations. It'll work for a good base coat but now I need more paint! The triple tree and instrument cluster bases turned out saweet!
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 01 Jul 2015 15:31 #678988

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
So I decided to pull out a few parts and just take a peek at how they will setup considering where my bike is at currently with the paint wrapping up in a week or so. I grabbed my new RFY nitrogen shocks and discovered that the 12mm bushing didn't fit so well on the 15mm shock pivot on the frame, I then grabbed the Chinese halo LED 7" headlight and attempted to pair it with my new 7" headlight bucket and rim compliments of DCC. There was no match made in heaven either. Cmon! The headlight has hope still but will require some modification probably on the headlight bucket rim and inside mounting bracket. The shocks can possibly be mounted without bushings? I'm not a big fan of doing that personally but I'll post what I do when I figure it out.

I think my problem is that I should be celebrating Canada Day instead of fretting about my bike for one day ;). That's hard as today marks the first day over my intended goal to have the bike back on the road. It's been over a year now. But it won't be much more!

Kz440 Redemption 01 Jul 2015 15:58 #678992

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Davido, just want to thank you again for passing on Chris's contact (www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/598118-h...ocks?start=20#671700) with CL Auto Tech (chrislivengood.net/wp/rfy-shocks-rebuild-service/) in regards to my hunt for reasonably priced nitrogen shocks. The guy literally emailed me back about my bushing issue an hour after I sent it. Just continually impressed. Big shout out to you both!

Last edit: by Jbosh. Reason: Missing web link

Kz440 Redemption 01 Jul 2015 23:07 #679068

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Alright, I got super curious!

Attachment image-23.jpg not found

Headlight fits! Unsure where the grill clips go though. Also, the headlight bucket brackets that are stock with the bike are a full 3/4" too narrow for the DCC 7-3/4" OD bucket :huh: . Nice assembly though! All I had to do was align the three tabs on the headlight itself with the bucket ring and sleeve. Tada! How'd I miss that! May need fork clamps to mount the new light afterall! What do you think of just bending out the old headlight to bike stock mounts? It is just 3/4". 3/8" per side? I'm debating.
Attachments: